Termites

We have 2 homestay cabins now about 4 yrs old, on concrete piers with 'sherla' walls. The only wooden parts are the floors. But of course white ants being endemic in Thailand, have finally started to get there in the one nearest to some trees. Does anyone know of something that is preferably not too toxic to everything else except white ants, that will work. The cabins are accessible underneath so it would be possible to treat the soil as well. All ideas much appreciated.

Tim, I just wrote a long reply, and then accidentally closed and lost it; wish TV had automatic save like gmail. Anyway, my best recommendation is Fipronil, as least toxic, most effective and long lasting. Soil drench and sub-surface soil inject around the foundation, spray the baseboards and perimeter. It's a pyrethroid, least toxic to mammals, but toxic to bees and fish and birds, so best not to broadcast spray. Binds to the soil and does not readily leach into ground water. Widely available in Thailand at ag chemical supply stores. Best with high pressure spray equipment and a soil injection needle and/or with a pre-construction installed underground emitter system, but hand held sprayers could do a limited job.

There are other products and baiting systems possible, and many claims and marketing sharks in this big business of structural pest control. But this is one way, easy to use and very effective with long residual from what I have learned.

Tim, I just wrote a long reply, and then accidentally closed and lost it; wish TV had automatic save like gmail. Anyway, my best recommendation is Fipronil, as least toxic, most effective and long lasting. Soil drench and sub-surface soil inject around the foundation, spray the baseboards and perimeter. It's a pyrethroid, least toxic to mammals, but toxic to bees and fish and birds, so best not to broadcast spray. Binds to the soil and does not readily leach into ground water. Widely available in Thailand at ag chemical supply stores. Best with high pressure spray equipment and a soil injection needle and/or with a pre-construction installed underground emitter system, but hand held sprayers could do a limited job.

There are other products and baiting systems possible, and many claims and marketing sharks in this big business of structural pest control. But this is one way, easy to use and very effective with long residual from what I have learned.

Thanks very much Dr.T sounds like the way to go. We do have a HP sprayer. Yes I'm aware of the sharks.