Mak Khua

Totster

Mak Khua®..

Round green vegetable which I normally see in Penang or Gairng Wahn (?) about the size of a tomato and when cooked the same consistancy inside as a tomato.

My wife says in her book it's translated as a type of apple, but she says this confuses her and the book is wrong... :D

Am I right in thinking that it is called "Brinjal" in English, and the reason it may be translated as a type of apple is that it is really a fruit..? :o

totster :D

p.s - she did tell me what type of apple but I have forgotton... and also not sure whether I have the correct forum, so feel free to move to food if that's where it is more relevant.

Mak Khua®..

Round green vegetable which I normally see in Penang or Gairng Wahn (?) about the size of a tomato and when cooked the same consistancy inside as a tomato.

My wife says in her book it's translated as a type of apple, but she says this confuses her and the book is wrong...  :D

Am I right in thinking that it is called "Brinjal" in English, and the reason it may be translated as a type of apple is that it is really a fruit..?  :o

totster  :D

p.s - she did tell me what type of apple but I have forgotton... and also not sure whether I have the correct forum, so feel free to move to food if that's where it is more relevant.

This?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_eggplant

Mak Khua®..

My wife says in her book it's translated as a type of apple, but she says this confuses her and the book is wrong...  :D

Am I right in thinking that it is called "Brinjal" in English, and the reason it may be translated as a type of apple is that it is really a fruit..?  :D

totster  :D

This?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_eggplant

That's what she said it was.... Egg Apple... :o

totster :D

I am familiar with "Eggplant"... but I didn't realise there were so bloody many different ones.... I thought there was only the purple one.

Also.. after checking the link Meadish supplied it seems there is a " Green Apple Eggplant",

eggplant-greenapple.jpg

but this is not the same as the " Thai Eggplant "

thaieggplant.jpg

totster :o

Mak Khua®..

Am I right in thinking that it is called "Brinjal" in English, and the reason it may be translated as a type of apple is that it is really a fruit..?  :o

'Brinjal' sounds very Indian (Hindi, perhaps) to me, and it makes sense that this is a plant found in India as well - so I guess (without proof so far) that it entered the English vocab during colonization.

nasty veggies either way :o  :D

and they eat them raw :D

They eat them raw mostly with *Namprik* Chillie paste. But not eating raw just for fun. It has no taste. We have many kind of Makhuar. มะเขือเปาะ ....มะเขือยาว... ฯลฯ..? We have in green Makhuar Yao...or eggplant ( Aubegine ), or small like fruit. We also do have slang for Makhuar Pao มะเขือเผา...too....anybody knows please help, because I dont know the slang word in english for this word. :D:D