Anyone Know Of Khonburi Near Korat?

mayacan

My girlfriend is from Khonburi, I think somewhere west of Korat. Anyone know of this place? Is it a very small town? Is it a farming town? What kind of town is it? How far is it from Korat?

I'm thinking of leaving my teaching job of some 14 years here in Los Angeles to come to work and live with her. Are there any quality schools or universities that I could work at and make a decent salary? I'm 48years old and very happy at my present school where I'm also the head basketball coach there too, so am I crazy to even be thinking about such a change in my life right now?

I would appreciate any information on Khonburi and teaching opportunities in Korat.

My girlfriend is from Khonburi, I think somewhere west of Korat. Anyone know of this place? Is it a very small town? Is it a farming town? What kind of town is it? How far is it from Korat?

I'm thinking of leaving my teaching job of some 14 years here in Los Angeles to come to work and live with her. Are there any quality schools or universities that I could work at and make a decent salary? I'm 48years old and very happy at my present school where I'm also the head basketball coach there too, so am I crazy to even be thinking about such a change in my life right now?

I would appreciate any information on Khonburi and teaching opportunities in Korat.

Khon Buri is not far from Pak Thon Chai where we are building a house. It's just a little way south of Korat town - abput 45 minites by car. I don't know Khon Buri itself but it's probably a market town in a farming area. Korat town is big and will have all that you need in the way of shopping. There are plenty of schools but do you speak Thai. Private English lesson in Korat town might go down well but don't expect to make a fortune.

Don't take advice from others about what it's like to live in that area. Go there yourself, have a look around, get to know people. I like the Korat area very much but I have had to get to know and accept the local ways. It's a good way to find out whether you're crazy or not! In any case, if you're thinking of teaming up with your girlfriend, get to know the family because you will be part of it.

If you want to hedge your bets and own a house in LA, keep it. Rent it out if you have to but don't sell it.

If you would like me to try for more information, send a PM and I'll ask my wife.

Of course you need to find out for yourself if you would like life in Thailand.

You ask about if there are quality schools there. Probably not. Compared to schools in California I think that very very few schools in Thailand would be considered 'quality'. I suppose there are some but be advised that Thai schools are of a very low calibre when compared to schools in California.

You ask about a decent salary. I'm going to guess that 50,000 baht per month is ballpark of what you could expect to make teaching in Thaland unless you have some specialty that is in demand. That comes to about 1,250 US dollars per month. You will be able to live very comfortably in Thailand on this amount of money but you won't be able to save much/anything. You need to decide if this represents a 'good salary'.

Sounds like you like to coach basketball. There are some people who play basketball in Thailand but their skill level and dedication overall is much lower than you probably find in California. This might not matter to you or it might be a real disappointment.

Thailand is a great place and I love it here...you might too...don't burn any bridges.

50,000 Baht per month teaching in Korat??????......You've got to be kidding! I lived in Korat and trust me you will NOT find a teaching position that pays anything close to that figure....maybe 30,000 if you hit pay dirt! and that would be a stroke of luck. There are a few English schools in town and they always seem to be looking for new help....

50,000 Baht per month teaching in Korat??????......You've got to be kidding! I lived in Korat and trust me you will NOT find a teaching position that pays anything close to that figure....maybe 30,000 if you hit pay dirt! and that would be a stroke of luck. There are a few English schools in town and they always seem to be looking for new help....

As a teacher in the Korat area you would start on about $500 a month working over time to about $750. If you wanted to earn more you would have to go to one of the big international schools in Bangkok. Most teachers in Thailand are not qualified teachers thay are just native speakers. Korat schools do not have the budjet for large salary's

Assuming you can produce paper qualifications, try Suranaree University ( google for it) who should have some reasobale jobs for foreigners.

Roger in Surin

Hey, thanks for all of your input. It's all been very helpful and informative. If I do make any kind of move it won't be at least a year, maybe two. In the mean time I do plan to visit Thailand next spring (April) and at least one time after that. I have to check the teaching situation and the GF situation as well.....

As far as paper qualifications, I have a BS degree, a California teaching credential, one year teaching in Koea, and all of my years teaching at the high school level here in Los Angeles with solid letter of rec's

Roger, is Suranaree Uni. in Korat?