Thai Govt Crackdown On Street People Planned

webfact

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a crock of sh*t. These people will end up handcuffed in local jails like the recent case of the Briton in Pattaya.

As of 2006, the most recent WHO report shows that;

- There are only 17 mental hospitals in Thailand providing 13.8 beds per 100,000 population. In the last five years the number of mental hospital beds has decreased by 7% (There has not been any significant increase in funding since the report was issued in 2006.)

- There is no provision for routine follow-up community care.

- No facility has mental heath mobile clinic teams.

- In terms of treatment, a few patients last year received one or more psychosocial interventions.

- There are no mental health day treatment facilities in Thailand, except the ones specifically for children with mental retardation or for people with substance abuse.

- There are 25 community-based psychiatric inpatient units in regional hospitals with 0.4 beds per 100,000 general population.

- Community residential facilities for patients being discharged from the hospitals do not exist.

Who will take care of these mentally ill people?

- 419 psychiatrists (0.66 per 100,000 population)

- 110 other medical doctors (not specialized in psychiatry but associated with mental health care); 0.17 per 100,000 population);

- 2406 nurses (3.81 per 100,000 population);

- 163 psychologists (0.26 per 100,000 population);

- 465 social workers (0.74 per 100,000 population) (Other reports cite 0.56)

- 125 occupational therapists (0.20 per 100,000 population

The numbers speak for themselves. The mentally ill will not be treated.

There will be no occupational therapy and the problem will continue.

That is the reality. Welcome to Thailand where people that should know better call the mentally ill nutcases.

Where did you get this information? I have been taking for over 20 years a very powerful drug that is also very addictive was only given to me after many tests in the US that is very restricted there so I will not go into convulsion and possible die and every doctor except one here thought it was a sleeping pill and it very easy to get a prescription here and as much as I want.In the US it is only subscribed by a psychiatrist. They all must be in Bangkok I live in Chiang Rai I have not found one yet.

All of you who are so amazed at Thailand's inability to take care of poor people and people with health problems need to spend a night walking around in Washington DC, or Chicago, or New York City.

Yet another utterly facile argument - what has that got to do with anything???

We all know that the US has the worst health care in the "Western" world but that does not justify Thailand's ineptness to supply proper healthcare for its citizens or others to criticise the government's failure or two faced approach.

nor expect too much of Thailand as in the US they voted in the governments who haven't achieved on the healthcare issues. Nothing wrong with making comparisons, it's the governments job to make them too and hopefully learn from others mistakes.

THere's a HUGE amount wrong with making these comparisons - they're fallacious and don't follow on form the argument - can't you see that?"I think his point is if a country as rich as the USA can't sort it out then we shouldn't be so judgmental " - well that's ridiculous loads of countries poorer than US have good healthcare and many others are gpoing in the rigt direction but simply comparing apples with oranges is completely off the mark

In 1980's Ronald Reagan closed just about all government run mental institutions. The US is full of street people suffering from mental illness . Many are military veterans. I am a Vietnam veterans myself and I am ashamed how my country does not give a dam_n for the grunts that where willing to give their lives.

According to DR.Duangta Kraiphasphong, a surge in blood sugar sometimes causes "diabetics to go on rampages and attack others in the public" . I was curious, having never heard of this phenonemon before, so I googled the words 'aggressive diabetic'......not one single search result.!!....No wonder the 'doctors' in this country don't want the medical malpractice bill to go through if a deputy director (DR Duangta) of an institute can't even get the symptoms for diabetes right. I feel so sorry for the Thai public.

This is truly awful and embarrassing (face?) My brother has diabetes and has never been 'on a rampage?!

This is simply yet another excuse to sweep the 'street people' under the carpet. Bit like when Taksin had is 5 mins in the spotlight at the ASEAN convention and ordered all cambodians/burmese be rounded up and put on army planes to be sent back to their country/ies.

The more I see/hear of Abbhisit, the less respect I have for yet another crap Thai 'Government'. They're ALL a joke.

What a crock of sh*t. These people will end up handcuffed in local jails like the recent case of the Briton in Pattaya.

- There are only 17 mental hospitals in Thailand providing 13.8 beds per 100,000 population. In the last five years the number of mental hospital beds has decreased by 7% (There has not been any significant increase in funding since the report was issued in 2006.)

- In terms of treatment, a few patients last year received one or more psychosocial interventions.

- There are no mental health day treatment facilities in Thailand, except the ones specifically for children with mental retardation or for people with substance abuse.

- There are 25 community-based psychiatric inpatient units in regional hospitals with 0.4 beds per 100,000 general population.

- Community residential facilities for patients being discharged from the hospitals do not exist.

- 110 other medical doctors (not specialized in psychiatry but associated with mental health care); 0.17 per 100,000 population);

That is the reality. Welcome to Thailand where people that should know better call the mentally ill nutcases.

I've just looked up the WHO report for 2006, but couldn't determine where you had obtained these stats.

Wanted to check against my home province of British Columbia in Canada where since 2001 a right-wing government has abandoned the mentally ill, forcing them on to the streets in large numbers.

I would like to be able to compare the BC figures with Thailand. The problem of begging and homelessness in Vancouver and Victoria has hit epidemic proportions....in one of the richest areas of the whole world. It is disgusting....and one thing I do notice in Thailand (compared to Vancouver/Victoria) is that the only people who beg (and they are very few) are the truly desperate (limbless or very old or single mothers).

Perhaps the family-oriented social system here in Thailand ensures that people are "taken care of" better than in the welfare states of the West?

The majority of those begging, particularly the limbless (amputees) or women with a baby in tow, are taken advantage of and planted by various thugs (the word 'mafia' has too many glamorous connotations). Just pop up to Cambodia (not Burma, forbidden) and you will see hordes of them. They receive a very small percentage of the daily 'take'.

However, I always put something in the cups of 'the wandering Issan singers'. Benefit of the doubt and all that. However give the amputees the body swerve. What? There must be many more 'cripples' here than seen on the local markets.

Adverse to encouraging this trade, much more prevalent in India (chop off a kid's limb) and Pakistan where they will select a newborn to be placed in a clay pot (imagine what that looks like after 5 years).

All of you who are so amazed at Thailand's inability to take care of poor people and people with health problems need to spend a night walking around in Washington DC, or Chicago, or New York City.

We all know that the US has the worst health care in the "Western" world but that does not justify Thailand's ineptness to supply proper healthcare for its citizens or others to criticise the government's failure or two faced approach.

Right! But only for the poor or working class in the US but for the rich it is the best MONEY CAN BUY.

Edited by hardy1943

nor expect too much of Thailand as in the US they voted in the governments who haven't achieved on the healthcare issues. Nothing wrong with making comparisons, it's the governments job to make them too and hopefully learn from others mistakes.

THere's a HUGE amount wrong with making these comparisons - they're fallacious and don't follow on form the argument - can't you see that?"I think his point is if a country as rich as the USA can't sort it out then we shouldn't be so judgmental " - well that's ridiculous loads of countries poorer than US have good healthcare and many others are gpoing in the rigt direction but simply comparing apples with oranges is completely off the mark

No it's not! You look at what others are doing right and wrong and try to do it better in your own country so comparing apples to oranges is a very relevant part of human progression.

Right! But only for the poor or working class in the US but for the rich it is the best MONEY CAN BUY.

Actually that isn't true either - good medical treatment is so grossly overpriced people often pay through the nose for second rate care.

If one had googled the correct terms they would have found quite a few references to what the Thai Doctor had correctly mentioned. hyperglycemic agitation, hyperglycemic delerium

low and high blood sugar are both in the differential dx for agitation and delirium ; altered mental status.

Anecdotal experiences from a handful of diabetics that have not experienced these symptoms while their sugar was low or high is tantamount to a few people saying they have taken penicillin and have never experienced an allergic reaction therefore penicillin does not cause allergic reactions.

Of course there are competent doctors and not competent in Thailand and most every country. Google California medical board sanctions and disciplinary actions against doctors and read about some bizarre and horrific stuff. It happens in the UK also.

Some of those beggars in tourist areas have already received training in how to use children to get money. Sometimes the children are trained to beg with adult "handlers" close at hand. Some of those beggars are not even Thai, but from Cambodia or Myanmar and are pawns in organized scams. They have learned from European gypsies maybe? You can find many videos and new stories about that.

Edited by atyclb

Thailand is not a rich western country and it does a lot more for its mentally ill than a lot of other countries. India for example. The country just has not got enough funds to do everything that should be done. They need to widen tax collection to a lot more people including all the farangs who live here and pay no taxes.

I think we have found the first nutcase to put in a newly built ward... ;)

Edited by TAWP

One presumes their initial treatment will involve being taken to a police station and chained to a cell bar for a couple of weeks.....or until they cheer up?

I would say that the announcement by DSDW deputy director-general Lertpanya Booranabundit et al shows that they really have done no research into the situation at all and are simply making assumptions that they hope will justify a nasty campaign to clear the streets of the poor, disadvantaged and homeless.

I think the technical term for it is "sweeping under the carpet"

The whole CRACKDOWN affair on POOR and MENTHALLY SICK is as promising as all other Govt 'crackdowns'.

The only treatment for 'poor' would be to make them rich? Please correct me....

The only treatment for 'mentally sick' would be : a) diagnose, B) treat or c) institutionalise.

Hope the Govt has the money, the people, the facilities and a long lasting resolve to actually do these things....

.................. Wouldn't it be nice?! ................ instead of another CROCK DOWN........:D

Thailand is not a rich western country and it does a lot more for its mentally ill than a lot of other countries. India for example. The country just has not got enough funds to do everything that should be done. They need to widen tax collection to a lot more people including all the farangs who live here and pay no taxes.

I am a ferang who lives and works here and pays taxes and social security off my pay. If more Thais were honest and paid taxes the country would have the money. I suggest the Thais start a system like the IRS or Canada Revenue they go out and search for businesses and people who do not pay taxes. Instead of the police taking your money, the tax department should actively be persueing most Thai business people who pay nothing. I don't care if they have a noodle stand on the street, if they make money they should be paying a portion to the government. This is the problem in Thailand. Why should I support the Thai people financially when their own people will not. Inequality large.

Edited by Colabamumbai

What is the recent case of the Briton in Pattaya and how does it relate to the issue under discussion?

I am a Farang who lives here and I don't pay taxes and why should I? I don't work but still contribute to the economy through my overseas savings and investments. What do you want the thai government to do introduce a farang tax? :licklips: Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that someone from the thai tax office may see it and think that is a great idea.:licklips: :licklips: :licklips: :licklips: :licklips:

I am a Farang who lives here and I don't pay taxes and why should I? I don't work but still contribute to the economy through my overseas savings and investments. What do you want the thai government to do introduce a farang tax? :licklips: Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that someone from the thai tax office may see it and think that is a great idea.:licklips: :licklips: :licklips: :licklips: :licklips:

And how do your overseas investments contribute to Thai society and your overseas savings. Do you think the money you spend on booze and prostitutes is a tax contribution?

yeah yeah, good one. Unfortunately there is often news like this and finally they achive nothing, so business as usual. may be the Briton in handcuffs made some headlines so they think we have to bring something up asap....its forgotten in a week.

And how do your overseas investments contribute to Thai society and your overseas savings. Do you think the money you spend on booze and prostitutes is a tax contribution?

Uh, yes, his here spent money improves the situation here - especially if it is earned abroad. The money down the line is always taxed upon anyway.

The point I was hinting to above is two-fold:

- All foreigners that live and work here legally pay taxes - more so than locals in general.

- If someone does not get their income here they are still spending the earnings here and as such are adding to the tax-base, se VAT etc.

There's always someone who thinks that some or all beggars aren't "genuine" whatever that is.

THe truth is that in a society like /Thailand poverty is not far away wherever you are and ask youself, do you really think these beggars LIKE their work - would YOU like to sit in the road all day?

THe fact is that begging genuine or not only exists if poverty exists and "clearing the streets" won't make the problem go awayIt won't work and will create other problems especially in a country where corruption is rife.

One HAS to go to the causes of this poverty.

Edited by Deeral

THose of you who think your "wealth" from abroad is helping out in any significant way - forget it.

trickle dopwn theory is a joke - it doesn't happen

What you actually do is PUT PRICES UP - you pay too much for your housing, food and everything you are old and put a strain on the health care (and put the prices up there too) - in fact in many ways you are a pain in the arse when it comes to the average low income Thai trying to scrape a living.

Sorry, the “Briton in Pattaya” you refer to is a notorious drug addict and an absolute disgrace to other farangs.

See:

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2010/11/13/drug-crazed-briton-strips-off-frightening-neighbors-in-pattaya/

In my home country, Belgium, the law on vagrancy, begging and pimping was abolished in 1993.

Since then the cities are full of beggars, drug addicts, homeless people and illegal and other aliens who cost the community lots of money.

THose of you who think your "wealth" from abroad is helping out in any significant way - forget it.

trickle dopwn theory is a joke - it doesn't happen

What you actually do is PUT PRICES UP - you pay too much for your housing, food and everything you are old and put a strain on the health care (and put the prices up there too) - in fact in many ways you are a pain in the arse when it comes to the average low income Thai trying to scrape a living.

Thanks I could not have said it better than you.

There's always someone who thinks that some or all beggars aren't "genuine" whatever that is.

THe truth is that in a society like /Thailand poverty is not far away wherever you are and ask youself, do you really think these beggars LIKE their work - would YOU like to sit in the road all day?

THe fact is that begging genuine or not only exists if poverty exists and "clearing the streets" won't make the problem go awayIt won't work and will create other problems especially in a country where corruption is rife.

good points on the fail of trickle down. really things cost only what people are willing to pay for them.

However it is true a lot of those beggars don't wanna work. they're often on Thai Tv programs caught faking or feigning. others are hitting the jackpot beggin' and would rather do that than work. the ones who are really filthy and mental are the ones in need of help, not those middle aged to 50ish women with food and fresh pressed clothes posin' with a kid.

every country has its homeless I suppose, though I see few with so many fakers and unmotivated as I do here.

Sorry, the "Briton in Pattaya" you refer to is a notorious drug addict and an absolute disgrace to other farangs.

See:

http://www.pattayada...ors-in-pattaya/

In my home country, Belgium, the law on vagrancy, begging and pimping was abolished in 1993.

Since then the cities are full of beggars, drug addicts, homeless people and illegal and other aliens who cost the community lots of money.

THanks for that Nazi manifesto!

good points on the fail of trickle down. really things cost only what people are willing to pay for them.

However it is true a lot of those beggars don't wanna work. they're often on Thai Tv programs caught faking or feigning. others are hitting the jackpot beggin' and would rather do that than work. the ones who are really filthy and mental are the ones in need of help, not those middle aged to 50ish women with food and fresh pressed clothes posin' with a kid.

every country has its homeless I suppose, though I see few with so many fakers and unmotivated as I do here.

THis is pathetic!

Of corse there are fakes, but don't you see how useful they are ? people who want to have some kind of campaign against beggars without actually tackling the causes love to do exposees of "fakes" - this then changes the public perception and sympathies.

I would have thought that the average westerner would have been familiar with this by now

You might want to take a look at UK in the 80s when many benefits were withdrawn - all of a sudden the streets filled with "youth" who didn't want to work.

Before the 80s all te beggars you saw were either the old or mentally ill - a dramatic change took place and the government embarked on a campaign to demonize those who were for one reason or another at the bottom of the heap.

australia followed a similar course a few years later and folk who had once been dubbed "battlers" became "bludgers"

It's all very easy to cite perceived cases of "abuse" but the real motivation behind this is to avoid the real problem.in a society some can be a the top and others have to be - for some periods at least - at the bottom and to suggest that even the "fakes" WANT to be there shows a complete lack of understanding of how begging works in any society and what people are prepared to do for their next meal.

Sorry, the "Briton in Pattaya" you refer to is a notorious drug addict and an absolute disgrace to other farangs.

See:

Your reaction tells a lot about you.

See:

Your reaction tells a lot about you.

If you read carefully between the lines - difficult for some -it will reveal that I don't like Nazis or those proposing policies that Nazis would like.