Where To Get Laptop Battery

blyish

I have an ACER Aspire netbook. I've been having problems with the battery for some time but since yesterday it simply doesn't charge anymore. If I unplug the computer, it lasts about 5 seconds before the laptop turns itself off. So I need a new battery. I thought pretty much any computer store would carry batteries, but no. So where do I go? Hopefully somewhere with good prices too. The battery sells for $60 in the States but a small shop in Bangkok asked me for 3500 baht (and I would have had to wait for two weeks for it, since they had to special ordered it).

I would expect the laptop should run without the battery on mains power. So I think you may have more issues with the laptop than just the battery. See if you can try a battery in it before you buy or you may be wasting you money unless the laptop can be repaired. This could be a motherboard issue.

I would expect the laptop should run without the battery on mains power. So I think you may have more issues with the laptop than just the battery. See if you can try a battery in it before you buy or you may be wasting you money unless the laptop can be repaired. This could be a motherboard issue.

It runs fine if it's plugged in. I unplugged it again and it turned off in seconds. When I turned it on again, the little picture at the bottom of the screen (that one that tells you the laptop is plugged in and how much battery you have left) now has a red cross over it. If I hover my mouse over the cross, it reads "Fully Charged (100%). Consider replacing your battery" However, the actual picture of the battery looks empty, so the 100% charged thing is misleading.

Agree if that what it doing it is the battery just replace it.. Sorry misundestoood what you said in your first post.

It runs fine if it's plugged in. I unplugged it again and it turned off in seconds. When I turned it on again, the little picture at the bottom of the screen (that one that tells you the laptop is plugged in and how much battery you have left) now has a red cross over it. If I hover my mouse over the cross, it reads "Fully Charged (100%). Consider replacing your battery" However, the actual picture of the battery looks empty, so the 100% charged thing is misleading.

Yes Pantip is probably one of the best places to go, my battery died too a few months ago (Sony) so next time i am around i have to go for it as well....anybody else on the forum? maybe we can go for a bulk order and get a discount ah ah :lol:

in the 3 years I have replaced 2 batteries ( different machines ) and found Fortune Town easier and also cheaper, you can also have your old battery reconditioned ( they open and put new batteries inside for about 40% cost of new out of the box..

in the 3 years I have replaced 2 batteries ( different machines ) and found Fortune Town easier and also cheaper, you can also have your old battery reconditioned ( they open and put new batteries inside for about 40% cost of new out of the box..

Is it a good idea to recondition your battery? In other words, will it last? I don't want to have the same problem in a month or two. There must be a downside to recondition your old battery or nobody would buy a new one.

Is it a good idea to recondition your battery? In other words, will it last? I don't want to have the same problem in a month or two. There must be a downside to recondition your old battery or nobody would buy a new one.

Not necessarily so. Buying a new battery makes commercial sense to the manufacturer rather than re-conditioning.

Reconditioning carried out properly is good - but how do we know that it was carried out properly? Bit of a 'lucky dip' on this one. I have had reconditioned stuff that lasted for years, and I have had new stuff that lasted for months. (Fakes?)

"You pays your money and takes your chance."

There are various shops that will refurbish your own battery. There is a shop on the 3rd floor of Pattaya Tukcom that does this. I think Amorn (Tukcom and Fortune Town BKK) that stock the actual cells that go inside the battery. I have seen them split open laptop batteries and replace the individual cells, too. This is good for old/hard to find computers that you can not longer buy original batteries for.

For the more adventurous and poor folk you can try to do this yourself.

gb