Nokia 3720

Khonwan

Are you using this add-on --> http://store.ovi.com/content/5354

(Looks like it works on your phone, you can probably get it OTA (over the air) via the OVI link. I assume you do know you will incur data charges?)

Can you share any more detail re: your issue(s)?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/institutional/2009/03/000000_mobile.shtml

Edited by lomatopo

Thanks for replying.

Ovi website reports, "Sorry, this item is not available for the Nokia 3720 classic." Charges are not an issue: I already subscribe to AIS 100-hour Net Package. The BBC site above was also tried to no avail.

It seems that I need something using the RTSP protocall but I'm not clued up on this stuff. I've tried several RTSP addresses (if correct parlance) but to no avail.

I want to be able to listen to BBC World Service live radio when out and about, particularly when driving, without the need to be connected to my laptop.

EDIT: I'd be happy to change my phone but a new one would have to at least match the IP54 standard of the Nokia 3720 - I believe that this model is the only Nokia to meet this standard.

Edited by Khonwan

Oops, sorry about that. I just looked at the Nokia/OVI site, saw your phone, thought the check-box pick was for the SW! Now I see that is used to see if the SW works on the selected model! And it does not on yours.

Now that I think about this it is a fairly intensive task, which requires maybe a bit more processing power than typical low-end hand-sets possess. Not sure what to recommend; the BBC site seems to be fairly definitive and comprehensive so I'd start there with potential new models. The IP54 thing ('ruggedization') seems like a niche requirement with limited options so not sure if there is overlap?

How is the BBC performance on your PC using the 3270 as a GPRS modem? Clean, stutter-free, drop-outs?

Edited by lomatopo

I can receive some BBC World Service live via WNYC station via Virtual Radio but I get a java/lang/OutOfMemoryError message after a couple of minutes or so that breaks my connection with Virtual Radio. I only have a 1GB memory card though could easily uprate this (max. 8GB) if by doing so this particular problem would be resolved. I think, however, that I need more RAM hence another phone.

BBC performance on my PC using the 3720 as an EDGE modem is very good (listening right now); rarely drops out.

I’ve had phones ruined in heavy rain whilst on foot on my farm so switched to this P54-rated Nokia 3720 but perhaps I will switch again to another that can provide me with BBC World Service live radio and try to find a water-resistant case. I find plastic bags can cause condensation in the mobile (even the Nokia 3720).

• 1 month later...

There is an app @ OVI called Internet Radio. I don't know if it has the channel you are after or if app can be used in your phone. With my DTAC connection I could not listen to KCRW due to intermittent stop/start data.

Why dont you just download the podcast, that is the way I get the same program.