Please Urgent Help Needed With Travel

I need information regarding my partner visiting the uk with our child.

I am a UK citizen and my partner is a Thailand citizen and we have been in a relationship for approximately 2 years. I have searched for advice on various forums and am extremely worried about making a mistake on an application form that may be interpreted as a deliberate lie.

My situation is as follows.

I am travelling to Thailand on the 16/12/10 to visit my partner & son, i am anticipating returning to the uk on or around 15/02/11 and i wish to bring my partner & son over to the UK for maximum of 6 months. My son will have UK passport at this point but my partner will not. Should my partner complete a visitor’s visa and apply as a visitor or family member? Periods of our relationship have been spent apart obviously because i have to return to the UK to work and the forms have me confused as to our actual status....

We are together in a relationship...

We have not spent more than six months living together because of my work commitments in the UK.

We have an 11 month old child together (with DNA test proving that the child is mine)

We are not married but we intend to get married within the next 24 months.

Phone records for the past six months

Financial evidence for last six months, but older records are available.

Passport & visa evidence for time spent in Thailand

Picture evidence of our relationship.

Financial independence for my partner & sons departure

Written evidence from professional witnesses testament to our relationship

Hope you can help with our dilemma

Thanks

Thanks for the reply,

but on her application form should she say shes visiting family, friends or partner?

i would be grateful for any help and advise anyone can offer with a visitors visa and child passport

thanks,

A confused member :(

• 2 weeks later...

She is visiting her husband , ie family and partner. All Visas are taken on there own merrit, just prove that she will return to Thailand after her stay in the UK,You seem to have have all the right docs, Just put in your sponcers letter what she is actualy doing, visiting England to meet your family, And to see if she can cope with the English life style.And if she does then you will take the next step in your relationship and apply for a settlement visa after she has returned to Thailand.

For the avoidance of doubt the baby goes out of Thailand on its Thai passport (get one) and comes into the UK on its British passport. No visas needed at either border that way.

Here's a redacted version of my last sponsor's letter. Not exactly your circumstances but may give you confidence about writing a letter that covers off your concerns.

my address and phone numbers

<br style="" clear="ALL"> British Embassy

Bangkok

8 June 2009

Dear Sir/Madam

Ms [partner's name] – Letter of Invitation

I write in connection with [partner’s] application for a visa to visit the United Kingdom. I am willing and able to act as Ms [partner] financial sponsor for her visit.

Ms [partner] is my fiance. I met her in June 2006 and have made frequent visits to Thailand to stay with her and her family. We have been having a house constructed in Thailand for our joint occupation and this will shortly be completed. In April we learned that we will be blessed with a child around December this year and we then determined that we will marry. The wedding is planned to take place in Thailand in early July, prior to a planned visit to the UK*. We will mostly be touring in the UK and hopefully in mainland Europe if a Schengen visa can be obtained in time.

We have travelled together in Thailand, Laos and Hong Kong. We also visited the UK in July last year for one month. I assume that you do not need evidence of the relationship given that visit last year and the evidence provided at that time. This can of course be supplied again if needed.

I have been providing financial support to Ms Suku for the last 18 months – more recently in the amount of x baht per month. In 2007 I retired from full-time working in London as [job description - this bit was not realy necessary but I wanted to paint a picture of financial stability!] and I have substantial financial resources to continue to support Ms [partner] . I confirm that I shall be paying all expenses of her visit including flight costs and expenses while she is visiting the UK. The visa application includes documents that evidence my net wealth, which approximates £x.

When our visit to the UK ends we will return together to Thailand to live in our new home. We have no current intentions to settle in the UK (though we do not rule that out for the future). For family reasons – I am the financial representative for my aged father and aunt - I will maintain my rented accommodation in the UK and will be a frequent returner to the UK.

Yours faithfully

* By the time we travel together to the UK we expect to be married. This visa application is made while we are still unmarried (and I am not [partner] family as defined in your guidance notes). The timing of the wedding and our need to visit the UK does not allow time for an application to be made once we are married – this trip is akin to a honeymoon. Ms [partner] will not change her name or her passport to reflect the marriage until after our trip to the UK. If this is an incorrect procedure please advise on an appropriate course of action.