Easiest Way To Stay For Up To 1 Year?

Hi all!

Please excuse me, newbie here so my enquiry has probably been re-hashed a million times over!

I am UK passport holder under 50yrs old. I want to stay in Thailand as a tourist for up to a year with a 1-2 month break in between. As far as I can tell, the easiest way is:

Get 6 month tourist visa and every month after the 30 day limit is up to quickly pop over to Malaysia or Cambodia for a day or two. Then after the initial 6 months is up, go back home for 1-2 months get a new 6 month visa and repeat the whole process.

Is this really the easiest way? I am quite happy once a month taking a quick trip into Malaysia/Cambodia, but not sure if the Thai immigration authorities at the Malaysian/Cambodian border will raise any hassles or if there are any other considerations to be thought of, or easier ways of doing it...

Cheers!

PS I am aware of the stipulation that you need a fully paid onward ticket when applying for the visa.

If you planning on applying in UK you can get a Multi Entry Non Imm O Visa. This would give you up to 15 months.

If not , Tourist Visas are the option.

Only other way would be to enrol in a Thai Language school and get a Visa for study.

Thanks Lite, but as I said I am UNDER 50yrs old, which excludes me from the O visa I believe...

My real worry is whether the Thai immigration people will start getting suspicious/pissed off with me every month popping across the border clearly for the sole purpose of renewing my 30 day limit...

If you planning on applying in UK you can get a Multi Entry Non Imm O Visa. This would give you up to 15 months.

If not , Tourist Visas are the option.

Only other way would be to enrol in a Thai Language school and get a Visa for study.

Thanks Lite, but as I said I am UNDER 50yrs old, which excludes me from the O visa I believe...

My real worry is whether the Thai immigration people will start getting suspicious/pissed off with me every month popping across the border clearly for the sole purpose of renewing my 30 day limit...

Being under 50 does not exclude you from getting a Non Immigrant O visa.....you only need to be over 50 for a Non O-A retirement visa, or an extension of stay based on retirement.

Hull in UK will issue a Non Imm O Visa Multi Entry for visiting friends.

Assuming you will be applying in UK.

Thanks for the correction guys! Got a bit muddled there with O and O-A!!

But can anybody apply for an O visa, or is it mainly only for farangs married to Thais? (Not my case) If they ask me why I want an O visa, what should I tell them?

I'll actually be applying in Tokyo and let the forum know my outpcome (unless somebody else has tried from here, in which case, I would love to know what their experiences were!)

There is no way you will get a non immigrant O visa in Tokyo and even a tourist visa may be a problem.

You do not obtain 30 days on a border crossing - you must arrive by air to obtain 30 day visa exempt entry.

A two entry tourist visa could serve you for up to six months stay as 60 days - extend 30 days - exit/return for 60 days - extend 30 days. Extensions of stay are done at an immigration office inside Thailand so only one trip out of country required.

There is no way you will get a non immigrant O visa in Tokyo and even a tourist visa may be a problem.

You do not obtain 30 days on a border crossing - you must arrive by air to obtain 30 day visa exempt entry.

A two entry tourist visa could serve you for up to six months stay as 60 days - extend 30 days - exit/return for 60 days - extend 30 days. Extensions of stay are done at an immigration office inside Thailand so only one trip out of country required.

Thanks guys!!