Please Ping Some Ips For Me

la69

Greetings,

I was hoping a couple of people could ping 4 IPs for me for a couple of minutes and then post the results here.

The adresses are:

uk.focusvpn.com (adress in the uk)

123.108.108.138 (adress in hongkong)

121.156.56.106 (adress in korea)

203.211.132.51 (adress in singapore)

These are adresses to vpn-service servers in various countries. I play some games on the internet but it is almost impossible to play anything from here. Most of the problems are probably related to my cables to the telephone station but some are ofcourse the general bottleneck going out from bangkok.

Together with the Vpn company we are trying to find better solutions and they have come up with a redirecting tunnel from one of these servers. I just have to pick one. I am hoping to get a bit more feedback about pingtimes to these servers from other people though as it may help me with the troubleshooting with my Isp.

So if someone has 20 minutes available and could ping a few mins on each one of these Ips and post the result or PM me together with the Isp that you are using I would be very grateful.

(In order to play Lordoftherings I must use a Vpn to get european IP as lotro europe dont allow IPs outside europe due to licensing rights.

EqII works most of the time however even very very slow at times. I dont need Vpn for Eq2.

I dont need Vpn for Ffxiv either but that one I have only been able to log into 5 times out of a couple of hundred attempts.)

Best regards

/la

Pings are not "high priority" packets. That means pings are not good indicators of traffic rates. Moving real data (http, ftp, etc) is a much better indicator.

A tracert (Win) to the IP's is better as it uses a different protocol, and shows how the packet travel and you can deduce the latency spots, but data is the best bet.

A VPN tunnel will still travel over the same links and there is encryption overhead at both ends. There is some compression by the nature of encryption, some minor amount of speed improvement will occur.

On the plus side, today's processors are much better at encryption/decryption.

Not currently in Thailand, so I can't help with what you want, but from the US, all go by different routes.

Pings are not "high priority" packets. That means pings are not good indicators of traffic rates. Moving real data (http, ftp, etc) is a much better indicator.

A tracert (Win) to the IP's is better as it uses a different protocol, and shows how the packet travel and you can deduce the latency spots, but data is the best bet.

A VPN tunnel will still travel over the same links and there is encryption overhead at both ends. There is some compression by the nature of encryption, some minor amount of speed improvement will occur.

Not currently in Thailand, so I can't help with what you want, but from the US, all go by different routes.

regardless of how useful it may be from different points of view...

I also made some traceroutes..

I'm in Samutprakarn using True 12/1

These files have Unix line endings so don't use notepad to open the attached files, wordpad will handle it better...

Martin

t.txt

p.txt

Edited by siamect

Thanks a lot for the replies!

Yeah, ping is only one way to measure a connection and not really a good one as some said. I use tracert and also pathping a lot together with pings. The thing is that the uk server is at many times completely unreachable for me and the company is suggesting a redirecting tunnel but I should try to find out which one to use. Since my pings are rather slow, around 2000ms for most of the part, and tracert times out sometimes I thought I could see some input from other users as I probably have faulty internetconnections from the house. This could perhaps help me a bit more with the troubleshooting.

There are some good speeds (from my point of view anyway) out there. =)

Once again, thanks!

/la

regardless of how useful it may be from different points of view...

I also made some traceroutes..

I'm in Samutprakarn using True 12/1

These files have Unix line endings so don't use notepad to open the attached files, wordpad will handle it better...

Martin

Now this is interesting, on each of your traceroutes, this shows up at the fifth hop, sometimes in different sequence:

5 119-46-78-130.static.asianet.co.th (119.46.78.130) 57.365 ms 119-46-176-102.static.asianet.co.th (119.46.176.102) 61.486 ms 58-97-25-102.static.asianet.co.th (58.97.25.102) 61.656 ms

Looks like some poor asymmetrical routing or router issue through asianet.co.th.

That could mess up some connections.

Don't see that very often.

Now this is interesting, on each of your traceroutes, this shows up at the fifth hop, sometimes in different sequence:

5 119-46-78-130.static.asianet.co.th (119.46.78.130) 57.365 ms 119-46-176-102.static.asianet.co.th (119.46.176.102) 61.486 ms 58-97-25-102.static.asianet.co.th (58.97.25.102) 61.656 ms

Looks like some poor asymmetrical routing or router issue through asianet.co.th.

That could mess up some connections.

Don't see that very often.

I think it is just that they have alternative routes to distribute the load. From http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Traceroute

Traceroute works by increasing the TTL value of each successive batch of packets sent. The first three packets sent have a time-to-live (TTL) value of one, expecting that they are not forwarded by the first router. The next three packets have a TTL value of 2, so that the second router will send the error reply. This continues until the destination host receives the packets and returns an ICMP Echo Reply message.