Pattaya Bar Hours Extended; 24-Hour Bars May Be Possible Soon

george

Pattaya gets 24 hour drinking whilst in Chiang Mai as things stand, all bars, hotels and restaurants are to be required, from 1st January, to comply with the law which prevents the sale of alcohol between 2 and 5 pm. This is unfair and unjust. Let's hope the mayor of Chiang Mai looks into the adverse effects on tourism of the alcohol restrictions here - although I'm not sure whether the Mayor of Chiang Mai has as much power as the Mayor of Pattaya - more likley to be the unelected Governor who is responsible.

Perhaps the people of Chiang Mai don't want drunken farangs 24/7.

Pattaya gets 24 hour drinking whilst in Chiang Mai as things stand, all bars, hotels and restaurants are to be required, from 1st January, to comply with the law which prevents the sale of alcohol between 2 and 5 pm. This is unfair and unjust. Let's hope the mayor of Chiang Mai looks into the adverse effects on tourism of the alcohol restrictions here - although I'm not sure whether the Mayor of Chiang Mai has as much power as the Mayor of Pattaya - more likley to be the unelected Governor who is responsible.

They have enforced that idiotic 2-5 law pretty religiously here in Bangkok since its inception, which has ensured that I stayed home more and saved money. Now they have made Jatujak Market a no alcohol zone, which is simply retarded, and once again I stay home and save money. I have never seen anyone raving drunk anywhere in Bangkok between the hours of 2-5 (and I do get around, well I USED to until I couldn't drink in those hours any more) ) even once in ten years so I just don't get what the problem is- its probably all the work of some hypocritical fossil of a politician who pushes through a backwards, meaningless law that inconveniences a lot of people and hurts a lot of businesses just so he can play the highly moral fellow to his wife's majhong club. :realangry: It's just stupid, I used to go to Zen for sushi at 4 in the afternoon, my dinner time and have a cold beer, I just don't get it. I'm sure they miss me.

All I want to do is walk around quietly with a cold beer in my hand and enjoy my afternoon despite the godawful heat, but no can do. The last time I went to Jatujak (which sadly just may be the last time I went to Jatujak) the vendors who knew me all sold me beer hush hush and wrapped the cans in paper towels for me- I feel sorry for them.

Anyway, congrats to Pataya, guess I'll take some of that money I'm saving not going out in Bangkok any more and head down there! leave the light on! :clap2:

It's pretty sad that you can't do anything without alcohol. Haev you thought of getting help with your problem? Why don't you move to Pattaya? You can then drink 24/7.

Edited by w11guy

Farangs make Thai's do bad things Joe. And the very, very bad things happen in Pattaya. I thought everyone knew that.

i am quite aware of what goes on in pattaya - it's a brothel.

as such is one of thailand's major national disgraces... if it wasn't tragic it would be comical that it's continually trying to pass itself off as a family resort.

i've been there and seen it - it's a brothel.

however to suggest that this is the fault of the foreign men who visit the place is erroneous.

the thai authorities, business people with vested interests, parents in the provinces living off the spoils and every other thai who quietly tolerates what they know very well goes on in pattaya and the other resorts where major sex trade goes on are the ones to blame - they are the ones encouraging or at least allowing it to happen.

furthermore the resorts foreigners visit are only the highly visible tip of the sex trade iceberg in thailand - every two horse village in the country has a karaoke bar, a thai cafe or a massage shop where the local men partake of the services of prostitutes, and the entertainment districts catering to the local trade in the big cities are more numerous and in some cases bigger than those catering to foreigners - just slightly less obvious.

blaming foreigners for the thai tradition of easily available sex for money??

get real <deleted> :bah:

Their was no sex for sale in Thailand it all came with the Vietnam war and soldiers on R R :lol: You do not believe me asked THE BOYS in power in BKK :lol:

Edited by hardy1943

Pattaya.... a city "In the business of entertainment and in the entertainment business," said the Pattaya Mayor's foreign business Adviser Drew Noyes.

Anybody read this bit?

Or this?

American Drew Noyes, who also owns PAPPA Co., Ltd. said, "The Entertainment Zone is identified on "The Official Map of Pattaya" produced for the Pattaya City government by PAPPA Co., Ltd. Publication Division."

Hilarious.

They have enforced that idiotic 2-5 law pretty religiously here in Bangkok since its inception, which has ensured that I stayed home more and saved money. Now they have made Jatujak Market a no alcohol zone, which is simply retarded, and once again I stay home and save money. I have never seen anyone raving drunk anywhere in Bangkok between the hours of 2-5 (and I do get around, well I USED to until I couldn't drink in those hours any more) ) even once in ten years so I just don't get what the problem is- its probably all the work of some hypocritical fossil of a politician who pushes through a backwards, meaningless law that inconveniences a lot of people and hurts a lot of businesses just so he can play the highly moral fellow to his wife's majhong club. :realangry: It's just stupid, I used to go to Zen for sushi at 4 in the afternoon, my dinner time and have a cold beer, I just don't get it. I'm sure they miss me.

All I want to do is walk around quietly with a cold beer in my hand and enjoy my afternoon despite the godawful heat, but no can do. The last time I went to Jatujak (which sadly just may be the last time I went to Jatujak) the vendors who knew me all sold me beer hush hush and wrapped the cans in paper towels for me- I feel sorry for them.

Anyway, congrats to Pataya, guess I'll take some of that money I'm saving not going out in Bangkok any more and head down there! leave the light on! :clap2:

It's pretty sad that you can't do anything without alcohol. Haev you thought of getting help with your problem? Why don't you move to Pattaya? You can then drink 24/7.

Walk around with a beer in your hand? Sounds not very civilized though...and one's life should not depend on the right to walk around and have a booze. If really needed there are more than enough places to get a cold beer....

I can do whatever I want without alcohol, it's just more fun with. How about you get help for being so depressing? :rolleyes: Maybe I will move to Pattaya since Bangkok has become the realm of self righteous bores.

Edited by JatujakShopper

Walk around with a beer in your hand? Sounds not very civilized though...and one's life should not depend on the right to walk around and have a booze. If really needed there are more than enough places to get a cold beer....

Funny, it seems like it's usually the non drinkers I see around the world that behave in the least civilized manner. It's obvious you and some others have absolutely zero sense of humor, lighten up a little! Come on, have a beer, you'll feel better!

Really, they should simply put a fence around pattaya so that people can't inadvertently visit it believing it is a family destination. Rename it hedonism or something equally descriptive.

They could run it like an adult destination and you must sign a disclaimer preventing you from criticising it if you happen to not like it.

If the article is to be believed, these "relaxed" hours apply to a so-called entertainment zone (an area from Dolphin roundabout to Walking St, and to 3rd Rd on the west)...so, I hope the old hours will be strictly enforced outside of these areas so some of us can get a decent night's sleep.

I hope the better hoteliers in the entertainment zone will get together to ensure the noise factor in their vicinity will not adversely affect their clientele at 4am!!!! Fancy staying at a Hilton and getting woken at 4am with the boom-boom sound systems from nearby bars?

Hmmmm I thought that "boom Boom" meant something totally different..... Maybe that sound come from the next door room whistling.gif

You have just insulted in the most disgusting fashion the vast majority of the inhabitants of Pattaya.

That you have done so in print says a lot about your ethics.

That you have done so under the cowardly cloak of anonymity speaks volumes of your moral fiber.

Visited Pattaya only a couple of months ago.

I would agree that the place is one big low class brothel and crime ridden cess pit. And I say this under a cowardly cloak of anonymity, wouldn`t wish to become a target for any of those Pattaya mobs.

The only types of people this statement would offend is those who have vested interests in that city, but a fact is a fact no matter who says it. The headlines speak for themselves.

Personally i would not want to live there for free

This is but no means anything personal against you, PhilHarries, and I respect you and your opinion, just my personal opinion regarding Pattaya.

likewise wouldn't live in the place if i was given a free condo and an allowance - it horrifies me.

however rose tinted a pair of specs you wear it's still undeniable that if you removed the brothel element of pattaya the rest of it would almost completely collapse as the sex trade is the engine that drives it's economy.

a crappy beach, a few golf courses and some second rate tourist attractions would certainly not support the place. hence my initial observation that it is a brothel - all the other business lines are peripherals.

sorry to point out that unwelcome and by no means new truth to those members here who have lived so long in LOS that they have adopted the local habit of existing in a state of denail about the iniquity of certain aspects of life in thailand and particularly in pattaya.

Who's in a state of denial?

As all of Thailand is the same, though perhaps less "in your face" than Pattaya, your statement would perhaps apply more to those that live elsewhere, but pretend to themselves that THEIR locality is pure as driven snow.

I have no illusions about Pattaya, but having lived here, can't imagine living in any boring place elsewhere.

You have just insulted in the most disgusting fashion the vast majority of the inhabitants of Pattaya.

That you have done so in print says a lot about your ethics.

That you have done so under the cowardly cloak of anonymity speaks volumes of your moral fiber.

Visited Pattaya only a couple of months ago.

I would agree that the place is one big low class brothel and crime ridden cess pit. And I say this under a cowardly cloak of anonymity, wouldn`t wish to become a target for any of those Pattaya mobs.

The only types of people this statement would offend is those who have vested interests in that city, but a fact is a fact no matter who says it. The headlines speak for themselves.

Personally i would not want to live there for free

This is but no means anything personal against you, PhilHarries, and I respect you and your opinion, just my personal opinion regarding Pattaya.

Well, you must have spent your entire time in the "red light" area. Perhaps that's all you wanted to see, so it reinforced your preconceived outrage.

There are none so blind as those that will not see.

Personally, I think it's good that you don't want to stay here, but will you please take all the "bogus morality" hypocrytes away with you.

I rarely drink alcohol, but I think it is silly to restrict the sale of it as if a certain three hours are a witching time. If it is OK to drink at 5:30, then how is it somehow wrong to sell it at 4:30?

I travel to Hawaii often, and that place has it right. In the tourist areas, you can get a beer, a shot of rum, an American breakfast, a steak, a Japanese breakfast, whatever, and any time of the day or night. Tourists coming to Hawaii are usually on their own time clocks, not Hawaiian time. And if they are there for a week or less, they probably won't get adjusted all the way. So when their bodies tell them to eat breakfast or have a beer, the locals are more than willing to sell them whatever they want. The locals make money, the tourists are happy.

They have enforced that idiotic 2-5 law pretty religiously here in Bangkok since its inception, which has ensured that I stayed home more and saved money. Now they have made Jatujak Market a no alcohol zone, which is simply retarded, and once again I stay home and save money. I have never seen anyone raving drunk anywhere in Bangkok between the hours of 2-5 (and I do get around, well I USED to until I couldn't drink in those hours any more) ) even once in ten years so I just don't get what the problem is- its probably all the work of some hypocritical fossil of a politician who pushes through a backwards, meaningless law that inconveniences a lot of people and hurts a lot of businesses just so he can play the highly moral fellow to his wife's majhong club.

The law was actually passed in 1972, by the Revolutionary Council (an unelected junta who had participated in one of the many coups) to prevent trouble during their rule. It was unenforced for many years until Thaksin found it had never been revoked, so imposed it supposedly to prevent youths from buying alcohol. The law was stupid then, and is stupid now.

Also, in the UK , it is up to each local authority to decide when pubs can open and when they should close. Perhaps something similar could happen in Thailand?

Since moving to Bangkok, I've been amazed at how casually the government shuts down small businesses with "alcohol-free" days.

The night market around On Nut BTS, which is where I prefer to have dinner and a beer, has been closed down repeatedly, and I'm forced into the back-street places in Phra Khanong to find a mom and pop shop where I can at least buy a beer when even Lotus puts a chain up in front of the beer and liquor section.

Last night it happened again. I couldn't get the food I wanted because many of the vendors had simply shut down their grills, and there was no music anywhere.

I went back through the Lotus. Chain up. I asked a few people what was going on, and no one could tell me.

Walked down to the local pub where last week a drunken policeman rose from his table full of fellow officers and tried to shake me down for tea money when he saw me taking away beer.

The owner and his wife were having dinner alone last night. I asked for a couple of bottles, and he showed me an official letterhead warning he'd gotten from the same policemen who pull their motorcycles into the yard and use the place as a hideaway during slow periods. When I asked him what this was all about, all he said was "Thailand no good."

He slipped me a couple of beers and asked me not to come back until Monday.

I guess he needs a mayor like the one they have in Pattaya.

Edited by anselpixel