Protecting Car From Sun

Not having a garage does a car need some form of protection from the sun?

A friend has a metallic construction in front of his door which gives shadow and the gf wants to build a garage in front of our door, we have some 10m before the street. Seems stupid and ugly to build something between the house and the street, we got authorisation from landlord though...

Not sure a fully closed garage is a good idea.

gf bought a big silver condom for the car and a neighbour offered a covered place to park the car at night. It's a pain to cover/uncover the condom though.

And I agree the carport is an eyesore.

The gf still worried thieves will run off with the car at night :o

gf bought a big silver condom for the car and a neighbour offered a covered place to park the car at night. It's  a pain to cover/uncover the condom though.

And I agree the carport is an eyesore.

The gf still worried thieves will run off with the car  at night :o

A couple of chaps near us have the silver condoms, complete with 'ears' for the door mirrors. One (which caught my son's eye) has a 3 foot cover over the radio antenna, looks like the car has just exited soi cowboy :D:D

Cloth car covers are for infrequent and long-term storage only! If the car is not perfectly clean, the cover drags whatever dust was on the paint around, like a giant sheet of sandpaper. You will quickly have a dull and scuffed paint job. Using one daily will ruin the paint much sooner than the sun ever would.

I think you are better off with a good synthetic wax and spot-washing to remove bugs, tree sap, or bird droppings before it can eat through the wax.

Well if i am totally honest.

The house is beautiful, but the carport is an eyesore. Something done in the style of the house would look so much better. If you rent the house than it is understandable.

Yep your correct ,its a renter, the carport is to eventually go to the village, already had pm,s re house so to save anybody else the trouble we pay 5000 bt per month for 3 bedder with nice garden which isnt in pic. Happy now Khun Jean :o

Thanks for your comments guys.

In princicple I agree the silver condom is not that a good idea. It protects from chin chok? shit in that covered area though. The portable car port seems to be a better solution. It does not solve the gf worries from thieves though. She would opt for a closed garage, but this is not practicable sins we rent the house and there is not enough space to build one (I think it could be done for 20k baht)

Seems many thais are afraid from thieves. Is this a real problem? We live on a small beach 500km from Bangkok almost 4 years and there is no history of thieves around the place. The car we bought is a Toyota Vigo 4x4 which has some anti-theft features and a thai manual I can not read....I know about the transponder and microchip key but what other anti-theft security is build-in?

Edited by jef

Seems many thais are afraid from thieves. Is this a real problem? We live on a small beach 500km from Bangkok almost 4 years and there  is no history of thieves around the place. The car we bought is a Toyota Vigo 4x4 which has some anti-theft features and a thai manual I can not read....I know about the transponder and microchip key but what other anti-theft security is build-in?

A lot of Thais add either/or a steering wheel lock and gear shift lock. These are heavy duty and would take a lot of time and effort to break into. I believe they cost around 2K. First thing my wife bought after getting her car was a steering wheel lock.

Seems many thais are afraid from thieves. Is this a real problem? We live on a small beach 500km from Bangkok almost 4 years and there  is no history of thieves around the place. The car we bought is a Toyota Vigo 4x4 which has some anti-theft features and a thai manual I can not read....I know about the transponder and microchip key but what other anti-theft security is build-in?

i would give some attention to the SPARE TIRE, as was my bad experience (had to buy a used tire/wheel for 1.5K).

1) try to replace 1 tire and use the spare for a few or a hundred kms. to give it a "used" look - lessens interest

2) buy a metal chain and lock it well - don't buy the spare tire lock accessory from Toyota as that is useless (as proven in my case)

for your ENGLISH manual, try to request from the dealer and/or call/contact via email Toyota Motors Thailand directly and request. they'll mail you one for free.

Thanks for your comments guys.

In princicple I agree the silver condom is not that a good idea. It protects from chin chok? shit in that covered area though. The portable car port seems to be a better solution. It does not solve the gf worries from thieves though. She would opt for a closed garage, but this is not practicable sins we rent the house and there is not enough space to build one (I think it could be done for 20k baht)

Sometimes I would like my car to be stolen, have had it for many years, might get some money from insurance, put a bit more money buy a new one then.