Phuket, Phang Nga And Krabi Goes Tax Free Zone

george

Duty-free proposal for 3 tsunami-hit provinces approved

BANGKOK: -- The Cabinet on Tuesday approved a proposal to allow both local and foreign tourists to buy duty-free goods in three tsunami-hit provinces.

Deputy Government Spokesman Chalermchai Mahakijsiri said the measure proposed by the Finance Ministry was aimed to revive the dying tourism industry in the provinces of Phuket, Phang Nga and Krabi.

The spokesman said both Thai and foreign tourists would be allowed to buy goods from duty-shop in the three provinces and all crystal and perfume goods in the three provinces would be exempted from excise.

He said alcoholic drinks and cigarettes sold to tourists would also be exempted form duty and excise.

The duty-free period for tourists would last from September 1 to December 31, the spokesman said.

Thais, who could buy duty-free goods in the three provinces, would have to be non-residents of the provinces and could not be hired there.

They would have to travel there by plane and check in to a registered hotel for at least one night.

A tourist could be duty-free goods no more than Bt20,000 worth of goods per night of stay but no more than Bt50,000 if he or she stays several nights.

--The Nation 2005-08-16

Oh lord! Nothing healthy or good for a tourist just legal drugs and other trash!

Thats really going to help make the world a better place!

The most creative thing I have heard sense the Prime Minister spoke last!

Give me a break!

Wake up Thailand before its too late!

Oh lord! Nothing healthy or good for a tourist just legal drugs and other trash!

The most  creative thing I have heard sense the Prime Minister spoke last!

Give me a break!

Thanks for your input :o

Nice to know it. Thank you.

Does somebody knows if i can have Duty Free allowance for my Household effects when i will come beginning of september as a new expat with a One year Long stay OA retirement visa ??

I read a lot of contrarian writing on this and the custom webpage on it is confusing also.

Thanks in advance

Philippe

Now they are allowing people yachts in tax free but they should also allow people to bring some of there cars in also. Many people have some nice toys they would like to enjoy over here but the Customs department has prevent people from enjoying there beautiful cars here let this be a real tax free place allow the cars in also.

Does somebody knows if i can have Duty Free allowance for my Household effects when i will come beginning of september as a new expat with a One year Long stay OA retirement visa ??

I read a lot of contrarian writing on this and the custom webpage on it is confusing also.

Thanks in advance

Philippe

The reason for the confusion is that the change was made just a few months ago and with no real announcement - it was just changed on the Customs website. That's why a] most people haven't heard about it and b] a lot of "guide" websites etc still contain out of date advice.

Here's the link for the relevant page of the Customs website:

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/House...nuNme=HouseHold

I agree that the English wording isn't perfect - but, unfortunately, the meaning is very clear (see the "Note" in red in the middle of the page)........ the O-A retirement visa does NOT now qualify you to bring in your household effects duty free.

Now they are allowing people yachts in tax free but they should also allow people to bring some of there cars in also. Many people have some nice toys they would like to enjoy over here but the Customs department has prevent people from enjoying there beautiful cars here let this be a real tax free place allow the cars in also.

I doubt that's ever gonna happen... Otherwise everyone would be bringing in cars from abroad, and what would happen to those "poor" thais that only have like 6 Mercedes AMG SL55s standing in his driveway, for which he paid 20m Baht each... He would lose his money as his car would lose value...

Plus the limit is 20 thousand baht a day? So I guess that's also their most expensive object for sale... otherwise how would you pay for a 40.000 Baht watch?

Cheers

SD

this is going to attract tourists?  most who arrive in phuket will have already have passed through a duty free zone with another promised on departure before even setting foot on thai soil  :o

...and, has anybody ever found duty-free goods purchased in Thailand to be much of a deal?

Thanks in advance

Philippe

The reason for the confusion is that the change was made just a few months ago and with no real announcement - it was just changed on the Customs website. That's why a] most people haven't heard about it and b] a lot of "guide" websites etc still contain out of date advice.

I agree that the English wording isn't perfect - but, unfortunately, the meaning is very clear (see the "Note" in red in the middle of the page)........ the O-A retirement visa does NOT now qualify you to bring in your household effects duty free.

Thank you Steve,

Unfortunately i have red the same and in the same meaning.

I am hoping i will find a solution anyway

Thanks

Philippe

ROFL

Fags and booze are cheap anyway - at least all the tourist can afford them.

How about clamping down on phuket taxi mafia? Or a decent bus service - taxis are are total rip off in phuket. The drivers are rude and wont budge on price - approx 4X the bangkok price only in phuket they have tuk tuks. I suspect there is a lot of other prioce fixing in phuket - not sure if this is illegal in thailand.

Prices in Phuket dont seem to have dropped a great deal since tsunami.

Thanks in advance

Philippe

Thank you Steve,

Unfortunately i have red the same and in the same meaning.

I am hoping i will find a solution anyway

Thanks

Philippe

If you do find a solution (or if anyone else can suggest a solution :o ), please let me know - maybe by PM (private message).

this is going to attract tourists?  most who arrive in phuket will have already have passed through a duty free zone with another promised on departure before even setting foot on thai soil   :o

...and, has anybody ever found duty-free goods purchased in Thailand to be much of a deal?

Duty Free in Thailand is not any sort of a deal. Probably buy the stuff downtown anywhere in most countries cheaper than "duty free" in the realm.

Give me a break!

It was too late before we ever came here...let sleeping Thailand lie...

Give me a break!

It was too late before we ever came here...let sleeping Thailand lie...

"Give them a break! man...." :o

Bangkok already has a King Power Duty Free outlet (most items more expensive than in Tesco Lotus or Carrefour). Does this mean that that the capital is also a duty free zone because the way this article is worded I can't see much difference.

Langkawi in Malaysia is what I would call a proper duty free zone; drinks and cigarettes in all bars and shops are much cheaper than elsewhere in Malaysia. If a similar situation were to exist in these provinces than great; it would (hopefully) bring the prices down here in Phuket but I think that would be a step too far for Toxin and Co.

I fully agree that it is the transport situation that needs to be sorted as the number one priority and the meter taxis are just starting to become a viable option at the airport. At about 400 baht to Patong, 450 to Karon including the 100 baht airport surcharge and no stops at dodgy tour offices en route, they are recommended. Sadly the tuk-tuks control everywhere else.

Ayakiawe: you hit the nail right on the head. I especially like your final sentence "Wake up Thailand before its too late!" It totally amazes me how "our Fuhrer" gets away with the infatile & "oh so obvious" tricks he plays on the, apparently unsuspecting "Thai' populace-at-large" . . . . . :o

By the way; I was under the impression, that Bees made honey; not trees ? ? ? Can you elaborate on that one please ? :D

Cheers-a-lot,

Jaap Fries

Give me a break!