Thailand Has Become Boring!

saraburioz

I am sitting here in my parents home in Oz drinking a can of VB and wondering if thailand will ever be the same for me.

I decided that I needed a break and had a short holiday on the coast with a couple of good old mates from Thailand, who have now gone back. Both of them have been in Thailand longer than me(7 years).  Both still great mates and seem to have it sussed in Thailand and wouldn't move anwhre else.

Thailand has become boring

When I left college in Oz 10 years ago, Thailand was very exciting - shaggin lots of bgs in Bangkok and the beaches while making heaps of cash(not in legal ways).

This gave me a real adrenalin rush and Thailand was fun! I travelled round Europe and settled for living in Thailand when I was 26.

I have lived in thailand for 7 years, been maried for 5 years with two sons aged 6 and 4 and a daughter aged 1.5 years. My wife has become fat, but I still love her very much, she is 30 yo.

maybe I am just going through a crisis of some sort, certainly drinking a lot more, but really am pissed off with Thailand and worry about the future of my kids, and my wife.

Australia has far better opportunities for career and education. Maybe it is time to move the clan over.

Do you fellows think that after a certain amount of years Thailand loses it's appeal?

Any advice appreciated, especially from long term residents or guys with children.

I have heard some sad stories but yours is the one that is a winner!

Why dont you change hands?

:D

Taxi for Jaun Kerr! :o

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i can see where u are coming from mate.....

i think the best way is to move back to OZ....think of your kids, they will get an education a hundred times better than in thailand....now i can hear u all screaming "thailand has better education" GET REAL GUYS..... western countries have better education for kids....why the ###### do u think so many students from overseas would kill to study in a western society...i know if u asked every thai person or asian they would agree.....

live in oz for the months of they year they study then during their 3 month summer break go back to thailand.....

thailand is great for the party life....but once people get bored of that they begin to realise its just another 3rd world country.....

i plan to live there in 2 years but there no way my kids will grow up there ...not a chance in ######...

lifes what u make it....but if u want the best for your family u know deep down where that is.

Some of my best Times were had with "Aussie" sailors hitting the bars in Olongapo 19 71, while on leave from Vietnam.

"Drinkin' piss and brawlin', ya know mate."

Love you Aussies but I was alot younger then.

I've also been everywhere and done everything.

If I kick tommorrow at 54, no complaints, I sure didn't miss much...

The real answers are inside. The grass is always greener on the other side.

You've got to get it solid inside yourself. Is it with martial arts, meditation, vippassana, yoga etc. I don't know? I've done all of these and still hit the sauce occassionaly.

Usually done in two drinks these days though.

My guess isthe sooner you get your head out of the bottle the better you'll be.

No matter where you are.

All things in moderation, including moderation... :o

Been here nearly 16 years now and have been through most of the phases.

Year and a half living in a small village in Nakhon Phanom missing the city life. Year and a half living in the centre of BKK missing the country life.

So I compromised and I'm now living in a mubaan partially surrounded by fields with BKK on my doorstep.

I've got 3 kids and I didn't want them growing up either in the NKP village or the centre of BKK where they can't play outside anywhere. So here it's ideal for them.

I'm not wealthy enough to send them to intl schools so they go to private schools.

I have thought about taking them to England for the education, but how many kids leave school there only to end up on job creation schemes or working on a Tesco checkout? I'm sure their parents wanted the best for them too.

When I get bored or too complacent about things in Thailand then I look to see how I can change things. For instance, with visa runs. They get me out of the house for a couple of days and breaks up a quotidian routine. If going to one border starts to get boring then I'll go elsewhere. If I've already been there before then I'll take a different route and stop overnight somewhere different than previously etc.

Ideally, I would like to be able to spend some time every year in England even if it was just so that I could re-appreciate what Thailand has to offer upon returning. Sadly, finances don't allow me that option so I make do with what I got. :D

A most excellent post, Gazza.... good to hear about others finding the "middle path" and avoiding the extremes of life in Thailand. You got a good head on your shoulders and best of luck to you and yours.

:o

Didn't read all the posts so I hope I'm not repeating what others have said :o

For me (and I'm sure it's the same for many other Brits), Thailand does have a lot of hassles and problems. But a quick comparison of that dump that is the UK rapidly brings me to my senses!! I'm in Thailand for life....

Simon

Didn't read all the posts so I hope I'm not repeating what others have said :o

For me (and I'm sure it's the same for many other Brits), Thailand does have a lot of hassles and problems.  But a quick comparison of that dump that is the UK rapidly brings me to my senses!!  I'm in Thailand for life....

Simon

Me too

Australia has far better opportunities for career and education. Maybe it is time to move the clan over.

My Thai wife (here in Oz) plus ALL her Thai friends (there are plenty) say they would not want to return to Thailand to live. For a holiday yes, but not to live for an extended period.

Why is this?

Edited by BaanOz

I am sitting here in my parents home in Oz drinking a can of VB and wondering if thailand will ever be the same for me.

I decided that I needed a break and had a short holiday on the coast with a couple of good old mates from Thailand, who have now gone back. Both of them have been in Thailand longer than me(7 years).  Both still great mates and seem to have it sussed in Thailand and wouldn't move anwhre else.

Thailand has become boring

When I left college in Oz 10 years ago, Thailand was very exciting - shaggin lots of bgs in Bangkok and the beaches while making heaps of cash(not in legal ways).

This gave me a real adrenalin rush and Thailand was fun! I travelled round Europe and settled for living in Thailand when I was 26.

I have lived in thailand for 7 years, been maried for 5 years with two sons aged 6 and 4 and a daughter aged 1.5 years. My wife has become fat, but I still love her very much, she is 30 yo.

maybe I am just going through a crisis of some sort, certainly drinking a lot more, but really am pissed off with Thailand and worry about the future of my kids, and my wife.

Do you fellows think that after a certain amount of years Thailand loses it's appeal?

Any advice appreciated, especially from long term residents or guys with children.

Your kids are growing up really fast whether you notice it or not. If you are bored then spend more time with your kids while they're still kids. If you don't then you will wish you had....guaranteed. Actually maybe your boredom is a blessing in that it frees you up to be there for your kids....do it....every day....if you do then 20 years from now you will thank me for this advise....guaranteed...

Excellent point, Chownah. How can a father be bored with children of those ages to nurture? There's more to do than show them how to drink beer. As you point out, they are kids for only a short time and only once in their lives so don't blow it Saraburioz!

It's what sort of company you're keeping that matters the most I reckon. I grew up on the coast in Sydney and had a great time growing up but when i go back now every year for a month I'm always glad to get out of the joint. Just find the place dull and predictable. As the song goes: "I love the country but i can't stand the scene."......Leonard Cohen. Problem is all the old mates are all so domesticated nowadays. Doesn't help either that even close to the centre of town walking the streets is like walking through a ghost town. Took my Thai girlfriend down there and she wanted to know what happened to everyone. Told her that most people were inside watching TV with a bottle in hand........a bit like Saraburioz, the guy who set this thing going and reckoned Thailand was boring. People get bored I suppose when they reckon they ought to be doing something else. Think we all go through that from time to time eh?.....no matter where we are. I just to have to go back to oz for a short time every year to realise that Thailand's the place to be right now.

people will always say somewhere was better some previous time.  People have said Thailand was better when.....

---pre-1997

---when there was no AIDS

---when 100 baht was the biggest bill

---when Nana Plaza had exotic shows

---when the bars were open all night

---when I was younger and more naive

Aye, back in good ol' days of the early 90's we didn't have none of these internet contraptions either. When you wanted instant info on Thailand you had reach for the Lonely Planet guide book. If you wanted to send a letter to a loved one back home you couldn't do it with a push of a button but instead had to use a writing implement called a pen. With a pen you then had to compose a rough draft of a letter before writing it on some fancy bog-type paper used specially for sending overseas. If that wasn't enough, you then had to take the letter all the way to town to a post office, get it weighed, adhere stamps to it and then pop it into a post box. And the whole process seemed to take like a whole <deleted>' week.

Visa runs. With Laos, Myanmar and Cambodia closed for tourism it used to take me 3 days to go from Nakhon Phanom to the Malaysian border and back. Whereas going to Laos would've taken me a total of about 2 hours. But my visa run horror stories would surely pale in comparison to the horrors of having to wait in a queue at Poipet which is only 3 hours away. I don't know how newbie visa runners put up with such atrocities.

Farang food was in plentiful supply outside of BKK and Pattaya. Providing you only basically ate Kraft cheese slices on bread that is. If luck was on your side potatoes were available from the local town market to go with the baked beans that you lugged all the way from Penang. Of course now that supermarkets are springing up in most provincial towns even tiddles the cat has tinned catfood options of fois gras or smoked arctic ground squirrel.

Nor was there IBC or UTV (now merged as UBC) outside of the cities back then. I only had the good fortune to look forward to 'Big Cinema' every saturday night on Thai tv. A farang movie would be shown with a dual language soundtrack that was watched on a monolingual Thai tv. I liked the action movies the best. 'French Lieutenant's Woman' was therefor considered a good cure for insomnia.

Yes, it was possible to buy VCRs at that time but the video tape rental offerings weren't to Ma and Pa In Laws tastes. They would quickly lose the plot while watching 'The Sperminator' or 'Let's Get Nasty Spanky'.

Now, it's not only confusing what movie to watch but you've got the added headache of which format in which to veiw it, at the cinema, on HBO, Video, VCD, DVD, MPEG, AVI etc.,etc, or just sod em' all and watch it on your mobile.

Oh, that reminds me. There was no mobiles either back then. If you wanted to meet someone the next day you had to phone to them at home to make an appointment.

At the appointed time and rendevous point you'd be waiting there wondering why they're 15 mins late. Maybe they'd got stuck in traffic somewhere. So you'd wait another 15 mins in case they were late getting away from somewhere and THEN perhaps got stuck in traffic as well. So another 15 mins of waiting would go by. Usually the laws of sod would be on your mind round about now. If you left now you know quite well that you'd be told later that you must've just missed them.

So you'd wait for a further 15 mins after a total waiting time of 1 hour, only to be told the next day that they had completely forgot about the appointment in the first place.

Now of course you can't even miss seeing something on tv thanks to the mobile. Just set the alarm on your mobile or better still, press a few buttons and get the cable company to SMS you. Sadly, I still can't figure out how to get the mobile to switch on the tv. I'm still resorting to using the antiquated tv remote device.

Shouldn't forget the good ol' bar prices too. A measily 30 baht for a Singha beer. I remember saying that if it ever went to 40 baht I would give up drinking. Also if it went up from 50 to 60 baht. And then if it went up from 60 to 70.

I can't honestly remember there being a S/T price for bargirls. Heck, 500 baht for an all nighter was considered value for money in those days. Do the BGs accept credit cards now?

The next generation of Thai newbies will no doubt be complaining about visa runs taking a lengthy 10 minutes to complete because their outdated teleporters takes a full 5 minutes to boot-up. Or receiving incorrect GPS co-ordinates on their mobiles was the cause of them being 2 minutes late for an appointment.

Ay, we had it tough back in them days. Try telling the newbies of today about the problems of yesteryear and they won't believe you. :o

It's what sort of company you're keeping that matters the most I reckon. I grew up on the coast in Sydney and had a great time growing up but when i go back now every year for a month I'm always glad to get out of the joint. Just find the place dull and predictable. As the song goes: "I love the country but i can't stand the scene."......Leonard Cohen.  Problem is all the old mates are all so domesticated nowadays. Doesn't help either that  even close to the centre of town walking the streets is like walking through a ghost town. Took my Thai girlfriend down there and she wanted to know what happened to everyone. Told her that most people were inside watching TV with a bottle in hand........a bit like Saraburioz, the guy who set this thing going and reckoned Thailand was boring.  People get bored I suppose when they reckon they ought to be doing something else. Think we all go through that from time to time eh?.....no matter where we are. I just to have to go back to oz for a short time every year to realise that Thailand's the place to be right now.

Same same but little bit different! Also grew up in Sydney but had the advantage of great parents who took us all over the country every school holidays. Gave me a big dose of the travel bug.... so much so that I left Sydney at 18 and moved every 3 yrs (in between overseas travel jaunts) because I got bored with where I lived.

Then I came to realise it's not the place because you take YOU with you when you move somewhere different. Finally settled in the tropics of north QLD for 7 yrs before coming to Thailand 3 yrs ago. I haven't been back to Oz since as I know how predictable it is bit also am happy here as a single person in an interesting, unpredictable culture.

But it is different if you have kids. if you can't afford a good international school in Thailand it would be better to take the kids home for a western education and return to Thailand during holidays. That way the whole family has the best of both worlds. :o

Yes, I think you may need to look at how you spend your time in Thailand - boredom is a state of mind, not a place where we live - so how you feel about a place is dependent on you.

Chownah makes a very good point about spending time with your kids - it is well taken for my part as I work away from home for most of the year - seeing my family in Bangkok for an average of maybe 2 months total out of 12 - and no, I'm not proud of that, but it is the way that I can provide a good life for them, even if I am away for long periods (I ring and speak to them every day).

Baanoz made the point that his Thai wife and her friends from LOS do not wish to return to live in Thailand. My ex-wife, a Thai as well, left the country and came to live in Australia - when I met her she had been in the country 10 years and had no wish to go back to Bangkok even though she has many relatives in Samut Sakhon. I think there may actually be a little bit of snobbishness in it - but having said that, I would never condemn her decision, or any other person who left their "home country".

As for moving to Australia, I know many people do like the idea of living there, but as an Australian who has travelled and lived and worked in many places across the world,I can honestly say that I for one am much happier being in my adopted home, Thailand, than anywhere else - yes, it gets frustrating sometimes, and of course it's not "perfect" in many people's view, but no-where is, and at least LOS has generally good weather, no real cold time to speak of (unless you are in the north of course), and the people are still some of the easiest to get along with anywhere.

Last year I asked my kids if they would like to live in Australia; both of them said "No way!" and when I asked why not, my 9 year old daughter simply said "Too many rules."

As for schools, my kids go to a good quality private school, easily as good as any I have seen elsewhere, and although not extremely cheap, it's not as expensive as the "international" schools around. To be honest, after seeing the way kids come out of the western school system, at least the primary stages, I am not in any hurry to send my kids to school in the UK or Australia - the basic education may be quite good, but the environment seems to be producing a generation of badly behaved little b*stards!

That's one thing I do like about the Thai schools, my kids are well disciplined at home, and it is the same at school. At least they do learn respect for others, especially thir elders, and I don't care what people say, children allowed to act as they please only leads to one thing - trouble - children constantly test the bubble to see how far it can go before it breaks - it is something they need to do so they can establish an understanding of where they fit into things - if there are no lmits, they have no guidelines within which they feel safe, so their behaviour reflects this lack of control. Schools in Thailand generally seem to have strict controls in place, and at the early stage of their lives, I truly think it is necessary, so Asian schooling is not a bad thing.

All in all, it's life in Bangkok, and I accept the limitations there may be, as well as being thankful for the opportunities it offers from time to time.

To me, Thailand is a lot less boring than many places I have lived, but I do enjoy travel, and I will always enjoy returning to the country of my family's roots, the UK, but Thailand is the country of birth of my children, and that makes it home, even if nothing else ever did.

If you are bored in Thailand, I suspect that sooner or later, you would very certainly be bored in Australia - I have been in Sydney for a few months now, and I can't wait to get back to the country I have known as home for the past 13 years - Thailand.

Edited by Greer

Shouldn't forget the good ol' bar prices too. A measily 30 baht for a Singha beer. I remember saying that if it ever went to 40 baht I would give up drinking. Also if it went up from 50 to 60 baht. And then if it went up from 60 to 70.

I can't honestly remember there being a S/T price for bargirls. Heck, 500 baht for an all nighter was considered value for money in those days. Do the BGs accept credit cards now?

Remember that for a dollar it was only 25 baht.

It wasn't that long ago the early 90s.

Yes, I think you may need to look at how you spend your time in Thailand - boredom is a state of mind, not a place where we live - so how you feel about a place is dependent on you.

Chownah makes a very good point about spending time with your kids - it is well taken for my part as I work away from home for most of the year - seeing my family in Bangkok for an average of maybe 2 months total out of 12 - and no, I'm not proud of that, but it is the way that I can provide a good life for them, even if I am away for long periods (I ring and speak to them every day).

Baanoz made the point that his Thai wife and her friends from LOS do not wish to return to live in Thailand. My ex-wife, a Thai as well, left the country and came to live in Australia - when I met her she had been in the country 10 years and had no wish to go back to Bangkok even though she has many relatives in Samut Sakhon. I think there may actually be a little bit of snobbishness in it - but having said that, I would never condemn her decision, or any other person who left their "home country".

As for moving to Australia, I know many people do like the idea of living there, but as an Australian who has travelled and lived and worked in many places across the world,I can honestly say that I for one am much happier being in my adopted home, Thailand, than anywhere else - yes, it gets frustrating sometimes, and of course it's not "perfect" in many people's view, but no-where is, and at least LOS has generally good weather, no real cold time to speak of (unless you are in the north of course), and the people are still some of the easiest to get along with anywhere.

Last year I asked my kids if they would like to live in Australia; both of them said "No way!" and when I asked why not, my 9 year old daughter simply said "Too many rules."

As for schools, my kids go to a good quality private school, easily as good as any I have seen elsewhere, and although not extremely cheap, it's not as expensive as the "international" schools around. To be honest, after seeing the way kids come out of the western school system, at least the primary stages, I am not in any hurry to send my kids to school in the UK or Australia - the basic education may be quite good, but the environment seems to be producing a generation of badly behaved little b*stards!

That's one thing I do like about the Thai schools, my kids are well disciplined at home, and it is the same at school. At least they do learn respect for others, especially thir elders, and I don't care what people say, children allowed to act as they please only leads to one thing - trouble - children constantly test the bubble to see how far it can go before it breaks - it is something they need to do so they can establish an understanding of where they fit into things - if there are no lmits, they have no guidelines within which they feel safe, so their behaviour reflects this lack of control. Schools in Thailand generally seem to have strict controls in place, and at the early stage of their lives, I truly think it is necessary, so Asian schooling is not a bad thing.

All in all, it's life in Bangkok, and I accept the limitations there may be, as well as being thankful for the opportunities it offers from time to time.

To me, Thailand is a lot less boring than many places I have lived, but I do enjoy travel, and I will always enjoy returning to the country of my family's roots, the UK, but Thailand is the country of birth of my children, and that makes it home, even if nothing else ever did.

If you are bored in Thailand, I suspect that sooner or later, you would very certainly be bored in Australia - I have been in Sydney for a few months now, and I can't wait to get back to the country I have known as home for the past 13 years - Thailand.

Greer thatks a lot for that post, it was very helpful. My boys have been to OZ twice and love it, I think they would agree to move.

Thailand seem to have a lot more <deleted> in recent years, like "meelousee" on this forum for example.

The point was made that Thai people want to come to Australia and some spend lots of cash doing so. there is a reason for this. OZ has much better life opportunities than Thailand for kids growing up and going to Uni.

I know some Thai people in Oz and they would never go back.

Thailand is a developing corrupt country and will be for years to come. Most farangs that like it have had a pretty boring life and enjoy the difference for qa few years, then become sad old gits. There are a few exceptions.

Also when the present monarch passes away, i want to be right out of there for obvious reasons.

Edited by saraburioz

I grew up on the coast in Sydney and had a great time growing up but when i go back now every year for a month I'm always glad to get out of the joint. Just find the place dull and predictable.

After waking up every morning for 15 years to this scene (pic from my sydney balcony):

sydview3.jpg

I found my gf's hometown dull and predictable:

j-mainstreet.jpg

Edited by think_too_mut

Those pics say it all I think mate.

What would I rather have a nice house in South Yarra(reportedly the best place in the world to live - "The Age") or Sydney, or Samut bloody Prakhan , Nakhon Gawdai?

Edited by saraburioz

Yeah, Thailand is really really boring...and the furthern north you get the more boring it is....the best thing is stay in Bangkok or very near it...that's the least boring part and the best place to vacation or live....really.....definitely....guaranteed...

Yeah, Thailand is really really boring...and the furthern north you get the more boring it is....the best thing is stay in Bangkok or very near it...that's the least boring part and the best place to vacation or live....really.....definitely....guaranteed...

At least in the picture, looks more challenging than Nakhon Nowhere.

bkkview.jpg

I grew up on the coast in Sydney and had a great time growing up but when i go back now every year for a month I'm always glad to get out of the joint. Just find the place dull and predictable.

After waking up every morning for 15 years to this scene (pic from my sydney balcony):

sydview3.jpg

I found my gf's hometown dull and predictable:

j-mainstreet.jpg

OK, but how much did you have to pay like in Taxes to enjoy that view and all the creature comforts of a western city?

To me, a little villiage life is preferable. :o

If you are a party goer, then YES Thailand has become BORING !!! no doubt. The place is doomed. Now is it bad ? maybe not. Maybe it's time to focus on something different and make Thailand interesting again. I still love Bangkok for what it has to offer. The bar scene is basically dead and boring, but I don't give that much of a fuk now. Private parties are the way to go. However the place is not as much fun without all the drug dealers and criminals from all over the world.

Hey Butterfly - how come you never took me to any of these private parties. Keeping them for yourself?

:D

I will have to show you different places. The university students places are the best but they close at 12:00 :o

Edited by Butterfly

OK, but how much did you have to pay like in Taxes to enjoy that view and all the creature comforts of a western city?

Unless you have lived in Thailand all your life or in a tax-free country, you have paid all those taxes as well...and are not there to enjoy.

For example, schools and health that you supported through the taxes have nothing to do with Thailand based offspring. If you want something good you have to pay again.

Int school will cost u 15K US$ a year, comparable health would cost u 300$ per month at least, non-corrupt and efficient police - sorry, you can't have that. Neither you can have water drinkable from the tap.

From that pic, that village seems pretty boring and backward. You would have to be crazy to live there unless you are trying to runaway from something.

Are you saying that ALL the residents of that village are either crazy or running away from something?....I think not. Do you think that the people who live there have unhappy lives? Do you think that the people who live there ever smile or even laugh from time to time? Do you think that some people derive satisfaction in ways different from you? Do you think that I derive satisfaction from asking you these questions? Do I think that you will derive satisfaction in speaking rudely to me when you answer these questions?...or do I think that you will derive satisfaction in deciding that you will not answer this stupid post at all? When I read posts like yours I am just filled with questions.

To me, a little villiage life is preferable. :D

From that pic, that village seems pretty boring and backward. You would have to be crazy to live there unless you are trying to runaway from something.

Are you saying that ALL the residents of that village are either crazy or running away from something?....I think not. Do you think that the people who live there have unhappy lives? Do you think that the people who live there ever smile or even laugh from time to time? Do you think that some people derive satisfaction in ways different from you? Do you think that I derive satisfaction from asking you these questions? Do I think that you will derive satisfaction in speaking rudely to me when you answer these questions?...or do I think that you will derive satisfaction in deciding that you will not answer this stupid post at all? When I read posts like yours I am just filled with questions.

Then again they're not all Kung Foo - sorry, Muey Thai stars either! :o

Thailand boring ! hahaha don't make me larf !

The only reason I left was to become educated enuff to return and have a really comfortable life...

Everyday you see something strange, funny or just plain daft...

Horses being carried on push bikes,

people holding panes of glass while riding pillion on a motorbike,

women labouring on building sites,

a million beautiful smiles and legs( women to die for, really)

organised chaos on the roads,

shanty towns next to mansions,

beautiful places to visit,

the list is endless and never boring..

Flogging yourself to death teaching is boring because of no time to enjoy the trappings of Amazing Thailand..

LOS is what you make of it. I'm not bored. When I go to a disco I never expect the DJ to blend like John Digweed or cut like Roc Raida. But I can hook up with a girl easily. I don't expect other things like farang food to taste good but this is obviously the place for Thai food. I never expect a smooth relationship. I don't expect to always be understood, no matter how perfect my Thai accent is. I never expect a theme park to be Disneyland. You need to change your standards here.

Heu I was assuming farang. Frankly, if you are a farang and you don't mind spending the rest of your life there, then I am filled with questions about that farang. This is not the same as living in a remote village in the montains with ethnics. It would be like moving from civilization to a backward redneck village in Texas with McD and parking lots on every block.

Edited by Butterfly

LOS is what you make of it.  I'm not bored.  When I go to a disco I never expect the DJ to blend like John Digweed or cut like Roc Raida.  But I can hook up with a girl easily.  I don't expect other things like farang food to taste good but this is obviously the place for Thai food.  I never expect a smooth relationship.  I don't expect to always be understood, no matter how perfect my Thai accent is.  I never expect a theme park to be Disneyland.  You need to change your standards here.

Amen to that