Thaksin To Attend Human Rights Violation Hearing In US

webfact

Thai government spokesman Panitan Wattanayagorn said Tuesday authorities were considering whether to send a representative to testify at the hearing.

I would nominate 2 ladies to go.

Angkana Neelapaijit, the widow of civil rights lawyer Somchai who has been missing since he was last seen in March 2004 and is now presumed dead.

And Grandma Udom, the elderly woman who, along with her husband, hid behind a refrigerator and survived a hail of bullets fired by Drug War Commandos headed by henchman and confidant Yonguth in a raid on their home.

Edited by Buchholz

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is a great move. Robert Amsterdam must be terrified at the thought of Thaksin appearing before a Western tribunal, given his incoherencies and general foot in mouth appearances in the Western media. The Jim Clancy "Black Songkran" interview being the most famous. I'd say the silence from Thaksin we've seen lately is another example of this - he's been "advised" not to say anything for fear of incrimination. Will he also be advised not to take the invitation up? He's damned if he doesn't go, and potentially even more damned if he does.

Noppadon said today that Thaksin is definitely going to Washington next week and that he is not concerned about the extradition treaty between the USA and Thailand.

He assured the press that Thaksin has no visa problems and that he can freely go to America. He was unsure which passport his boss will use, only saying that it won't be on a Thai passport, because that one has been revoked.

extrayj.jpg

PM Denies Secret Plot with US to Trap Thaksin

The prime minister has kept quiet with the media in response to reports that the United States has invited fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra to testify about Thailand's political situation and violence during the red-shirt protests.

He also denied consulting with the US president regarding the exchange of Viktor Bout for Thaksin.

Ahead of the Cabinet meeting, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva shrugged off WikiLeak reports that indicate that Washington may not have cooperated with the extradition of the ousted Thai ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra had Thailand failed to hand over Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout to the US.

Abhisit also denied having negotiated a deal with US President Barrack Obama over the exchange of each country's wanted suspects, while jokingly saying that he only talked with him about an iPad.

He noted that the Foreign Ministry has not received any reports about Thaksin's trip to the US, and only smiled when a journalist told him that a US human rights agency has invited the fugitive former prime minister to a briefing in Washington on December 16.

The premier did say that cabinet ministers may consider whether to send Thai diplomats to clarify the matter with the US at today's Cabinet meeting.

In response to a question about factors that might prevent Thaksin from entering the US, Abhisit vaguely responded, “there are many.”

Government Spokesman Panithan Wattanayakorn said the government is awaiting confirmation from the US as to whether the invitation is legitimate.

He added that it is up to Washington whether to permit Thaksin's entry or not.

Panithan dismissed speculations that the invitation is a trap set up by the US and Thai governments in an attempt to arrest the former Thai premier, while saying that the Thai authorities will continue to seek cooperation from the US for Thaksin's extradition.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-12-07

footer_n.gif

Edited by Buchholz

Mr Noppadon earlier said Mr Thaksin will arrive Washington Dec 16 and the CSCE briefing will consider alleged human rights violations during the political disorder in March-May which led to a number of deaths and injuries as well as following up on the insurgency situation in Thailand's three southernmost provinces, and the violation of freedom of expression of the media and public opinion which have been caused by the enforcement of a state of emergency.

With k. Thaksin not in Thailand since 2008, not 'actively' involved since September 2006, he seems to be the right man to brief the CSCE.

I guess this trip will not happen, but at least k. Thaksin is in the news again ;)

Noppadon said today that Thaksin is definitely going to Washington next week and that he is not concerned about the extradition treaty between the USA and Thailand.

He assured the press that Thaksin has no visa problems and that he can freely go to America. He was unsure which passport his boss will use, only saying that it won't be on a Thai passport, because that one has been revoked.

In all seriousness, if Noppadon says its true, it will turn out to be false. That man would answer 5 to 1+1 = . Easy to understand him. If he says Yes, the answer is really no.

<_<

Thaksin, Facing Thai Terror Charge, Doesn't Fear U.S. Arrest, Lawyer Says

Thaksin Shinawatra, a former Thai prime minister who faces a terrorism charge in Thailand, is unconcerned about a possible arrest during a planned visit to the U.S. next week, spokesman Noppadon Pattama said. “We appreciate the risk but he decided to go” and testify before a U.S. government human rights commission, Noppadon said by phone today. “There shouldn’t be any problem.”

The testimony before the committee of U.S. congressional representatives gives Thaksin a platform to explain protests from his supporters earlier this year that led to at least 89 deaths. Thailand’s government has charged him with terrorism for his role in supporting the protests. “This is an independent U.S. entity, not part of the U.S. government as such,” Thani Thongpakdi, Thai foreign ministry spokesman, said by phone. “We’re confident that the U.S. will understand what happened at the time.”

Thaksin plans to present evidence to the commission about human rights violations during the protests and detail his views on reconciliation, Noppadon said.

“We hope that with fuller evidence and details given by our side, U.S. congressmen and Senators will know the truth and understand the present political situation better,” he said. “We hope that we would gain some support and sympathy.”

Continues:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-12-07/thaksin-facing-thai-terror-charge-doesn-t-fear-u-s-arrest-lawyer-says.html

Bloomberg - December 7, 2010

If he's going next week, he should be applying now:

U.S. Embassy Serbia (for Montenegrin citizens)

Visas - How to Apply

If you plan to travel to the U.S. you should have in mind that visa interview time may be from a few days to few weeks away, so please plan ahead.

Step 1

Obtain a Personal Identification Number (PIN) at any Raiffeisen Bank or Banca Intesa branch in Serbia or Montenegro Bank in Montenegro. This PIN number will allow you to access our call center in Serbia for information and the scheduling of a visa appointment. It costs approximately $10, to be paid in either dinars (in Serbia) or euros (in Montenegro).

Step 2: Make a Phone Call

After obtaining the PIN number, wait 24 hours for the PIN to be activated. Then please call +(381-11) 3050-550. You may access the call center any working day between the hours of 9 am and 6 pm, Monday through Friday.

Tourist Visas (B2)

Persons traveling to the United States for purposes of tourism or to make social visits to relatives or friends must make an appointment for an interview and provide all the documents described in "Basic documents and photographs".

In addition, applicants for tourist visas must demonstrate that

1. They have a residence outside the U.S. as well as other binding ties which will insure their return abroad at the end of the visit

2. The purpose of their trip is to enter the U.S. for pleasure

3. That they plan to remain for a specific, limited period

4. Evidence of funds to cover expenses in the United States

Requests for urgent appointments will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. There are emergency appointments set aside daily for scheduling through the call center at (381-11) 305-0550. Cases could include urgent business travel, student/exchange programs with an imminent start date, recent qualification for sports tournaments, etc. These appointments are not, however, available to those who have failed to plan ahead.

Edited by Buchholz

:rolleyes:

I'll give two for one (limit 1000 baht per bet and a max of three people betting) that Thaksin won't be extradited to Thailand from the U.S...he knows too much.

The former U.S. administration (i.e. that of George W) has too much to lose if Thaksin actually gets to Thailand...and his contacts with the that U.S. administraion are revealed.

Especially if the contacts between large U.S. based financial institutions and Thailand are part of that revelation.

Today the banks run the U.S. (no political candidate can run for office without raising money, and that's controlled by the financial institutions.) So they don't want unpleasant facts revealed.

For that reason, they will use their influence to make sure nothing embaressing happens. Irregardless of whether the political party is the Democrats, the Republicans, or whatever...money is what they depend on for their continued existance. The big banks control that now, so by default they control the government.

:rolleyes:

The record this mouthpiece has displayed for truthfulness leaves a little question as to the accuracy of this article. When the man steps foot on US shores I will believe it. Although one article that the request for his presence was mailed to his US address. Maybe he has been there all the time.

I did a check of the OSCE web site including coming hearings,

and a search of 'Thaksin' and search of 'Thailand'.

Absolutely NOTHING about either.

More Nopadum hot air.

Is this just another fantasy of the mouthpiece?

I personally don't believe there was any invitation, and the whole story is a hoax by T's attorneys to try to add a bit of respect to his rightfully trashed image.

^^got it wrong.

Time to adjust false beliefs and fantasies to reality.

Thailand's fugitive ex-PM to speak to US panel: official

BANGKOK, December 7, 2010 (AFP) - Thailand's fugitive former prime minister is to give evidence to a US government human rights panel on deadly "Red Shirt" anti-government protests in the kingdom, officials have confirmed.

It makes you wonder (just a little bit) if THIS might be the payoff for Victor B.

Extradition of Thaksin to Thailand from the US? It would make me proud :)

And what if not? Will you feel ashamed?

Extradition should be based on the individual case and the law and not seen as a trading business. Some people seems to have an odd understanding of justice and legal proceedings.

There are even opportunistic Thai politicians who claim not to be "afraid" of what Thaksin has to say. "They" (the Thai government) has numerous people on standby to explain what really happened. "Almost Everybody" (The Thai elite) know that no human rights violations have taken place by suppressing the red shirt demonstrations... Interesting to know.

The same politicians do believe that the American house will allow a invited guest to be arrested and expelled to Thailand. anyone with one more braincell that the known cow, would understand that if such thing would happen. Nobody would be willing to testify for a house commission anymore.

So it seems the elite keeps on dreaming. In the meantime almost none of us, still see how a sniper killed Sae Daeng and women and even children in a peaceful Thai temple. Sonthi will keep on blaming thaksin for the mosque massacre (while Sonthi was really in charge over there) and prosecutors keep on postponing the indictment of yellow shirt leaders who peacefully (NOT) colsed the airport. according the other Sondhi, not the yellow shirt closed the airports but the Airport Authority. He did not know however if this was standard procedure when strangers occupied the tower.....

It is high time people testify in a open and honest court, being that on the congress or the house.

It makes you wonder (just a little bit) if THIS might be the payoff for Victor B.

It would certainly prove that the US has lost any shred of moral or legal decency if they refuse to extradite him. I won't feel ashamed, I will just pity that my old homeland has completed the transition to a 3rd world banana republic.

His extradition from the US would make me proud because it would prove to me the US has not yet become a completely corrupt den of thieves with no sense of right and wrong, or of justice.

What an excellent idea !! Fugitive Taksin to face the charges of slaughtering Burmese who crossed the northern Thai border during drug searches for amphetamines crossing via the Mae Nam Kok river. Over 1500 men were shot under Taksin's orders.

Extradition should be based on the individual case and the law and not seen as a trading business. Some people seems to have an odd understanding of justice and legal proceedings.

The energy expended and expedience applied to an extradition request might be bartered,

but the underlying case would be sound or it's not going to happen.

The 'other paper' only lists 'a source', and the only other 'source' saying this is Nopadum.

Nothing on the committees site says anything.

It is noted this 'invitation' went to Thaksin's Washington address,

and that means his PR lobbying firm, Baker, Bott & etc, if memory serves, consisting of ex. senators, cabinet members, including Bush crony, Trilateral Commission and Carlisle Group member, former Bush Sr. Sec State James Baker, and a phalanx of ex. congressional aides and lobbyists, who will make deals if the price is right. Money talks, and truth is not always money's main consideration.

So yet another PR move by Thaksin, this is likely not just something the committee thought up on their own.

A bit of advice to journalists, follow the money. What PACS are associated BB friends and which committee members got nice re-election committee donations in the recent past from said PACS?

Edited by animatic

I hope he takes a refresher course in English before he goes. One of his great failings is his inability to communicate in English.

You beat me to it. I remember seeing him being interviewed (in English) for a French channel. The poor guy asking the questions obviously didn't understand one answer and just moved on to the next question once Mr.T paused,

Incoherent at best.

It would certainly prove that the US has lost any shred of moral or legal decency if they refuse to extradite him. I won't feel ashamed, I will just pity that my old homeland has completed the transition to a 3rd world banana republic.

His extradition from the US would make me proud because it would prove to me the US has not yet become a completely corrupt den of thieves with no sense of right and wrong, or of justice.

So assumed Thaksin goes to the USA, will not be arrested nor extradited to Thailand you would not complain about if someone calls the USA a "completely corrupt den of thieves" or something similar nor moan about these 'US-bashers'?

On the other hand - if the extradition would happen - that would be just the normal legal procedere. Not something outstanding achievement or performance extraordinaire but just the thing you would expect to happen, a case of normality. How is that something to be proud of, specially if you don't have taken any participation in it?

Me thinks the US will have no choice but to refuse him a visa just to avoid embarrassing Thailand.

Especially after the VB favor.

Anyway it will be interesting to see what happens.

I belive like the UK the US will try remain neutral and simple refuse entry.

What ever never mind! the sun is shining and its a glorious day to to the beach and chill out!

Returning the favor;

Agree and plan together with Thai government to extradite Mr T shortly after arrival and arrest, then fail to honor the agreement while corrupt judges and politicians enrich themselves accepting bribes from Mr T until Thailand finally outbribes Mr T.

It wouldn't prove anything of the kind.

In this matter as in most other dealings between states, the driving force is what is perceived to be self interest.Law plays a part certainly, morality in my view very little.As Charles de Gaulle commented long ago "The state is a cold cold creature." All this is understood very well by the great powers the US, China, Russia etc.

Thaksin's human rights abuses will hardly be relevant in this (US extradition) matter.Why?

1.Thailand has never raised them as an extradition matter (and we know the reason why)

2.Brutal though Tak Bai and other southern atrocities were, Thaksin was not primarily responsible. (The military was).

3.Drugs war killings.Difficult case to make and sell internally since the ultimate objective seen as laudable (still probably the opinion of most Thais).Support at the time from elite interests still powerful can't be overlooked (and certainly won't be by Thaksin's lawyers)

On the subject of Robert Amsterdam generally, it won't be sufficient to hurl abuse at him as is common on this forum and elsewhere, sometimes accompanied by snide anti semitism (S.P Somtow).His arguments will have to be addressed and demolished in possible in a cool forensic way.They never are, certainly on this forum.If the Thais were clued up they would already be looking to recruit one of Washington's many very smart lawyers.

4.Bush/Blair plausibly guilty of much worse

I hope he takes a refresher course in English before he goes. One of his great failings is his inability to communicate in English.

You beat me to it. I remember seeing him being interviewed (in English) for a French channel. The poor guy asking the questions obviously didn't understand one answer and just moved on to the next question once Mr.T paused,

Incoherent at best.

nded

My northern English dialect sounds like QE2 compared to his rubbish attempt, he is pathetic, cheating his own country, He thrives on top publicity, he needs to be in the limelight, and all I can assume is that his wealth and power has gone to his head ( exactly like many footballers get) all think they are movie stars. He cannot see it---he is in denial --period. and now this fresh publicity stunt.. Not satisfied with the caos he just caused in BKK--and part funded

Am I right to assume that Takky will walk off the plane and into 'cuffs? There being a galaxy-wide arrest warrant out for him, etc.

Should be interesting to watch this non-event evaporate.......imho.

Hmmmmm, Brewsta

The record this mouthpiece has displayed for truthfulness leaves a little question as to the accuracy of this article. When the man steps foot on US shores I will believe it. Although one article that the request for his presence was mailed to his US address. Maybe he has been there all the time.

Edited by Brewsta

Incoherent at best.

Perhaps some kind American publicist or lawyer might volunteer his services, on a pro-bono basis naturally, to translate for & assist Dr Thaksin in explaining the money-trails which financed the arsonists & grenade-throwers ?

Can any TV-poster think of some such person, who might assist ? B)

Edited by Ricardo

Add this interview to wikileaks and this could be the year when the skeletons start to fall out of the cupboard. Thaksin had his finger in many cans of worms, back him into a corner and many important people would have cause to worry, and not just in Thailand.

The energy expended and expedience applied to an extradition request might be bartered,

but the underlying case would be sound or it's not going to happen.

The 'other paper' only lists 'a source', and the only other 'source' saying this is Nopadum.

Nothing on the committees site says anything.

It is noted this 'invitation' went to Thaksin's Washington address,

and that means his PR lobbying firm, Baker, Bott & etc, if memory serves, consisting of ex. senators, cabinet members, including Bush crony, Trilateral Commission and Carlisle Group member, former Bush Sr. Sec State James Baker, and a phalanx of ex. congressional aides and lobbyists, who will make deals if the price is right. Money talks, and truth is not always money's main consideration.

So yet another PR move by Thaksin, this is likely not just something the committee thought up on their own.

A bit of advice to journalists, follow the money. What PACS are associated BB friends and which committee members got nice re-election committee donations in the recent past from said PACS?

Thank you for clear information. Check first what is what, then everyone has the freedom to open his mouth.

I hope it's a setup and they pick him up on terrorism charges and all the rest of the crimes he is guilty of.

Yes, maybe Suthep should also go as as much responsible for crimes as Takki

Maybe you should also join them for crimes against the English language :D

Thaksin plans to present evidence to the commission about human rights violations during the protests and detail his views on reconciliation, Noppadon said. “We hope that with fuller evidence and details given by our side, U.S. congressmen and Senators will know the truth and understand the present political situation better,” he said. “We hope that we would gain some support and sympathy.” Continues:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-12-07/thaksin-facing-thai-terror-charge-doesn-t-fear-u-s-arrest-lawyer-says.html

Bloomberg - December 7, 2010

Thaksin won't testify before any panel in the US. It's balderdash. However, it would be fun to see him in the hot seat (he himself would make it 'hot', because he's so full of composting manure). US politicians are a world different than their SE Asian counterparts. SE Asian VIPs are so steeped in 'saving face' and other politecisms (my word) that they can't even speak out frankly about Burma. US politicians, on the other hand, rise to the opportunity to speak frankly. Thaksin will wither like a string bean in a blast furnace. I hope it's televised. A word of advice to anyone interviewing Thaksin (if they don't already know): Everything he asserts, the opposite is true. The more emphatically he asserts something, the more the opposite is the real story.

I was at the US Embassy this morning in Abu Dhabi with my Thai wife applying for a US visa and can confirm that Khun Thaksin was at the embassy.

Really? Interesting. Did he seem to be applying for a visa? I know in Thailand, any farang sporting two or more passports is considered breaking the law. Of course, Thaksin (with his half dozen passports and at least one pseudonym) is above such laws, ....because he's so rich.