Macbeth

citylife

Macbeth

10th – 12th December

@ HB7 Auditorium, 8th floor Faculty of humanities CMU

084 501 7098

The faculty of humanities Chiang Mai University in cooperation with the English club present “Macbeth written by William Shakespeare”

Ticket costs 60 baht and for student costs 50 baht. The shows start at 7 p.m. on 10th Dec, 1.30 and 7.00 p.m. on 11th December and 7 p.m. on 12th December.

Seriously? MacBeth? With this country's lese majeste laws?

Good luck....ph34r.gif

Given that, it IS an odd selection for presentration here. Anyhow, has anyone attended? If so, how was it? Thinking about taking my kids tonight.

In the programme notes accompanying a ticket to this play, a quote from an assistant professor involved with the project says

What perfect timing for "the play"! Look around us and you'll understand what I mean.

If your kids are well familiar with the plot then it could be worthwhile. The actors have taken on a massively ambitious task but with the energy they invest in the roles they generally pull it off in terms of acting. However, quite often their words are incomprehensible due to the twin difficulties of heavy Thai accent plus original olde English language.

There is a helpful synopsis of the plot (in English) given out with the tickets and overall I'd say it's worth a look as long as you don't mind going through the odd period of incomprehension, which to both Shakespeare-goers and expats in Thailand shouldn't be a totally unfamiliar experience.

By the way, there are no refreshments available anywhere near the site, so bring your own if needed.

Edited by hanuman1