Moving To Chiang Mai As A Newbie

safelee

Hi Guys, I am moving to Chiang Mai mid January, I work a shift rotation of 6 weeks at work internationally. then on 3 weeks off on R and R.

I am looking for a furnished apartment, I want to rent for appoximately 2 to 3 years.

I also need to find someone to keep it clean and tidy and secure when I am not there, do the washing ironing, cleaning, cooking, shopping, etc when I am there.

I have been told to offer up to 30,000 Bht for a good honest hard working house keeper, maybe paying over the top, especially if I want someone reliable. I have also been informed that I should look at a live in housekeeper, but I am worried about the place being used inapropriately when I am not there. So, a couple of questions please.

Is this possible?

Am I paying the right money?

How hard is this to set up?

Are there others in town doing this already?

I have many friends living in Pattaya, all are married, all have housekeepers but all have someone at home to support the housekeeper, Pattaya is just to hot and to many tourists. I guess I'm a little different as I like peace and quiet and I will be leaving the house empty for 6 weeks every 3 weeks or so.

I was hoping to set something up before I arrive, and maybe have a few apartments to look at so I can settle in quickly before returning to work.

I am a single Australian male 57 oil and gas worker who is not looking to join the bar scene, and I do not need a girlfriend just yet. That will come later.

I just need a place to live off shore so as to reduce the tax amount I have to pay and to save a few bucks after a recent divorce. I hope this does not sound to cold. Anyway my very best regards. I need a permanant address off shore is another reason to take this path and rent an apartment and I have to be out of OZ for more than half a year to qualify for tax benefits

Lee

You can get a very nice 2 bedroom apartment for about 12,000bht a month. I know a new place, you would most likely be the first or second person in the apartment.

The management would arrange for all your extra needs and take care of the place 24/7 ........ approx another 10,000bht on the rent would make them very satisfied.

30,000 baht is way out of line even if you were there full time.<br><br>My advice is collect what advice you can here and when you come just grab a place for the interim and go check out first hand the advice others give you.<br><br>While they may be giving you good advice it might not apply to your life style. For instance I can tell by your post that you are not a cheap charlie. You are a regular guy looking to recover from a divorce and are willing to take the time.

You will find many places to fit the bill for you here it is just a matter of you looking at them.

Good Luck and welcome to Chiang Mai

Edited by jayjay0

Hi Lee, Small world, I work Gas & Oil and spend a lot of time now in Libya, or in my 3 week leave brakes travelling Thailand.

I may be able to offer help. I have a house I'm looking to rent out or sell, and can sort out all your other requirements.

If you want to know more, drop me an email

If not, good luck and welcome to Chiangmai

You can set up a physical address here with a post office box or a property/business/personal property with a mailing address. You can arrange this in your first 3 week visit. Stay in hotel/guest house and look around at your leisure for a permanent rental. There are serviced apartment for rent which would be serviced while you are working. I once lived 3 years with out renting full time and the hotel/guest houses stored my belongings when I traveled and I paid for the time I was physically on site.

When you arrive in CM drop around the Mad dog and you will get some good pointers from some decent folk, if you can fit in with the latter type folks. Hell, if you can put up with most of us we will have you promoted from worm to tool pusher in a short time. There after, the sky is the limit.

you best IMO look for a Condo like the Riverside Condominium it is not far from the center but not too much it has security and house kipping for a reasonable price .

You can rent a decent 46sqm studio in Riverside for B9000-10000 per month and a 2 bedroom 79sqm unit will cost about B15000 long term. Its well located and just a couple of minutes walk from the Nong Hoi market. There is a laundry that also offers a housekeeping/cleaning service in the building, so you can leave it to them while you are away, and won't need a live in housekeeper. The building has a pool, free wi-fi in the reception and poolside ares, and paid wi-fi (1 month costs B350, other periods available) throughout. The building is secure, and forced entry into condo's in buildings with good security is practically unkown.

Don't let anyone talk you into renting a house. It's the last thing you need. There's a lot of yak-yak here, and word that you are out of town for 6 weeks at a time will soon get into the wrong ears.

Get yourself a hotel for a few days and look around. There's plenty of choice throughout the city. Good luck.

Guys and Gals,

I must apologize. I re checked with a friend and it should have read 30,000 for both apartment and maid in my original post. I guess silly mistakes like that are why newbies were invented.

But from the replies that I recieved, then i guess that these new numbers make sense. Though maybe still just a little high?

I really need a permanent place of residence in Thailand to satisfy the tax department in OZ that I do not live there anymore. I need to show regular corresponce overseas pay some bills like power, water, register a vehicle, and stuff like that. A serviced apartment idea has legs, A hotel address wont cut it, and I will check this out, thank you for suggesting that.

Hey if I can get an apartment for 15 to 20,000 well hey I slop that amount every Friday night at the bar here, then I will be real happy.

best regards

Lee

I think that your initial estimate is double that which will meet your needs - even figuring generously.

And with 15,000 in play, you can easily find a nice serviced apartment (not just a studio), all in. In fact, if you were determined upon a house inside a walled and carefully guarded community, you could obtain it with weekly cleaning and gardening at that price. The housing market here is depressed, so leasing is easily found - though initial offerings appear higher. Everyone is ready to bargain.

I closed up a house for three months last year. It is inside a walled community (video, multiple guards) which has inside of it a guarded sub-division. They say that there's never been a theft. Anyway, I never gave it a thought. I have weekly cleaning and gardening. Happily (from your point of view), I get a monthly water and electric bill, but in Thai. A serviced apartment building would put monthly billings in your name. Either way, you would have a year's lease contract to show.

Best thing to do as suggested above is to come here with some time in hand and test/observe/price these options. You are fortunately situated.

It is critical for me to show an auditable trail of living expenses for two years or so in Thailand, and I really appreciate the advice.

If I do not do this then I may have to pay double tax.

I currently work in PNG, FIFO, but still reside in Australia, If I still reside in Australia then I must also pay tax in Australia.

It is stupid that I pay tax in PNG and will still be required to pay tax on my total income in Australia as well. They said, the ATO, That I must pay this extra if they can prove that I still live in Australia. I hope this makes sense.

They can do this via checking bank accounts in OZ , mail recieved in OZ, phone accounts in OZ etc.

They tried this with Paul Hogan just a few months ago you may remember.

Anyway Chiang Mai has been chosen as the place to be for a few years as a permanant address, so hence all the questions and confusion re this subject. I really appreciate the replies.

I am sure that a lot more people are in the same boat as me with these new tax laws. I am sure that some, probably many are also unaware of this trap. I only found out by a work buddy getting caught.

Lee

1) Internet utility bill in your name, easy get CAT CDMA (dongle or hotspot) 800bht a month for a 2meg wireless.

2) Thai driving licence (you need to bring Australian driving licence to show them)

3) Thai bank account with debit card

4) Thai mobile phone SIM card

5) Buy a small m/c scooter style, register in your name, get green registration book

Useful for proof of address with banks

You don't need to live in town, if you don't want to. Many 3/4 bedroom houses around within 20km of CM and can be rented for about 10,000bht a month, fully furnished. For example taxi fare from the airport to my house in Doi Saket (20km out) is just over 300bt, about 10 AU$

Edited by sarahsbloke

I am Australian and have retired in CM some years ago.

A couple things.

Firstly the ATO thieves will require that you notify them that you are/will be a Non Resident of Aus, probably a letter from your accountant is required.

Secondly to be elligible to be the above you must not own any property in Aus otherwise you are required to lodge an annual tax form.

I have never needed any documented evidence to prove that I dont reside in Aus,I guess their computers can access immigration information to prove this.

I still maintain funds in Aus banks but any interest/income has 10% withholding tax withheld and this is way better than the alternative of lodging annual returns.

Cheers

Rich