Farang Uniform

PETERTHEEATER

I dress clean/conservative but whatever YOU choose to wear, up2u as they say, but PLEASE do at least wear "pit stick" or you'll make me and everyone around you....  :o

B&S, I go along with conservative dress for work: shorts are for social wear only. Also, please forgive my ignorance, but what is 'pit stick?'

Now I understand why the Aussies call us Brits 'soap dodgers' :D

Just apply a little imagination ... :D

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My usual daily attire is rubber boots up to the knee, long faded (from age, not the fashion fade type) blue pants (Thai style with draw string), and grubby stained t-shirt. If you wear anything nicer the crabs in the rice paddy just laugh at you.

My usual daily attire is rubber boots up to the knee, long faded (from age, not the fashion fade type) blue pants (Thai style with draw string), and grubby stained t-shirt.  If you wear anything nicer the crabs in the rice paddy just laugh at you.

Sounds like my wife's night time attire :D Who mentioned crabs? :o

No argument frm me neat and tidy as the ship goes - but Guys you are not only battling the yobo but also the generation Gap Last week visiting Khon Kaen got out of the lift/elevator and there in the lobby was an elderly Thai couple with either the last of their offspring or their chidrens offspring two beautiful young (19?) thai girls.

Both girls well dressed jeans etc one had a T shirt emblazoned with "I like to Fukc" Beimg a caring farang I spoke quitely and asked did she understand what was written on her T shirt she very nicely smiled and said yes but the rude meaning is spelt differently!

I smiled and went on my way thinking i must be getting old.

As long as they are clean and not sleeveless why shouldn't a tourist dress as if they are on vacation? I can understand certain restaurants and buildings being off limits to flip flops, hairy shoulders, and pineapple print shorts but the rest is vacation time.

I agree with most of what you say, although I belive a pair of nice shorts are OK in some public areas, such as when going shopping at Tescos, the local market, etc. Down in the city center though, I would always wear long trousers and a shirt or polo shirt. For work, it is shirt & tie.

When staying is Sukhumvit, I found it amusing/embarrasing to watch punters with their girlfriend of the night the next morning. The women were often (but certainly not always) nicely dressed in their evening wear (skirts, high heels, etc), and the guys in sandals, old T-shirt and washed-out shorts. bah.gif These women should demand double payment for being seen in daylight with such characters.... biggrin.gif

"you want to have breakfast with me?

"OK - but that will be another 2000 baht.....3000 if we are walking more than one block" laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

:o . The girls are deffo not always nicely dressed. Some give off the slutty bar girl look but some look really nicely dressed and groomed. Thats why when I'm going out at night if I'm wearing jeans I wear a top with a bit of cleavage but if I'm wearing a nice skirt showing my legs I wear a top that covers my cleavage so I don't show off all of my body looking like I've walked off soi two. :D

Oh <deleted> makes great perfume prob have some <deleted> t-shirts lurking around somewhere.

Ah! Bang, I obviously touched your niggle spot!

I agree that people should wear what they like but sometimes surroundings dictate dress. If you feel more comfortable in a T-shirt and shorts then no doubt that's what you wear when you are a guest at a wedding in your own country?

It's difficult not to stereotype Western tourists because 98% of those I see day to day are wearing the uniform. And that's in the city (BKK).

Sorry for being old fashioned but, shouldn't you wear what you feel comfortable in?

Ok sometimes I wear a vest or what ever in and around the local market. But I always wear shorts and flip flops. To bloody hot for shoes and socks!! Although I must admit I never wear a vest to a shopping mall, usually a T-shirt polo shirt or normal shirt. The only time I wear jeans is if I am going out clubbing. I think you are steriotyping your own countrymen. There are the odd few people that look like full on tourists but the comment "up to them" springs to mind. If you dont feel comfortable wearing this atire then surley its up to you. But why stick your nose up in the air at people who dont care how you or anyone else looks at them. Should they care? What makes you so special that you decide what is good enough to wear in certain places.

Bang......

Today in Fashion Island (BKK shopping centre) I passed a young lady wearing a T-shirt bearing (on the front) the caption '<deleted>> off you ######' I suppressed a laugh and she smiled inquisitively (probably thought the farang grandpa was flirting) on the reverse was the caption 'Time to take a dump'

Viva the freedom of speech!

No argument frm me neat and tidy as the ship goes - but Guys you are not only battling the yobo but also the generation Gap Last week visiting Khon Kaen got out of the lift/elevator and there in the lobby was an elderly Thai couple with either the last of their offspring or their chidrens offspring two beautiful young (19?) thai girls.

Both girls well dressed jeans etc one had a T shirt emblazoned with "I like to Fukc" Beimg a caring farang I spoke quitely and asked did she understand what was written on her T shirt she very nicely smiled and said yes but the rude meaning is spelt differently!

I smiled and went on my way thinking i must be getting old.

Tut! Tut! Ice. You know about Soi 2?

:o . The girls are deffo not always nicely dressed. Some give off the slutty bar girl look but some look really nicely dressed and groomed. Thats why when I'm going out at night if I'm wearing jeans I wear a top with a bit of cleavage but if I'm wearing a nice skirt showing my legs I wear a top that covers my cleavage so I don't show off all of my body looking like I've walked off soi two. :D

Oh <deleted> makes great perfume prob have some <deleted> t-shirts lurking around somewhere.

Ouch! You are correct about behaviour being the key to respect. I too have been to many Thai social events smartly addressed only to find everyone else in jeans and rugby shirts but then I blame that on my (Thai) wife who fails to gauge the dress requirements correctly in advance!

Are we talking about mode of attire or cleanliness, here? I wouldn't dream of going out in dirty clothes, or be unwashed or unshaven, but I wear shorts nearly all the time, as do the majority of my friends, Thai and farang.

My dad would never wear an open-necked shirt without a cravat. That was typical of his generation. I was recently invited to the memorial service for the late father of a Thai friend. I put on decent trousers, shirt and shoes, and when I got there I got the p!ss ripped out of me by the family, who were in shorts and a colourful variety of English football club shirts.

I am not knocking your views on attire, but simply pointing out that informality does not automatically equal sloppiness, lack of self-respect or respect fro others, or being a slob. Behavious does that.

Some give off the slutty bar girl look

What's that then? Is it the mini-skirt and mini-top etc? I quite like the normal look of most Thai girls (if this is actually normal) i.e. jeans/top caual.

Yeash. The normal look of Thai girls is great, it dosen't really differ from England I guess. Jeans and t-shirts. But when they wear clothes which might aswell be classed as lingerie I don't believe it gives off a terrible look making people judge them before they know them. Because I know lovely Thai girls that dress like that But I guess they have a job to do :D .

Saraburioz - :o

I dress clean/conservative but whatever YOU choose to wear, up2u as they say, but PLEASE do at least wear "pit stick" or you'll make me and everyone around you....  :o

B&S, I go along with conservative dress for work: shorts are for social wear only. Also, please forgive my ignorance, but what is 'pit stick?'

Errrr, yeah. Sorry, sharp as a bloody marble, as usual.

Some give off the slutty bar girl look

What's that then? Is it the mini-skirt and mini-top etc? I quite like the normal look of most Thai girls (if this is actually normal) i.e. jeans/top caual.

Yeash. The normal look of Thai girls is great, it dosen't really differ from England I guess. Jeans and t-shirts. But when they wear clothes which might aswell be classed as lingerie I believe it gives off a terrible look making people judge them before they know them. Because I know lovely Thai girls that dress like that But I guess they have a job to do :D .

Saraburioz - :o

I dress clean/conservative but whatever YOU choose to wear, up2u as they say, but PLEASE do at least wear "pit stick" or you'll make me and everyone around you....  :D

Errrr, yeah. Sorry, sharp as a bloody marble, as usual.

:D that saying applies to myself alot as well! :D

For anyone who's left guessing, I meant underarm deodorant :o

On my first trip to LOS I took loads of pairs of slacks, shirts with long sleeves and collars, a few ties, socks, lace up shoes and, of all things, a linen jacket. Hardly any t-shirts or shorts. Boy, was it hot in BKK! All that was missing was a pith helmet. Now I wear short sleeves in the evening and, depending on where we go, maybe a t-shirt during the day. Sandals (not Roman) but no socks most of the time unless we are heading to a decent restaurant. Also, I now have Thai-style slip-on shoes to speed up my entry to and egress from homes and wats. I wear 'smart' shorts during the daytime if we are just mooching about. I don't like shiny footy shorts where your bits are held in by a string bag or those funny baggy things that look as though they should reach the feet but stop for no apparent reason just below the knee. I just wouldn't look right in tbem but very few guys do. I do like to see the farang dressed Majorca style though because I can turn to her who must be obeyed and whisper, 'Darling, you are very lucky'.

Most of us spend much of our lives dressed 'for the occasion' or to please others so why not please ourselves in a hot climate when we're not working? The only proviso, I think is to always respect the local culture because it's so important to the Thais. The Majorca style stands out as looking a bit odd because it's relatively uncommon but not so funny as those Thai tops with slogans in English that the wearer obviously doesn't understand.

Interesting thread.

I feel though, in naming our preferences, we forget what every Italian or Frenchman receives via their Mother’s milk: it is not what you wear but how you wear it. And, most importantly, the body upon which it is worn.

Englishmen, outside of school uniforms and business suits, have absolutely no dress sense at all – regardless of class. Either wearing apparel that is too tight, too short, too bland, too colourful or too hot for their public appearances, regardless of the climate or their desire to – rarely as a consequence – impress.

Shorts are chosen regardless of size of backside or length of legs – not to talk about knobbly ness of knees. Colours rarely reflect or complement skin toning; artificial fabrics are often chosen because price is considered more important than the body’s need to ventilate in warm climates; socks are worn with sandals using the logical error that they disguise sight and smell despite the fact they increase the temperature and rate of sweat in the foot a hundred fold; enormous bellies are rarely disguised as they are pressed into last years cheap copy of a football shirt (someone ought to also tell the English that the only attractive navel is to be found on a 17 year old girl).

The whole point is there are several factors, completely ignored by the English (and most offshoots of the Anglo Saxon race) when dressing for public appearance. Here are five of them:

1. Cleanliness. Special Note for the English: There is absolutely no kudos to be gained by wearing any article of clothing for more than one day.

2. Choose you clothes by the shape of your body. Special Note for the English: This does not mean if you are fat the clothes must be tight in order to show you once were thinner. It means: fat people = loose clothes.

3. Always iron you cloths before going out. Special Note for the English: A wrinkled shirt does not give the impression of a busy man, but more of a sloppy jerk.

4. Never buy cheap clothes. Special Note for the English: A shirt bought for £5 on Birkenhead market, no matter how many times you wash or iron it, will always look like a shirt from Birkenhead market. Better to own two expensive and well cut shirts than 20 cheapoes (NB. Shirts made to fit in silk, are more pleasant to wear, than polymer sweatshirts which do no more than channel rivers of sweat into your undies) (NB Again: Thailand is one of the best countries in the world to improve your wardrobe)

5. A good and well cut coat can covers a multitude of sins. Special Note for the English: This does not mean a woollen overcoat from M&S but rather a cashmere or silken jacket, cut to fit you and with a colouring that suits your skin and hair.

Edited by Thomas_Merton

the only attractive navel is to be found on a 16 year old girl).

...and if that isnt a cue for Ice Maiden to post a photo, I don't know what is (well done Thomas),

Thomas is frequently seen wafting around Sukhothai wearing a Muu Muu or a kaftan, looking like Demis Roussos.

...and if that isnt a cue for Ice Maiden to post a photo, I don't know what is (well done Thomas),

Thomas is frequently seen wafting around Sukhothai wearing a Muu Muu or a kaftan, looking like Demis Roussos.

.... I'm 17 not 16

...thank God, it's not too late to edit.

.... I'm 17 not 16

...thank God, it's not too late to edit.

Still not posting a photo though :o besides I think I already have before.

Thomas Merton: Brilliant Post!

I always wear long trousers, black shoes (sometimes trianers when I'm out in Pattaya..but that's rather an exception) and tailor-made shirts (cheaper than the stuff from Robinson's and fitting...)

AND THUS YOU AVOID LOOKING LIKE A FRICKIN' TOURIST!!!!!!!!!!!