Obtained a new Type "O" Multi Entry visa in Penang

Hello All:

I am reporting back to this group regarding my first trip to Penang for a one year Multi Entry Type O Visa!

I used to get this visa at a Thai consulate in Canada but now they are no longer issuing these.

I contacted Manaff (MAN) by e-mail and asked if I could still get a one year Type O from Penang? He advised me that I could but it is now getting very difficult to get one and is at the discretion of the Thai consul.

I was advised that I would need the following:

2 -passport pictures

2 -copies of my passport

2- copies plus an original letter from a Thai bank showing that I have a minimum of 200,000 Baht in the account.

He also mentioned that they would want me to have had a One-Year Type O previously preferable issued in Penang.

I took my old passport as well as my newer one (of a year ago) with me to Penang I flew with AirAsia and arrived around 10:00 PM, converted some money at the airport and took a Taxi to the Continental hotel. Obtained a descent room for 69MR which was a surprise as I expected the price to be 89MR. However I was by myself and the discount was due to that I suppose.

I called Man in the morning and he came right over and had me sign the documents, took the photocopies and originals and asked for the fee, which was 550 MR. Just prior to leaving he told me that he could not guarantee a Type O as it was discretionary by the consulate. I said I understood and that is why I was using him as many people had indicated the HE could make things happen.

The next day I telephoned him at 2:30 PM and my passport was returned with a new One Year Type O multi entry visa enclosed in the passport.

I must say that I was impressed with him and he is a straightforward and honest person. The actual cost of the Visa was 500MR with 50MR going to him for his efforts. I was very happy to have paid that amount to get what I wanted.

In conclusion, I was very happy with the trip, and Man's efforts! He can be reached by telephone in Penang at: +6016-455 4851

Good Luck to all!

Goodonyer, nice to see a positive report abt Penang :o

In conclusion, I was very happy with the trip, and Man's efforts! He can be reached by telephone in Penang at: +6016-455 4851

Is this the guy from outside the "Swiss" Hotel?

AFAIK that isnt grounds for a type O..

Married ?? Retired / over 50 ?? Or in the most generous of cases / consulates 'visiting friends and or family' can be done...

If Penang is issueing multiple non imm O's under the latter that will cut into the Biz visa incomes of people like Sunbelt etc..

Married ?? Retired / over 50 ?? Or in the most generous of cases / consulates 'visiting friends and or family' can be done...

If Penang is issueing multiple non imm O's under the latter that will cut into the Biz visa incomes of people like Sunbelt etc..

Thats what i was thinking..............if they are issuing them on the grounds of "family and friends" it would beat having to head back to the UK once a year.

Thats what i was thinking..............if they are issuing them on the grounds of "family and friends" it would beat having to head back to the UK once a year.

Please forgive my ignorance on obtaining a Thai visa this was the first trip to Penang and how, what and why one gets a visa here in Thailand can be confusing. As mentioned "Man" took care of everything. He asked me some questions and the answers are as follows:

Are you married to a Thai lady? Answer No!

How old are you? Answer 59

Do you work? Answer Retired

Where do you like? I live in Chiang Mai and have done so for three years!

I hope that this helps clarify things a bit!

Best to all

I suspect that was a key answer - over 50 and thus not likely to be a worker trying to evade tax so a presentation of money in the bank was accepted with the understanding you were retired but probably unable to meet the retirement criteria for extension of stay (800k in bank).

Or I could be all wet. :o

I suspect that was a key answer - over 50 and thus not likely to be a worker trying to evade tax so a presentation of money in the bank was accepted with the understanding you were retired but probably unable to meet the retirement criteria for extension of stay (800k in bank).

I could if I wish meet the 800K Baht retirement visa minimum. However, I choose to keep this money working for me outside of Thailand. Having capital properly invested and working for one is in my mind much better than having it sitting in a bank and depreciating as the Thai Baht slides.

I could if I wish meet the 800K Baht retirement visa minimum. However, I choose to keep this money working for me outside of Thailand. Having capital properly invested and working for one is in my mind much better than having it sitting in a bank and depreciating as the Thai Baht slides.

There is no requirement to keep the money in the account so that does not hold much water. If you have other "income" it would even reduce the amount you have to show once a year. You might want to re-consider your options if/when the visa runs become less than a pleasure.

There is no requirement to keep the money in the account so that does not hold much water. If you have other "income" it would even reduce the amount you have to show once a year. You might want to re-consider your options if/when the visa runs become less than a pleasure.

I am not an expert on Thai government regulations, I do what I am told and keep my mouth shut!

I was told the following:

To obtain another Type O multi-entry visa I needed 200,000 Baht in the bank!

To obtain a Retirement Visa I needed 800,000 Baht in the bank!

This was told to me by a immigration officer in Chiang Mai who was very helpful.

Regarding pensions etc. they start kicking in next year.

• 2 weeks later...

I just telephoned Mr Manaff in Penang.

He is a very charming Indian man.

I was interested to know whether I would need to show money or not

and if so how much.

I am 60 and have had a one year non-o visa before

only from London and never before from Penang.

The whole situation does seem to be very discretionery.

I told him that I had 90,000 and not 200,000 baht in a Thai bank account

and he just said no problem.

He did seem to be saying that you must show some money

while in London you do not.

Everything seems to be disecretionery and no problem.

Ther does not seem to be a definitive answer anywhere.

I just telephoned Mr Manaff in Penang.

He is a very charming Indian man.

I was interested to know whether I would need to show money or not

and if so how much.

I am 60 and have had a one year non-o visa before

only from London and never before from Penang.

The whole situation does seem to be very discretionery.

I told him that I had 90,000 and not 200,000 baht in a Thai bank account

and he just said no problem.

He did seem to be saying that you must show some money

while in London you do not.

Everything seems to be disecretionery and no problem.

Ther does not seem to be a definitive answer anywhere.

G'day Jobs,

keep us posted on the outcome in Penang. :o

• 1 month later...

How to get a one year non-o visa in Penang.

Here is an extract from an email sent by the Thai consulate in Penang to Mr Manaff

about requirements for a one year non-o and other visas:-

1. Passport and 2 recent photos.

2. Retirement - (should be more than 55 years old)

proof of pension/fund/bank

account must be produced & pension documents certified

if possible by respective embassies/consulate

(pension/fund should be at least 30,000 Baht monthly)

3. married to Thai national, original married certificate, also a copy / or birth certificate.

I arrived off the overnight train from Bangkok to Butterworth on October 18th. 2005,

and took the ferry to Georgetown (1.20 Ringit).

When you get off the ferry walk over

the pedestrian bridges until you reach the main road with all of the taxis and rickshaws, make a left, and then walk to the end of the iron railings in the center of the road and make a sharp right up the turning that leads inland. This will take you all of the way to Chulia Street, where are all of the Thai visa agents and hotels and guest houses. If you keep going a long way you will also get to the Thai consulate. There is just time to reach the Thai consulate before it closes (I think.)

It is better to use an agent at a cost of 50 Ringit. They all know what to put on what form and what to say at the Thai consulate.

You can do it yourself but if like me you are a bad diplomat and tend to say the wrong thing you can have trouble.

Mr. Manaff is a Tamil Muslim who works out of Maju Mehaa Singh Travel & Tours at 384 Chulia Street.

It is on the right side of the road. Telephone 001-60-16-455-4851. Email [email protected].

He took my passport, 2 photos, all of my photocopies and 550 Ringit (500 for the visa and 50 for his fee.) One Ringit is about eleven Baht, so multiply by ten and add the Ringit and you have Thai Baht. Thus 550 Ringit = 550*10 + 550 or 6050 Baht.

He said that he would try. He could got guarantee. "Im Shallah" (God willing)

My photocopies included my passport, my Bangkok bank passbook showing cash flow and a balance of 140,000 baht and the chenuks for each of 2 condos in my name.

He could have gone to the Thai consulate again that day but did not in fact go until the following day which left me in suspense until the day after that when at 12 mid-day

I went again to his office and my passport had the one year non-o multiple entry visa.

So Im was very Shallah.

I really don't know quite how it happened. I seemed to have had all of the correct documentation and met the criteria.

It is not at all certain that a visa will be granted and it is still all very discretionary.

Penang is rather like Singapore only without the money and is very run down.

Only now is there any new construction and let us hope for a return to prosperity.

We are not allowed to mention drugs but until 1945 Penang used to have opium dens.

It now has boarded up shops and a heroin problem.

It reminds me of my home town Brighton.

Do visit the museum (all about Prince of Wales Island) and if you have time the botanical gardens.

Avoid the taxis. They none of them use meters and take you to the wrong place.

Enjoy the Indian Tamil cooking in large restaurants on the street.

Lamb curry, saffron rice, samosa with green sauce, chapati and a large glass of masalla chai.

Like other visa runners I stayed first at the Oriental Hotel at 60 Ringit per night and then at the Continental Hotel at 95 Ringit per night.

They are both up at the end of Chulia Street. Make a right for the Continental. Avoid the ladyboy. The rickshaw drivers will warn you.

The Oriental Hotel had no control for the air conditioning and so was too cold to sleep in. The 90 Ringit with buffet breakfast (deposit 300 Ringit) rooms at the Continental have separate room air cons with thermostat. Both hotels are near Chulia Street and have spectacular views of Penang across to the sea.

The Continental has a swimming pool. Both have tv, air con and a bath with hot water.

Like in Singapore, satellite TV seems to be banned and so there is only a 4 channel service of rather poor quality picture and content.

Also recommended are the backpacker places in Chulia Street at about 20 Ringit with fan or 30 Ringit with Air con.

The Stardust is a very good guest house/restaurant at 370 Chulia Street, showing dvd movies on a large screen every evening.

Shopping for dvds in the Contak (the new high rise 50 story round building) is great at 7 Ringits per dvd

(buy 5 get one free). Other goods seemed more expensive than Thailand.

Return ferry is free (there was nowhere to pay.) Train back to Bangkok at about 14:40. End of visa run.

The ticket to Butterworth costs about 1,100 baht each way and needs to be booked about 2 weeks in advance

from any railway station (60 days in advance is the maximum.)

On the train you can compare notes with all of the other visa runners.

Each one has a different story. This story is mine.

When you say “one year non-o visa”, do you mean a multiple-entry non-O visa, valid for an unlimited number of entries within one year from the date of issue of the visa, requiring departure from Thailand at least once every 90 days?

Here is an extract from an email sent by the Thai consulate in Penang to Mr Manaff

3. married to Thai national, original married certificate, also a copy / or birth certificate.

In other words, in Penang, the consulate wants you to be both over 55 years old and married to a Thai national. Interesting.

Unless one needs to travel frequently outside Thailand anyway, wouldn’t it be better to get a single-entry non-O for the purpose of visiting family and friends and then in Thailand apply for a one-year extension for the purpose of supporting Thai wife? That’s what I plan to do when the time comes.

Really? All these requirements also for a tourist visa, for a single-entry non-O for the purpose of visiting family and friends? Not according to everything else I’ve read in this forum.

Edited by xakero

xakero: those requirements were the understanding of a visa agent and 2/3 would be two conditions (not used together). The age 55 used to be the retirement minimum age so this may or may not be a valid for Consulate - but it is age 50 for retirement extension of stay. They do not require you to be married and retired over 55 to obtain a multi entry O visa.

Penang is deceptive as the city of Georgetown was, until very recently, under a tight rent control system which was designed to maintain the colonial look, limit construction and allow the residents to remain. That is why is may look poor. In fact believe the island of Penang is quite well to do.

I'm still in Penang as I write this, and I'm holding a computerized, full-page Thai visa that Mr. Manaff got me with no trouble. It's multiple entry, one year, type O non immigrant. I give Lopburi3 more credit, though, for pointing me to Penang.

Except at one point near the end, Mr. Manaff was professional. Then he played a practical joke and almost gave me a heart attack! I gave him the following, late Sunday:

a. proof of over 200,000 in a Thai bank (my recent passbook and ATM slip)

b. proof of pension of over 65,000 baht, from my embassy.

c. proof of age (well over 55)

d. my passport (I hate to give that up, but he brought it right back).

I didn't pressure him to get it back to me by noon Tuesday, because the consulate was closed for holidays 3 days last week. Mr. Manaff really appreciated that.

Manaff said my O was in fact a retirement visa. But it just says O and M. Can it be a retirement visa for one year? Houston offered me that in April (but I would have misplaced it, anyway). I will take it into the new full time office in Hua Hin and ask them if it needs to be converted to a retirement visa, or wait until next year.

The difference being: if it were a retirement visa, I should not have to do 90 day runs to the border, should I?

Regardless, Manaff was very good, so if you don't know a better agent in Penang, you can call him. He was prompt and punctual.

PS - I stayed at the Oriental Hotel at 105 Penang Road, where I was only charged 75 ringit; not bad. Prices here are higher than Thailand, maybe 20%, but at least almost everybody speaks some fair English.

Edited by PeaceBlondie

OK and hope that black cloud keeps away from you for awhile. You have the plain Jane multi (M) non immigrant O visa and will have to make border runs every 90 days until you extend at immigration. The reason he said it was for retirement is that was the basis for issue (you are retired and presented such paperwork) rather than the more normal spouse visit where you use a marriage certificate as basis.

The one year retirement visa is called O-A and is only issued in your country of residence.

I'm still in Penang as I write this, and I'm holding a computerized, full-page Thai visa that Mr. Manaff got me with no trouble.  It's multiple entry, one year, type O non immigrant.  I give Lopburi3 more credit, though, for pointing me to Penang.

Except at one point near the end, Mr. Manaff was professional.  Then he played a practical joke and almost gave me a heart attack!  I gave him the following, late Sunday:

a. proof of over 200,000 in a Thai bank (my recent passbook and ATM slip)

b. proof of pension of over 65,000 baht, from my embassy.

c. proof of age (well over 55)

d. my passport (I hate to give that up, but he brought it right back).

I didn't pressure him to get it back to me by noon Tuesday, because the consulate was closed for holidays 3 days last week.  Mr. Manaff really appreciated that.

Manaff said my O was in fact a retirement visa.  But it just says O and M.  Can it be a retirement visa for one year?  Houston offered me that in April (but I would have misplaced it, anyway).  I will take it into the new full time office in Hua Hin and ask them if it needs to be converted to a retirement visa, or wait until next year. 

The difference being: if it were a retirement visa, I should not have to do 90 day runs to the border, should I? 

Regardless, Manaff was very good, so if you don't know a better agent in Penang, you can call him.  He was prompt and punctual.

PS - I stayed at the Oriental Hotel at 105 Penang Road, where I was only charged 75 ringit; not bad.  Prices here are higher than Thailand, maybe 20%, but at least almost everybody speaks some fair English.

Congrats on your successful visa expedition... :o

but for crying out loud, you left out the most important piece of information, Peace...

what was the practical joke?? :D:D

I guess we can share Mr. Manaff's practical joke, so if he plays it on you, you won't be in the cardiac ICU.  He came back from the consulate and with a straight face, said "Oh, you were rejected for a visa because your name is the same as a wanted criminal."

HOLY CRAP! :D ... what a horrendous thing to say... :D

I can't imagine my own reaction :D

sounds like an OK, right funny guy... :D

I'd spend all my remaining time there thinking of a payback :D:o

The one year retirement visa is called O-A and is only issued in your country of residence.

I must have a fake O-A issued at Suan Phlu in 2002. :o

Extensions of stay or visa changes are done at Suan Phlu (or approvals for O-A). But the visa is designed to be issued by a Consulate with (A) approval of immigration for a one year stay on entry. What exactly is the wording (don't want you to post any personal details) in your passport and did you apply/receive inside Thailand?

This visa category has been a bear to define from day one and 2002 sounds like it may have been early on - don't believe it could happen today(?). :D

Can anyone tell me how much a single entry

non O visa will cost me in Penang?

Got to go in a few days.

Thanks for all the info!

This information is provided by the Consulate:

Consular hrs: 09.00-12.00 hrs. For submitting visa application

14.00-16.00 hrs (of the next working day) for collecting visa

Visa Fees: Non-Immigrant RM200.00-single entry

RM500.00- Multiple entries within 12 months validity.

Tourist Visa-RM100.00 per entry,

Transit Visa RM80.00 per entry

Hope that helps

Good trip!

WebFact

When you say “one year non-o visa”, do you mean a multiple-entry non-O visa, valid for an unlimited number of entries within one year from the date of issue of the visa, requiring departure from Thailand at least once every 90 days?

reply:- YES

In other words, in Penang, the consulate wants you to be both over 55 years old and married to a Thai national. Interesting.

Reply:- NO I am not married. This was an extract from a much longer dociment.

It is only a guide. I think that it means either or. I am not a legal expert.

Unless one needs to travel frequently outside Thailand anyway, wouldn’t it be better to get a single-entry non-O for the purpose of visiting family and friends and then in Thailand apply for a one-year extension for the purpose of supporting Thai wife? That’s what I plan to do when the time comes.

Really? All these requirements also for a tourist visa, for a single-entry non-O for the purpose of visiting family and friends? Not according to everything else I’ve read in this forum.

I don't know. You know more than me.

• 1 month later...

Dear Mr Moderator (if there is one),

Please can you remove these posts by Xakero.

The tone is offensive.

They add nothing to the discussion.

I have already emailed him or her to this effect.

People come here looking for information,

not a barrage of negative comments.

Jobsworth