Fans gather in NYC to honor John Lennon 30 years after his death

News_Editor

Fans gather in NYC to honor John Lennon 30 years after his death

2010-12-09 08:03:10 GMT+7 (ICT)

NEW YORK (BNO NEWS) -- Fans in New York City on Wednesday gathered to remember legendary music icon John Lennon 30 years after his murder.

Despite low temperatures, a large group of fans gathered in Central Park's Strawberry Fields, which is also known as the "Imagine" mosaic and was created in honor of Lennon.

The so-called Mayor of Strawberry Fields, Aryton "Gary" dos Santos, who has been laying fresh flowers every day for the past 17 years at the site, lit two candles on the black and white mosaic in front of the crowd.

"It is a sad day," dos Santos said. "It will always be a sad day. I will keep doing this for John until the day I die."

The memorial site is located near the Dakota building where Lennon lived with Yoko Ono and their son Sean until his death. On December 8, 1980, Lennon was returning to his apartment, but he was intercepted by Mark Chapman who shot him to death at the age of 40.

Ironically, in a recently discovered tape, which is considered to be Lennon's last interview, the British musician is heard saying he does not want to be a "dead hero."

"What they want is dead heroes, like Sid Vicious and James Dean," Lennon says during the nine-hour interview on December 5, 1980. "I'm not interested in being a dead f---ing hero ... so forget 'em, forget 'em."

"Give peace a chance, not shoot people for peace," Lennon is heard saying in a different moment. "All you need is love, I believe that. I'm not claiming divinity. I've never claimed divinity. I've never claimed purity of soul. I've never claimed to have the answer to life. I can't live up to people's expectations of me, because they are illusory."

Lennon later talks about fate, saying that we "always have a choice, but how much of it is preordained? It's very strange sometimes. And that's a good ending."

Chapman is currently serving a prison term of 20 years to life.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2010-12-09