Inherited Large Stamp Collection

zaphodbeeblebrox

My father passed away last year. He had several hobbies that involved significant capital expenditures: wooden model ship building, decorative egg collecting and stamp collecting. Many years ago, he asked my siblings and I what we would like to have after his passing, and I chose the stamp collection. It has a lot of sentimental value, as it reminds me of times we spent in his library going over the collection, which focused on former British colonies.

The stamp collection is contained in about 30 large Scott's catalog books and the stamps are well preserved. The stamps are not merely pasted into the books, but each stamp is contained in a protective plastic pocket and mounted into the book. The stamps are all cataloged and there is a spread sheet which inventories the collection and the value of each stamp, although this needs updating. When I last checked the collection had a value of about US$50,000.

I plan on living the rest of my life in Thailand. I have a great job and no interest in returning to the US. The stamp collection has great sentimental value and I would enjoy building on the collection while living here (even though there are only 1 or 2 stamp shops in Thailand, anything I want to buy can be ordered off the net).

So, is there a way of getting this large collection shipped to Thailand? What about packaging and insurance? I can leave the collection with my mom, but that would just delay the inevitable. Also, I don't want to sell the collection, because the sentimental value exceeds the monetary value. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Have you considered how many members of TV have had this problem/thus experience that you are asking for advice on? I hope you will come up with a solution to your quandary. Think real hard and its possible you shall be enlightened.

All things considered, I think it is worth a trip to USA and bringing them back with you on the flight... You can even say hello to your Mom.

Are you suggesting I charter a plane? 30 filled stamp catalog books takes up about two bookcases!:blink:

I'll see my mom in February as she's taking a cruise to New Zealand and I'll meet her there. And, no, I don't think the cruise will let her take the stamp catalogs along.

:ermm:

Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox

Given that the collection has both monetary and senimental value I would definitely suggest either carrying it yourself or using a trusted friend. This will reduce chance of loss and/or Thai customs getting hold of it and valuing it at $500,000. Humidity will be an issue unless you want to maintain an airconed or dehumidified room 24/7, then you could use a safe with mini dehumidifier. Just search in ebay on "dehumidifier" and you will find plenty of options

My immediate reaction is that your collection will lose value by the mere changing of location. The value of stamps is determined by the market which is determined by the value prospective buyers (other collectors) place on them. I will hazard the guess there is very little market for former British colony stamps over here.

Add that thought to the other comments about the dangers of the climate and I would not bring them (disregarding the logistics nightmare of trying to do so).

Bugs are also a concern; some of them like the glue.

I don't know whether anyone has opened boxes that've sat deep in a closet for 15 years or so, but it's not a pretty sight, notwithstanding attempts to keep the temperature and humidity within reason.

I appreciate that they have a sentimental value to you, so think about what's going to happen to them when YOU die.

Would you just want them tossed in the rubbish bin? or do you have someone here that will lovingly care for them? Or will it then be the responsibility of a sibling to try to ship them out again back to US?

I'd suggest you leave the bulk of them where they are and maybe just get your Mum to bring a couple of albums that are most important you.

This is not something that you want to initiate without the advice of a good customs broker. I would check on the tariff issue before I worried about the shipping issue. It may well dictate how you ship them or even if you want to ship them at all.

Ocean freight usually has a 2 cubic meter minimum charge and it is fairly quick. A local freight company in your mom's home town can handle it for you on her end.

Or, I would guess that you can mail them with insurance one or two at a time. For the most valuable books, you can have your mother hand carry them to you in New Zealand.

You need to have a proper storage area for the collection prior to arrival. It doesn't take long for significant damage to occur. Even though they are mounted in protected sleeves the high humidity can ruin the gum on mint specimens which can lower their value.

Unless you will have the time to truly enjoy the collection I would recommend selling it through a reputable dealer or auction house. Then use the money to pursue another hobby more suitable to Thailand's weather. I gave up stamp collecting for coins which are easier to store and protect in Hawaii's high humidity. Good luck in whatever decision you make.