Obama mourns the passing of Elizabeth Edwards

News_Editor

Obama mourns the passing of Elizabeth Edwards

2010-12-08 13:54:59 GMT+7 (ICT)

WASHINGTON, D.C. (BNO NEWS) -- President Barack Obama and his wife are mourning the death of Elizabeth Edwards, the estranged wife of former U.S. Senator and presidential candidate John Edwards, who died after a six-year battle with cancer on Tuesday.

"Michelle and I were deeply saddened to learn of the passing of Elizabeth Edwards," Obama said in a statement, saying that he spoke with John Edwards and their daughter Cate to offer the Obama's family condolences.

Obama said he came to 'know and admire' Elizabeth Edwards over the course of the presidential campaign. "She was a tenacious advocate for fixing our health care system and fighting poverty, and our country has benefited from the voice she gave to the cause of building a society that lifts up all those left behind," he said.

He added: "In her life, Elizabeth Edwards knew tragedy and pain. Many others would have turned inward; many others in the face of such adversity would have given up. But through all that she endured, Elizabeth revealed a kind of fortitude and grace that will long remain a source of inspiration. Our thoughts and prayers are with her family and friends."

Elizabeth Edwards passed away on Tuesday while surrounded by her family and friends, bringing to an end her six-year battle with breast cancer. "Today we have lost the comfort of Elizabeth's presence but she remains the heart of this family," her family said in a statement. "We love her and will never know anyone more inspiring or full of life."

"On behalf of Elizabeth we want to express our gratitude to the thousands of kindred spirits who moved and inspired her along the way. Your support and prayers touched our entire family."

Edwards, an accomplished lawyer, teacher, and business owner, was first diagnosed with cancer during the 2004 presidential campaign when her husband, then-U.S. Sen. John Edwards, was the Democratic nominee for vice president.

Having gone into remission, the cancer came back while John Edwards was running for president four years later. But during the campaign, however, word emerged that he was having an extramarital affair with former actress and film producer Rielle Hunter.

As soon as Elizabeth learned of the affair, she told John to end the presidential campaign to protect their family, but she stood by his side until he dropped out of the presidential race on January 30, 2008. He later endorsed Obama, who eventually won the race to the presidency.

"You all know that I have been sustained throughout my life by three saving graces - my family, my friends, and a faith in the power of resilience and hope," Edwards wrote on Facebook last week.

"These graces have carried me through difficult times and they have brought more joy to the good times than I ever could have imagined. The days of our lives, for all of us, are numbered. We know that. And, yes, there are certainly times when we aren't able to muster as much strength and patience as we would like. It's called being human."

"But I have found that in the simple act of living with hope, and in the daily effort to have a positive impact in the world, the days I do have are made all the more meaningful and precious. And for that I am grateful. It isn't possible to put into words the love and gratitude I feel to everyone who has and continues to support and inspire me every day. To you I simply say: you know."

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2010-12-08