Chillout Country Spots Around Chiang Mai

greytown

Greetings all. I am currently in Chiang Mai for a two month stay and I'm looking to get out of the city and relax. What I have in mind is something that would be a short drive outside the city where one can spend a lazy afternoon and ideally with a good place to eat in the area. I'd like to avoid the obvious touristy destinations and hopefully find a few places where to get a taste of Thai country life.

I will definitely head to Doi Suthep and Doi Inthanon though I'm sure these are well touristy. The elephant camp doesn't really interest me.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Edited by greytown

Browse through the GT Rider forum, Northern Thailand threads, many many reports of fantastic spots close to the city yet nice places to get away.

Many spots to chill by a waterfall or have a bbq on a quiet mountain veiw point, within half hour to two hours driving time. For example the little valley between Doi Kham and the Samoeng road is close enough to bicycle to, yet completely devoid of mini bus mayhem you find on the Samoeng road.

If you visit Doi Inthanon, take the back route and be sure to visit Mae Cheam (which they call the Pai of twenty years ago, but I wouldn't know). One of the most scenic valleys in the NW imo.

About 40 minutes to one hour north of Chiang Mai, about 10-15 minutes past Mae Sa Elephant camp is a place called Mon Jam, or Mon Cham as the signs say. Perched high above Chiang Mai with spectacular views of mountain ranges and valleys, it is truly a sight. There is a restaurant there serving pretty good food. Be sure to take warm clothes - get's a bit nippy in the late afternoon/evening.

Check out CityLife magazine October 2010 issue - http://www.chiangmainews.com/ecmn/viewfa.php?id=2987

I would suggest the cave in Chiang Dao, Doi Angkhan, Phrao, Khun Tan national park, the hot springs on hiway 118, Pai (the drive, not the town), Phayao (lake) Charin Resort (great pies and such) Km 142 on hiway 118.. Many beautiful drives around Chiang Mai. :)

Be aware that we are into the 2nd long weekend in a row and that most public places will be poluted with tourists. If you want to get away quick, then drive up hw #118 towards Chiang rai and lots of places along the river going north.

If you are here for a while,then I would suggest a wait till this weekend is over.

If you have your own wheels, try Huay Tung Thao, north along the canal road, or Wat Umong, and the nature reserve right next door to the Wat. From the intersection at Huay Kaew and Superhighway, the lake (Huay Tung Thao) is about a 30 to 40 minute bike ride, Wat Umong about half that. PM if you want more detailed info.

About 40 minutes to one hour north of Chiang Mai, about 10-15 minutes past Mae Sa Elephant camp is a place called Mon Jam, or Mon Cham as the signs say. Perched high above Chiang Mai with spectacular views of mountain ranges and valleys, it is truly a sight. There is a restaurant there serving pretty good food. Be sure to take warm clothes - get's a bit nippy in the late afternoon/evening.

Check out CityLife magazine October 2010 issue - http://www.chiangmainews.com/ecmn/viewfa.php?id=2987

The citylife website photos don't do it justice. Even when its not bank holiday it seems to be fully booked. Their 20 tents are all nicely spaced out on spaces carved into the mountain, so every one gets good views. If its full there is another nice resort about 5 mins drive back down the mountain - an expensive places made from converted rice barns.

The citylife website photos don't do it justice. Even when its not bank holiday it seems to be fully booked. Their 20 tents are all nicely spaced out on spaces carved into the mountain, so every one gets good views. If its full there is another nice resort about 5 mins drive back down the mountain - an expensive places made from converted rice barns.

This place looks exactly like what I had in mind. Provided it's not too packed with people it sounds about perfect. I'm not sure I understand the thing about the tents. Are those only for people who want to camp there overnight? Do you need to book ahead for the restaurant and to access the grounds? The citylife link to the official site is in Thai. I will aim for a weekday visit.

There are many similar spots (visited Mae Jam, not stayed, tis nice), and the ones not advertised can be empty on busy weekends! No, that's not Doi Inthanon on a holiday.

National parks provide accommodation commonly, and it sounds like it would fit you requirements. Anything from tents to multi bedroom air con houses. I can't remember the name of those hot spring, on the road headed to Pai, but the two bedroom, air con bungalow we rented was fantastic - as quiet as Pai is busy. Even on, non-holiday, a weekend stay at the campground at Doi Pui above Doi Suthep the campground was empty but for one other family. We have never pre booked and always got the accommodation of our choosing in a national park - it's seems to be a unappreciated choice with all the full service accommodation choices available. List of National Parks.

A Queen's project, and orchid garden, in the wonderful valley behind Doi Inthanon,

IMGP2298.JPG

One of the Barney rubble houses in that garden,

100_2820.JPG

Was a nice place first thing in the morning, and we had to to ourselves but for the lady that came to cook us breakfast at the little lodge pictured just to the right in the first pic.

100_2819.JPG

Camping by the river on a busy weekend, near Mae Sarieng though,

100_3275.JPG

If you have your own wheels, try Huay Tung Thao, north along the canal road, or Wat Umong, and the nature reserve right next door to the Wat. From the intersection at Huay Kaew and Superhighway, the lake (Huay Tung Thao) is about a 30 to 40 minute bike ride, Wat Umong about half that. PM if you want more detailed info.

I agree with Huay Tung Thao. It's easy to get to and has a mixture of things to do... swimming, walking and eating. It is an easy 4 km walk around the lake, and has many places to stop for a drink or a meal.

Huay_Tung_Thao_10.jpg

Huay_Tung_Thao_8.jpg

I also like the trail that leads up to the top of Doi Suthep. it follows a tiny creek that tumbles off the mountain in a series of waterfalls for 9 km. You can start or stop at many places along the trail, unless you choose to hike up the final 4 km on a steep trail. The trail arrives ABOVE the temple where most tourists stop. If you don't like hiking up hill you can always get a red bus to the top and hike back down. E-mail me if you want directions.

Doi_Suthep_trail_042.jpg

DoiSuthep_005.sized.jpg

There is a nice restaurant at the base of the mountain, just past the zoo entrance.

Doi_Suthep_trail_059.jpg

Thanks Ian for the info. Sounds good. I would probably go to the top and then hike down. I saw the red buses that say Doi Suthep as the destination. Do any of those buses go to the top as you say? I haven't used the buses yet so I'm not sure how they operate. What's the bus fare?

Nice luck, that restaurant was packed the few times we've gone there. Nice location for sure.

Good to see your still with us Ian!

A lot depends on the time you visit, Michael and I got there before the evening rush and after lunch hour.

Yup, as long as I'm vertical or horizontal by choice, life is good. It's still one of my favourite places in Chiang Mai.

Barcelona_off_cliff.jpg

Jom.jpg

Thanks Ian for the info. Sounds good. I would probably go to the top and then hike down. I saw the red buses that say Doi Suthep as the destination. Do any of those buses go to the top as you say? I haven't used the buses yet so I'm not sure how they operate. What's the bus fare?

I don't know if the red busses go to the top or not. The trail starts above the temple and goes down near where there are buildings and residences. The trail starts down to the right of where Michael is standing. Behind, and to the left of Michael is the little trail that leads down to the temple. It starts right behind a small cafe where you first walk up the steps to the temple. There are a series of steps up to where Michael is standing.

DoiSuthep_024.jpg

There is a sign that tells of a giant fig tree on a trail below. It is the same trail that takes you down the hill.

These are the above ground roots of the giant fig tree.

Fig_tree_2.jpg