Rock Climbing, Zips, Frisbee Golf

brahmburgers

Planning to open on the weekend of February 5 and 6 2011: an outdoor rock climbing venue called Boomerang Adventure Park. map Besides the beautiful limestone cliffs (two dozen routes, all skill levels) it also has 2 zip lines (160 meters) and a 9 hole frisbee golf course. We're also building a small outdoor restaurant with pizza oven. Drop by and check it out.

Still could use some staff, English speaking Thais or hill tribers. Boomerang

Malware?

This link is not authorized by Yahoo!

If you would like to continue to this link's intended destination at your own risk, click here.

The cable at the far end (towards the rock face) is anchored to the - rock. The other is suspended on a wooden post and I presume to a concrete block burried in the ground - although I must admit that I did not inspect this. The cable looked a bit too small for me - honestly - but I am not a zip line enthusiast so I may be wrong.

Fees are rather decent as well - 600 baht for half day, 1,000 baht for full day. You can do everything (rock climb, zip line, frisbee golf). At least that is what I was told.

Attacheds is a photo I took yesterday. Shows the two zip lines. The rock face at the background is where they intend to have the rock climging activity.

Are the "zip lines" attached to trees (looks like) or purpose made posts/towers?

Attacheds is a photo I took yesterday. Shows the two zip lines. The rock face at the background is where they intend to have the rock climging activity.

Are the "zip lines" attached to trees (looks like) or purpose made posts/towers?

The zip lines are anchored to stout limestone at the upper end, and to a 4" diameter steel pole frame at the lower (arrival) end. 'guy wires' go from the top of the pole frame to anchor in 1 cubic meter concrete anchors points in the ground - much like a suspension bridge is anchored. The zip wire is 10 mm galvanized steel cable with a test strength of over two tons. There are two zip lines, side by side, 160 meters long. brief videos online of two zips at the park: one is of 'a zipper' the other is using a hand-held camera while zipping.

other photos:

post-10297-0-56663500-1291936294_thumb.j

post-10297-0-46422100-1291936349_thumb.j

post-10297-0-65657900-1291936423_thumb.j

just got a map drawn of the 9-hole frisbee golf course.

Also, got a load of 3 sided boomerangs on order (trimerangs?) ...so we may wind up having the world's first boomerang golf course. Just googled 'boomerang golf course' and tens of thousands of listing showed up, but I think they all relate to actual golf courses named 'Boomerang' - rather than a golf game using boomerangs. If anyone knows of an existing golf venue that uses boomerangs or trimerangs, let me know. Otherwise, I'll stick my neck out and call Chiang Rai's Boomerang Adventure Park the world's first course that uses boomerang type flying devices.

Also planning to offer the option, mainly for little kids, of playing the course with softball-sized plastic balls or bean bags. Price to play the 9 hole course is Bt.100, and kids under 13 accompanied by an adult are free. There are also 20% discount days for everyone, based on age. Example; Tuesdays:15 and under, Wednesdays:16 to 25, Thurs:26 to 45, Fridays:those over 45. Closed Mondays, and no discounts on weekends. The park won't open for biz until the first weekend in Feb.2011. see you there!

post-10297-0-80558200-1292330551_thumb.j

just got a map drawn of the 9-hole frisbee golf course.

Also, got a load of 3 sided boomerangs on order (trimerangs?) ...so we may wind up having the world's first boomerang golf course. Just googled 'boomerang golf course' and tens of thousands of listing showed up, but I think they all relate to actual golf courses named 'Boomerang' - rather than a golf game using boomerangs. If anyone knows of an existing golf venue that uses boomerangs or trimerangs, let me know. Otherwise, I'll stick my neck out and call Chiang Rai's Boomerang Adventure Park the world's first course that uses boomerang type flying devices.

Also planning to offer the option, mainly for little kids, of playing the course with softball-sized plastic balls or bean bags. Price to play the 9 hole course is Bt.100, and kids under 13 accompanied by an adult are free. There are also 20% discount days for everyone, based on age. Example; Tuesdays:15 and under, Wednesdays:16 to 25, Thurs:26 to 45, Fridays:those over 45. Closed Mondays, and no discounts on weekends. The park won't open for biz until the first weekend in Feb.2011. see you there!

I hope you're advertising on the Chiang Rai Focus website.

I found Chiangraifocus recently. Looks good at a glance, but it appears to be all in Thai. Was able to post a couple notices though, via emailing their address. chiangraitourist web site is gaining momentum, and am finding it useful for posting coming events. Plus, they're branching in to doing reviews of interesting places in the area. Actual reviews, not just cut and pasting press releases - which is what all newspapers do, large and small.

Indeed, you'd think Bkk Post and the Nation were subsideraries of Toyota and other brand name car/luxury dealers, as every day they have press releases (with the ubiquitous pretty teen female models). Doubtful that most of those quarter page spreads are paid for by the multi-billion dollar conglomerates. More likely they just submit the blurb and photo, and reap free publicity.

While I'm ranting, I'll mention the 8 full pages that Toyota got from Bkk Post (yes, probably paid for). What gets me is the large amounts of toxic ink it takes to print so many pages (nearly all glossy black on glossy paper). I wrote a letter to the Post mentioning that, and not surprisingly it wasn't published - though most other letters I submit to them are published. All the heavy metals in that ink gets dispersed in the environment, either in the air, water or earth - and a significant portion probably winds up in food we eat and air we breathe. Can anyone reading this can do an estimate of how many liters of ink it takes to print 8 dark pages X the # of papers they print?

Yes, CRfocus is in Thai. So, if you're wanting the local Thai population for customers, that is a good place to put a free ad. If you're only after Farang tourists, don't bother with CRfocus.

Not only after farang. Would love to see locals engaged in the activities - some of which are free.

Yes, CRfocus is in Thai. So, if you're wanting the local Thai population for customers, that is a good place to put a free ad. If you're only after Farang tourists, don't bother with CRfocus.

Not only after farang. Would love to see locals engaged in the activities - some of which are free.

Good to know that. Now, you need to hook up with some of the Thai bus/touring companies that bring the throngs from the south.

• 1 month later...

Getting ready to open soon. Have added fixed lines for traverse climbing (horizontal, rather than up and down). Several traverse routes with double anchored cables (each 1/4 inch steel): some as long as 16 meters long and fifteen meters high up the rock faces. It may be the only of its type in the world, not sure.

Last week, we added an 8 meter long tightrope, which also has an overhead 1/2 inch safety cable. The tightrope is actually a 3 inch wide heavy strap.

Today, am adding a fixed rope, hanging 9 meters from a stout tree branch - for ascending and descending, using hand held ascenders. It's a technique sometimes used to enter and leave caves from above.

We also cleaned up a small cave space with low ceiling and are calling it 'Children's Cave' or 'Tam Kong Dek' It has lower and upper openings, lots of natural light, and a several 'cubby holes' to play in. Altogether, about 7 sq.M in floor space.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, made through opening day - no glitches. Roughly two dozen revelers on Saturday, all smiles and good cheer. One Brit fellow was first to climb a couple of routes. Still a few routes which have not yet been climbed (top rope style, very strong anchors and support equipment on site).

Thus far, about 100 people have used the zip lines (flying fox for Brits) and no mishaps nor injuries at any the diverse activities.

Restaurant is open also. Just small staff (in numbers, not in stature) on weekdays (closed on Mondays) and added staff personnel on weekends.

web page for opening day

post-10297-0-56334100-1297051668_thumb.j

Edited by brahmburgers