Costs Mae Baan/ Maid 1 Day A Week?

Soulwy

Salary per day will depend on if you hire them full-time or for one day per week etc. Also, usually a person hiring a maid for one day per week will pile up things and require a *lot* of things to be done during the 8h's (requiring good planning skills of the staff), as compared to a full-time employee that might have some downtime etc...

Salary per day will depend on if you hire them full-time or for one day per week etc. Also, usually a person hiring a maid for one day per week will pile up things and require a *lot* of things to be done during the 8h's (requiring good planning skills of the staff), as compared to a full-time employee that might have some downtime etc...

Depends upon your location. Assuming it is in Bangkok, 300/day is quite reasonable pay for a 8hrs day provided the employment is continuous (9000Baht/month). Good professional maids may even charge 12 to 15000 per month for a 6 day week. In the central Bangkok condominium where i live, maids charge 500Baht to come in once a week, basis 4hrs work (no ironing). There are also burmese maids (without papers) easily available for about 6000Baht/month. Inexperienced but hardworking, need to provide accomodation and food as they are migrants without family & housing.

You know that the terms "Mae Baan" and "Maid" are different of course?

Patrick

Come on then Patrick, I know your gagging to enlighten us.

Seeing as P hasnt answered I will.

A mae baan (แม่บ้าน Thai spelling) is usually used to refer to a housewife.

A maid is usually refered to as a kon chai (คนใช้ Thai spelling).

I had the same housekeeper for nearly 4 years. She came once a week and I paid her 200baht each time. I have a two bedroom, two bathroom, living room, and western kitchen sized apartment. On average she spent about 5 hours each time; dusting, sweeping, mopping the floors, cleaning the bathrooms, and straightening up the house. She didn't cook, do laundry or iron.

FWIW: she seemed more than happy with the arrangement (or I’m sure she’da just stopped showing up for work). She’d probably still work for me if her father hadn't died forcing her to go back home and care for her nearly blind mother with cataracts. I do indeed miss her!

Good, stand up thai person, honest as the day is long. Once I misplaced (as in stupidly lost) 5000 baht. After tearing the house apart a couple times looking for it, I wrote it off, but mentioned it to the house keeper when she showed up. Low & behold when I returned home later that afternoon, there was the 5000 baht sitting on the coffee table! She’d found it for me in about 5 minutes. I tried to give her a 1000 baht as a reward but she wouldn't take it. I finally ended up secretly putting it in her pocketbook when she was busy cleaning.

While it's technically against the law to hire burmese workers, several foreign friends of mine kinda share the same burmese housekeeper. They said she's about 300baht a week and comes twice a week; doing their laundry, washing dirty dishes, cleaning etc.

Many times you can go to a foreign frequented hotel and ask the housekeeping staff if anyone 'moon-lights' as a house cleaner, many of them do.

I personally wouldn't pay anyone; thai, laotian, burmese, cambodian, (or insert your S/E asian nationality here) over 500 baht a week. I wouldn’t pay that kinda money even IF they came twice a week, did my laundry, cooked, cleaned, and everything. The cost of good labor here is dirt cheap, especially as the 'official' minimum wage in Bangkok (which BTW is the highest in the entire country) is only 206 baht a DAY for 10+ hours!

It makes very little sense to pay more than the 'going rate' a thai in the same socio-economic niche would pay for a similar service. You're highly unlikely to get any better quality of work by paying more money.

I know the foreigners who pay their maids crazy money will vehemently disagree, but that’s my experience in visiting people who have high priced maids; seeing the condition of their place versus the condition of mine.

Your mileage can and in all likelihood will vary. .. ;)

Edited by tod-daniels

im Glad you are proud in taking advantage of hardworking women without any incentives.

It's not about the a corrupt government values the time of their citizen, its about two human beings making a deal.

The only thing we cant buy in our lives is TIME, these people are underpaid and have no time for themselves. giving them 10$ extra wont change anything in your life, it will change a LOT in theirs over just 1 day... imagine over a full year or more.

Drives me crazy how people on this forum overpay 3000-4000 baht for 2 hours of sexual therapy worth 1000 yet they wont pay their maids/massage therapist an extra 100-300bah

Drives me crazy how people on this forum overpay 3000-4000 baht for 2 hours of sexual therapy worth 1000 yet they wont pay their maids/massage therapist an extra 100-300bah

Pretty obvious you have researched this subject very well, I am impressed you have had the b*lls to actually admit to P4P on a public forum... :whistling:.......:lol:

Patrick

Ma Baan means house mother, not house wife. My janitorial service company employs many maids, or janitors, and they are all called ma baan, whether they work in a factory or a house.

I had the same housekeeper for nearly 4 years. She came once a week and I paid her 200baht each time. I have a two bedroom, two bathroom, living room, and western kitchen sized apartment. On average she spent about 5 hours each time; dusting, sweeping, mopping the floors, cleaning the bathrooms, and straightening up the house. She didn't cook, do laundry or iron.

FWIW: she seemed more than happy with the arrangement (or I’m sure she’da just stopped showing up for work). She’d probably still work for me if her father hadn't died forcing her to go back home and care for her nearly blind mother with cataracts. I do indeed miss her!

Good, stand up thai person, honest as the day is long. Once I misplaced (as in stupidly lost) 5000 baht. After tearing the house apart a couple times looking for it, I wrote it off, but mentioned it to the house keeper when she showed up. Low & behold when I returned home later that afternoon, there was the 5000 baht sitting on the coffee table! She’d found it for me in about 5 minutes. I tried to give her a 1000 baht as a reward but she wouldn't take it. I finally ended up secretly putting it in her pocketbook when she was busy cleaning.

While it's technically against the law to hire burmese workers, several foreign friends of mine kinda share the same burmese housekeeper. They said she's about 300baht a week and comes twice a week; doing their laundry, washing dirty dishes, cleaning etc.

Many times you can go to a foreign frequented hotel and ask the housekeeping staff if anyone 'moon-lights' as a house cleaner, many of them do.

I personally wouldn't pay anyone; thai, laotian, burmese, cambodian, (or insert your S/E asian nationality here) over 500 baht a week. I wouldn’t pay that kinda money even IF they came twice a week, did my laundry, cooked, cleaned, and everything. The cost of good labor here is dirt cheap, especially as the 'official' minimum wage in Bangkok (which BTW is the highest in the entire country) is only 206 baht a DAY for 10+ hours!

It makes very little sense to pay more than the 'going rate' a thai in the same socio-economic niche would pay for a similar service. You're highly unlikely to get any better quality of work by paying more money.

I know the foreigners who pay their maids crazy money will vehemently disagree, but that’s my experience in visiting people who have high priced maids; seeing the condition of their place versus the condition of mine.

Your mileage can and in all likelihood will vary. .. ;)

This is incorrect. Thai labor law specifically states that a working day is 8 hours, and anything over that is overtime. Also, a working week is 40 hours, anything over that is overtime. That is the law, but many do not follow it, and specifically tell their staff what the working times/hours/days are, and that the pay agreed to already includes overtime. This really to skirt the law.

Patrick

Ma Baan means house mother, not house wife. My janitorial service company employs many maids, or janitors, and they are all called ma baan, whether they work in a factory or a house.

This should be fun....."my Thai is better than yours".....:w00t:...... May I suggest hand bags at dawn

have a maid 1000 bht one day a week .

incliding a happy ending , after the cleaning chores ,are finished.

other wise , the lazy bstd will just sleep on the bed .

hope this helps :jap:

Thank you guys ('n dolls...?), your posts helped me a lot.

I have been here almost 2 years on and off, and when it comes to money I stopped comparing with the West. In general I try to follow Thai standards. However, Thai families pay far less than foreigners. I wouldn't say underpaid, because it seems to be accepted by Thai. But I decided to pay 50 baht per hour (for 3-4 hours a week)

Btw..No extra 'chores'! bah.gif

I have a woman come in every other day clean the house straighten things up etc. I pay her 1500 a month she is quite happy with that. Have my laundry picked up and delivered for 400 baht a month. So less than 2000 a month for everything but cooking I eat out all the time so that is taken care of too.