Pronunciation

withnail

I'm looking for a technical guide to Thai pronunciation preferably with some sort of visual aid as to how to make certain sounds i.e. with diagrams of the position of the mouth/tongue etc.

I hope somebody understands what I mean I'm not interested in a discussion about whether ป sounds like a b or a p and I find it equally useless when a Thai person says no don't say xxx say xxx as it doesn't really help.

Through teaching English I found an excellent pair of books named Tree or Three? and Ship or Sheep? Which through diagrams and explanations show students (and teachers) the differences between HOW different sounds are made rather than using the method favoured by a lot of teachers which is if the student says a word wrong just say it to them louder.

Cheers

I'm looking for a technical guide to Thai pronunciation preferably with some sort of visual aid as to how to make certain sounds i.e. with diagrams of the position of the mouth/tongue etc.

I hope somebody understands what I mean I'm not interested in a discussion about whether ป sounds like a b or a p and I find it equally useless when a Thai person says no don't say xxx say xxx as it doesn't really help.

Through teaching English I found an excellent pair of books named Tree or Three? and Ship or Sheep? Which through diagrams and explanations show students (and teachers) the differences between HOW different sounds are made rather than using the method favoured by a lot of teachers which is if the student says a word wrong just say it to them louder. 

Cheers

Thats what I struggle with the most, if you find a book tell me about it :o . I've been told my thai accent isn't clear. Sometimes when I try my hardest to say something some thais say they don't understand but they don't try to understand me. I try to understand the thais speaking English and their English is rarely crystal.

It all comes down to lazyness I guess....

Edited by Ice Maiden

I already have Benjawan Poomsan Beckers's book and CD 'Improving your Thai pronunciation' which is a very good start and helps a lot with the tones however it doesn't go into the depth I am interested in.

Edit.. Jack Jones I actually typed the above before I saw that.

Edited by withnail

Cheers

Unless you can find exactly what you are looking for elsewhere, your best bet is probably a phonetical description of Thai sounds. This approach means you have to acquire the relevant phonological terms first (dental, bilabial, fricative, glottal etc. etc.) unless you have already done so while teaching English. Either way, it should not pose much of a problem, as it is just a matter of cramming - and this knowledge can be helpful when you learn another language later on.

In the first chapter of Richard B. Noss' Thai Reference Grammar ENGLISH LANGUAGE CENTER OF THE UNIVERSITY DEVELOPMENT COMMISSION, BANGKOK, THAILAND (firmly within the section 'oldies but goodies' - it was published in 1964 - right around the time when Sabaijai started his Thai studies, perhaps? :o), you will find a phonological description of Thai that should be helpful. PM me for details.