Road Legal Quad?

BangTaoBoy

Since I first came to Phuket about ten years ago, I've always thought the perfect run around would be a quad. A Yamaha Raptor 700 to be precise. However, I found out straight away that there would be no way of getting it plated and gave up on the idea (although it's never been far from my thoughts ever since)

Today as I was leaving Jungceylon, a quad was turning in. I didn't see who was riding it, but it looked suspiciously like a Farang. I did however clock my mirror and see that it had a white lisence plate on it.

Now we've all seen quads on the road quite near to where they operate off road, like down toward Nai Harn and up toward Pak Lok, but I have never seen one bombing around Patong.

Has anyone seen him or know him? Have the rules been slackened slightly and I haven't realised? Surely if he's riding around Patong on something that could never be legal he's asking for trouble

Before anybody says it. Yes I know if they became legal, every man and his dog would get one, and they would become a nightmare on the roads. I was more thinking the law should allow just me to ride one and nobody else. B)

I share the same dream with you, a Quad with a 350/400 ccm engine. I am aware they cannot legally been driven on larger roads or cities. Anyways I plan on just using it upcountry, so the legal issue is not a big one to me.

The license plate you have seen on the Farang's quad in Patong, might not mean anything. You can mount any plate into the rack , does not give you any legal rights, you just run a cool number or your birthday date ! I have seen quite a few big bikes that have no green book but are riden nevertheless, sporting a "useless" license plate just for decoration. This Quad you saw just had a nice decorative plate, that's what was to it.

As far as my knowledge goes - up to now - I think Quads ( ATV) are available but not legal.

I share the same dream with you, a Quad with a 350/400 ccm engine. I am aware they cannot legally been driven on larger roads or cities. Anyways I plan on just using it upcountry, so the legal issue is not a big one to me.

The license plate you have seen on the Farang's quad in Patong, might not mean anything. You can mount any plate into the rack , does not give you any legal rights, you just run a cool number or your birthday date ! I have seen quite a few big bikes that have no green book but are riden nevertheless, sporting a "useless" license plate just for decoration. This Quad you saw just had a nice decorative plate, that's what was to it.

As far as my knowledge goes - up to now - I think Quads ( ATV) are available but not legal.

I see what your saying about the plate meaning nothing, it's just that a bike with no green book is unidentifiable until it's pulled over, a quad however stands out like no bodies business. That's what was confusing me, how does he get (or expect to get) away with it for any length of time.

I see what your saying about the plate meaning nothing, it's just that a bike with no green book is unidentifiable until it's pulled over, a quad however stands out like no bodies business. That's what was confusing me, how does he get (or expect to get) away with it for any length of time.

ATV/Quads are not legal to use on public roads in Thailand, and can not have legal plate and book

ATV/Quads are not legal to use on public roads in Thailand, and can not have legal plate and book

I agree with you, that is what I have read too. Although I do see them driving around Rawai, usually from a trekking place. But there's never any police around here to stop them. Plus they seem to be very slow and clog up traffic and get in my way!

I am sure my bike is illegal too but police have never stopped me. I don't care anyway and if I have to pay a fine now and then so be it. It does now have mudguards on it.

S6302190.jpg

Nice 3 wheel conversion :) . If you still have rear brakes, it can be approved by inspection at DLT, and changes noted in reg books page 18. Legal :)

BangTaoBoy

Your quad may be faster, but you would take up just as much room as those 'three wheeled mayhem makers' that infest the left hand lane at peak hour. But then, if it's just you and noone else...

Love phuketrex's 3 wheeler, though.

MissChris

:D

Yamaha Raptors are good for 80 mph+ and would leave every car standing at the lights. No need to be in the left hand hand!

Seriously though. If it was legal to import them, then that would be OK. Only people who really, really wanted one would see the horrendous import duties as being worth it, so there would be very few around.

If they were available on the open market however, then Phuket would be swamped with them, and they would be an absolute nightmare. Can you imagine all the tourists that hire mopeds, even though they have never ridden a bike before, all riding very fast quad bikes instead :o

I will happily forgo the pleasure of riding one, to not see that happen.

Yamaha Raptors are good for 80 mph+ and would leave every car standing at the lights. No need to be in the left hand hand!

Except for the fact that if it got motorbike classification, we have to ride in the left lane by law.. No matter if its a 180bhp BMW superbike, law says it cant go on toll roads and should pass on the inside if possible..

Dumb law made for scooters but..

Maybe he is a tourist police volunteer.