Denmark 4-1 England: Copenhagen Thrashing

Shivek

England received a cold dose of reality at the start of a World Cup season as they were torn apart by Denmark in the heaviest defeat of Sven-Goran Eriksson's 54 games in charge.

It normally takes rather longer than this for optimism about England's chances of glory to become muffled but just four days after the start of the Premiership campaign, Eriksson's side were given a startling wake-up call.

After all the overblown statements of intent for next summer's World Cup finals, it is one which they must heed - and quickly - with tricky World Cup qualifiers away to Wales and Northern Ireland next month.

Eriksson will at least be able to point to the fact that Denmark's four second-half goals - three of them in the space of six suicidal minutes - only came after he had made three changes at the back.

One of those, with the error-prone David James having replaced Paul Robinson, was especially costly as the Manchester City keeper was badly at fault for the first goal by Dennis Rommedahl on 60 minutes.

He hardly covered himself in glory for the second just three minutes later, scored by Jon Dahl Tomasson, while England were again undone at the back when Denmark went 3-0 ahead through substitute Michael Gravgaard's deflected header.

Indeed, with Denmark also scoring a fourth late on, his international career must surely be in major doubt, with the case growing for Robert Green or Chris Kirkland to take over as Robinson's back-up, while Johnson's defensive flaws were also exposed.

England's one hope, apart from the fact this game was 'only' a friendly, is Rooney, who battled tirelessly throughout to give his side some much-needed inspiration and pulled a goal back with three minutes left.

However, there were worrying signs on England's left flank, where Joe Cole looked lost, while Steven Gerrard's normally omnipresent displays for Liverpool are restricted by his deeper role for his country.

No wonder Alan Smith chose to play for Manchester United's reserves on Monday night. He had rather more foresight than those who spent the build-up to this match stressing England's strong chances of World Cup glory.

It all started so quietly. David Beckham rifled a 20-yard effort just wide, but it was not until the half-hour mark that Thomas Sorensen was forced to produce an acrobatic save to deny Jermain Defoe's fierce volley.

The Spurs striker, who will start instead of the suspended Michael Owen against Wales, was otherwise a peripheral figure. Not that you could ever accuse Rooney of that.

Having pushed Per Nielsen away angrily after one accidental collision before fouling Daniel Agger, he started arguing with the assistant referee early on and was still disagreeing with the officials at the interval, being shepherded aside by Beckham.

Along with the fiery temper, however, is a talent of rare quality.

Having seen one 'goal' ruled out for another foul on Agger, Rooney chased a seemingly lost cause but rescued the ball on the byline before teeing up Lampard for an effort which was blocked.

It was just as well Rooney injected some life into England, for there was precious little else to quicken the pulse at this stage.

Robinson, who had saved efforts from Thomas Gravesen and Claus Jensen in the first half, was substituted at the interval in a pre-arranged deal with Spurs boss Martin Jol.

Eriksson also brought on Jamie Carragher for John Terry, Johnson for Gary Neville and Owen for Defoe. Those who went off were the lucky ones.

While James lost his regular place in the side to Robinson after his mistake in Austria effectively cost England two qualifying points, it was just another 15 minutes before he blundered again in Copenhagen.

He came charging out of his area as Tomasson chased on to a long through-ball even though Ashley Cole was in hot pursuit, so when the full-back's tackle failed to stop the striker, James was out of position for the cross which allowed Rommedahl to side-foot into an empty net.

Cole and James were just as unsteady three minutes later when Denmark scored again.

This time, Johnson failed to stop Claus Jensen cutting back a dangerous cross and even though Cole half-cleared the ball, it was headed back by Rommedahl for Tomasson to prod home from close range.

If that was bad, worse was to follow. Carragher was beaten to a corner by substitute Gravgaard, whose header deflected off Gerrard into the net.

England were badly ruffled, with Cole and Johnson both booked, but at least there was Rooney, who scampered on to Beckham's through-ball and beat Sorensen to pull a goal back in the 87th minute.

It was but a temporary respite, with substitute Soren Larsen able to hold off Rio Ferdinand's desperate challenge to prod the ball past James in the last minute. The reality check was complete.

Unbelievable! :D:D:D:o:D:D

..Denmark 4-1 England...why you are so surprise???Do you think England has a good team?? :D  :D

Come on, dude... did u ever expect this sh*t score from England??? Losing to a team like Denmark and that also 4-1. :o

..ok..ok..I was joking...but remember, the next world championhips will be won by ITALY...I'm sure!!!

ITALY?????

:D

..Denmark 4-1 England...why you are so surprise???Do you think England has a good team?? :D  :D

Come on, dude... did u ever expect this sh*t score from England??? Losing to a team like Denmark and that also 4-1. :o

..ok..ok..I was joking...but remember, the next world championhips will be won by ITALY...I'm sure!!!

ITALY?????

..yes, Italy...and Gilardino will be the best striker of the championship...

ITALY?????

..yes, Italy...and Gilardino will be the best striker of the championship...

Gilardino is a good striker, but come on ...Italy to win ahead of Argentina or Brazil? cannot see that happening.

England's performance last night was almost comical, although what can you expect with Jenas in your side. Sven's competitive record is quite impressive on paper, he has only lost 3 competitive matches, Brazil, France and Portugal (not exactly disgraceful). We were robbed against both France and Portugal too

Unfortunately Ericsson will not go before the start of the World Cup, continuity and all that. What frustrates me, is that we have some of the best players in the world and the manager is so ineffective he makes them look like Sunday league players.

He said he already knows his starting 11 for the World Cup, does that mean if a player is out of form or injured then they still play? He lacks creativity, is afraid to drop the established names or change the tatics during the game to obtain a result. I mean what was the point in playing Owen? We know if he's fit or not suspended he'll play. Surely a full 90 minutes for Defoe would have been a better utilisation of the friendly.

I'm a cricket fan now, so what do I care :o

Sometimes I think the English and their home soccer team will never learn.

Answer questions such as: How many Danes play in the Premiere league? How many Danes play in the German league or Seria A?

Another question that has never been seriously addressed is how come Denmark unexpectedly won the European Cup?

The answer to all of these questions is the same: the small nation of Denmark (about 5 million) takes playing the game of soccer much more seriously than most nations in Europe.

Every Danish child, almost without exception, has access to, and gets involved in, playing competitive soccer, coached by professionals, from the age of 7 years.

No person can coach soccer in Denmark, at any level, unless they are a professionally trained soccer coach.

Children (male and female) play organised soccer outside, two or three times a week – at least throughout the months of March through to October, when the ground is more conducive to skilful playing. In the winter months they play 5-aside in-door.

If a child is any good, they are automatically encouraged to play for the better and more ambitious teams, with the result that by the time they are about 15 or 16 years of age they have their own professional representative who can sit down and negotiate terms with any professional team in the world.

As a national side (by the way, playing for Denmark is the highest honour for a Dane), the Danes love this arrogant belittling of their side by nations such as England, Germany or Italy. They say it is worth at least a couple of goals in every match.

When will the larger nations learn?

Unless they set up youth facilities of the order and magnitude of the Danish soccer training, they will be reduced to having second rate national sides where the majority of their players play in leagues populated by foreigners, who, on the whole, play better football than they do.

Edited by Thomas_Merton

The simple truth is that, Denmark where up for it and we where in tatters. The Stadium in which they played NEVER gets a full house for friendlies, last night, packed to the rafters. The Danes are always up for it against us and we should learn from that. Thought we where abit unlucky in the first half not to get a goal but overall Denmark had the upper hand. The second half doesn't need to be commented on, as it speaks for itself.

However, myself being a Man City fan, i would like to apologise to the nation on behalf of David James. The "<deleted> STUPID GIT" :o

Fortunately, that game stands for naff all, so we've got time to get our act together for the ones that matter.

The simple truth is that, Denmark where up for it and we where in tatters. The Stadium in which they played NEVER gets a full house for friendlies, last night, packed to the rafters. The Danes are always up for it against us and we should learn from that. Thought we where abit unlucky in the first half not to get a goal but overall Denmark had the upper hand. The second half doesn't need to be commented on, as it speaks for itself.

However, myself being a Man City fan, i would like to apologise to the nation on behalf of David James. The "<deleted> STUPID GIT"  :o

Fortunately, that game stands for naff all, so we've got time to get our act together for the ones that matter.

...and there you have it, in a nutshell.

With this attitude England will never win a major championship again.

I'll put my money where my mouth is. I'll pay for free drinks for a week at the Farang Connection, if they do in for the next 20 years (Lampy will be too pissed to work the till anyway).

the england players are spoilt kids who have gotten very rich very quick and lost all sense of reality and responsibility.

they have little or no sense of loyalty to the clubs they play for , they regularly break contracts ,("sorry , cant play for you anymore... i've been offered 10 million to play for fulchester" ) they miss training ( "sorry i missed training yesterday boss ... i was up half the night gang raping some totty i met at the nightclub") , and when they are training they would rather practice goalscorers celebration set pieces than tactical set pieces , so what makes anyone think they will have any desire to play well for england.

they get pampered and paid whether they win or lose.

If you are talking about World Cup, I think Brazil has it or maybe Germans could have it. But here's news:

Psycho: 'James will boucne back against Brum'

Manchester City boss Stuart Pearce has backed beleaguered goalkeeper David James to bounce back to his best in Saturday's Premiership trip to Birmingham.

Pearce insists he is unconcerned by the criticism aimed at James for his performance in England's 4-1 friendly humiliation in Denmark on Wednesday night.

And he believes the only way for his star man to prove a point to the doubters is by continuing to produce solid displays week in, week out for City.

Pearce said: 'It has always been that way with David, people pick up on any mistake he makes but all I am concerned about is what he does for us on Saturday and he has not let me down yet.

'The big players - and make no mistake he is one of them - all bounce back and they bounce back stronger. I have seen that from David before when he has been under the spotlight and I am expecting a big game for him on Saturday.'

Pearce is set to welcome back his defensive talisman Richard Dunne who missed the opening draw against West Brom last week but played 45 minutes in the Republic of Ireland's friendly defeat to Italy.

But captain Sylvain Distin will again be ruled out with his groin problem which requires more attention from City's medical team before he can return to action.

Pearce's problems have been eased by the fine performances of David Sommeil and Stephen Jordan in place of Distin and Dunne in the goalless draw against Albion.

Pearce added: 'It certainly helped me that's for sure, I've always been a big believer in just using the cards available to you at the time.

'I probably could have put Richard in last week but I thought he was bit light on match time. He came through the game in Dublin and he will be in contention for the weekend.'

Pearce maintains he still needs three new players but will continue eyeing specific targets such as Bolton's Greek international Stelios Giannakopoulos irrespective of the closure of the transfer window.

Pearce, whose £1million bid has been rejected out of hand by irritated Bolton chief Sam Allardyce, said: 'If we have got the players in by the deadline we will be delighted and if not we will keep doing our homework and hopefully go back in when the window reopens.

'We have made the offer and if Bolton accept that offer we will be delighted. If it doesn't happen then maybe somewhere down the line it will do.

'At the moment with what his left on his contract and his age and everything else taken into consideration we value him at £1million and that is where we are.'

However, myself being a Man City fan, i would like to apologise to the nation on behalf of David James. The "<deleted> STUPID GIT"  :D

I'll put my money where my mouth is. I'll pay for free drinks for a week at the Farang Connection, if they do in for the next 20 years (Lampy will be too pissed to work the till anyway).

You don't hear much from Lampy when England gets their A... kicked on the international arena. A front runner Mate? :o

However, myself being a Man City fan, i would like to apologise to the nation on behalf of David James. The "<deleted> STUPID GIT"  :D

You don't hear much from Lampy when England gets their A... kicked on the international arena. A front runner Mate? :o

You misunderstand my constitutional position. As a Welshman, I see no shame in abusing our ill-defined role in the UK, and allowing my support for the English cricket team to become public.

In all other sporting events my relationship with the English is considerably worse than an Aussie's to a Kiwi.

the england players are spoilt kids who have gotten very rich very quick and lost all sense of reality and responsibility.

they have little or no sense of loyalty to the clubs they play for , they regularly break contracts ,("sorry , cant play for you anymore... i've been offered 10 million to play for fulchester" ) they miss training ( "sorry i missed training yesterday boss ... i was up half the night gang raping some totty i met at the nightclub") , and when they are training they would rather practice goalscorers celebration set pieces than tactical set pieces , so what makes anyone think they will have any desire to play well for england.

they get pampered and paid whether they win or lose.

This is nonsense from someone who is too quick to believe what he reads in the papers. The England players are far from perfect but the effort and commitment they show at international tournaments is plain to see for anybody with an ounce of sporting knowledge.

They do not miss training - just rubbish.

There has been a string of rape accusations against players recently. The press has instantly found the players guilty but in fact not one has faced charges. Some of the claims were absolutely ridiculous and were just attempts by the women involved to make money out of their quick fling with a footballer.

It is a shame some players don't show more loyalty to their clubs but then again there are plenty of others that do.

They get paid more if they win.

Yes some of them are stupid - there are stupid people everywhere. Yes they shag young women - they are young, rich and famous so do you expect them to say no.

They may or may not do well at the next World Cup but if they fail it will not be through lack of effort. The simpe fact is it is very difficult to win a major international football tournament. It is by far the biggest sport in the world and all the teams there will be very good. It can not be compared to sports such as rugby or cricket which are only played by a handful of nations at a fairly low standard. England should win the world cup at these sports occasionally as there is not much opposition. To win the world cup at football is a totally different proposition.