A Simple Man...

sillybilly

My old desktop pc has finally caved in and so now I`m left with a huge problem,

Not knowing much about them could someone please tell me in simple terms because I hope to be able to write it one and take it with me when I go shopping what I need.

The main thing I use my pc for is downloading movies and music, do some chatting, surfing the internet and watching the occasional movie or youtube online.

I don`t use it to play any of those fancy pc games.

I`m hoping to be able to use my existing hard drive as a 2nd drive cos it contains a lot of my music on it and was also going to use my old DVDRW as another dvd drive.

All this pc stuff gives me a headache and I have no idea what some of the terms used means...

Thanks in advance.

A desktop normally comes with a monitor so if you are keeping your old one just the basic box seems to be all you need and the cheapest available. I do believe 2 GB of memory to be much preferred so you do not have extended delays even when running only a few items. Most basic units are sold with only 1 GB but an extra GB should only cost a little over 1 thousand baht. If you want a legal operating system that will be about 4,000 baht for Windows 7 Home Premium.

You might want to consider a laptop or notebook as they would run much quieter if downloading at night and the price is now not much above desktops. Where and what is available will be somewhat determined on where you are located unless you are willing to mail order.

I would say go to Pantip plaza, just beside the double elevator the large corner shop, professional people who can build you a custom system for (without monitor) 6.000-8.000baht. Tell them what you need or don't and they make you a plan right away, with useful advise. The boyish girl with the loud voice is very good, speaks good english too and very helpful type. Good experiences there, fast service.

I paid 1600 for Windows 7 Starter, no need anything else.

Bangkokcitylimits;

Which floor on Pantip Plaza? I usually take the escalater so not sure where the big double elevator is? I need a second machine and they sound like they could help. Thanks in advance.

B

Not floor just downstairs, right side of the double elevator a large shop on the corner.

Try find the big mouthed but very friendly girl, she's the clever type and speaks english.