Marriage And Divorce In Thailand

praglen

I and my Thai GF are considering marriage here in Thailand. Which web sites or lawyer contacts are reliable and accurate re Thai rules, the cost of translating documents and performing the ceremony? Also, I need the rules re property distribution following the marriage and whether a divorce is easy to get by either or both parties?

You can't divorce your girlfriend, as you would first have to be married.

But the rules about getting divorced you can find here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/313877-thai-family-law/

There are several links to relevant articles, below the list you can also find the ctual law both in English and in Thai.

The most in portant is that if you are in agreement, you can just divorce at the amphur and be done with it in 5 minutes. At the same time you can enter any settle ment you have come to.

The law doesn't know any allemony. The law only requires you to split up the assets acquireed during the marriage. (So if you won the lottery before you got married the money is yours, if you won the lottery during the marriage you have to split it with your wife). You can agree to a different settlement.

if there are children, provisions can be made regarding the custody. Childen have the right to child support.

If you're legally married, then by law you are also responsible for each others debts, i.e., if your wife builds up a debt during the time you are married (even one that you don't know of), then you are jointly responsible for it

Quite different from e.g., Scandinavia where the signature is what matters, not marriage. This is most likely not a problem but something that you should know