Looking To Rent A House / Apt. Where To Start?

thaitar

Apartments

From experience, its far cheaper to go direct to the owners, which the above site seems to do.

I've previously used Chiang Mai House, and whilst they were very good, I later discovered the price of the house I rented was far too high. You'd need to haggle very hard to get a reasonable price.

Best is to rent a motosai and start off checking out Soi's and places you think you would like to stay. There you will find so many "for rent" posts with a phone number, then have your - thai speaking - friend call them up on the spot for more details. Make notes, keep them at bay saying "will think about it and probably get back to you" and keep on searching until you think you have found the right location. My GF and me found our pretty & inexpensive townhouse on the first day out . . . .

If you plan to rent an apartment or a condo unit, go to the buildings by yourself and ask the management in the lobby on available spaces for rent.

Easiest way to do - and you will find the good offers, deal with owners directly, btw, the internet only sports the more expensive offers, mostly agents-wise. Good Luck !

A little more detail might help. Do you want to be in or very near the city? If you don't ,how far away are you willing to live? 20/30 minutes by m/bike or car out of town? You do have transport? Do you have any idea at this stage what you want to pay or rather how much you can afford? Would you care to reveal if you are young, middle aged or elderly? It all helps, possibly

A little more detail might help. Do you want to be in or very near the city? If you don't ,how far away are you willing to live? 20/30 minutes by m/bike or car out of town? You do have transport? Do you have any idea at this stage what you want to pay or rather how much you can afford? Would you care to reveal if you are young, middle aged or elderly? It all helps, possibly

Meanwhile a browse though the following two agents will give you an introduction :

http://www.jasminehomes.co.th/

http://www.chiangmaihouse.com

But the advice above to eventually roam around various developments is usually the best but not so easy if you're new here.

Meanwhile a browse though the following two agents will give you an introduction :

But the advice above to eventually roam around various developments is usually the best but not so easy if you're new here.

http://www.chiangmainews.com/classifieds_job/list.php

I know you say this this is "fruitless" but I have looked at several places through this site .. avoiding the agents like "April" and have found the listings to be accurate and cheaper than agent listings. How I found the place I am about to lease longterm is the same way I have found all my places in Thailand to date. I got on the bike and looked. I had previously noticed that a nice house near both of my offices appeared empty so I walked across the street and asked at the minimart. They had the keys (trusted by the property owner -- good to know about your neighbors) so I went and looked.

Uh oh..." avoiding the agents like "April" "

I've been approached by April who has offered to show me some places, might someone please fill me in on why I should avoid April (a private message would be fine). Thanks

Nothing other than she's an agent, not an owner. The money for the agent comes from somewhere and it aint the owner :)

I've been approached by April who has offered to show me some places, might someone please fill me in on why I should avoid April (a private message would be fine). Thanks

Nothing other than she's an agent, not an owner. The money for the agent comes from somewhere and it aint the owner :)

And not to forget a very rude one. I called her for information about an old ad, and she made it very short by saying ' no speak English' after having spoken to me in English the first couple of sentences... very strange... Called her again because I was confused, but again 'no speak English'. She was very stressy and annoyed...I have no idea why...

But why advertise in English when you don't speak English...ermm.gif

PM me - I know all the agents - including April

"fruitless"?

I just now clicked on classifieds (top of every page on TV).

I then clicked on "real estate" in the white field just below the top of the page that came up.

Then scolling to the very bottom of this page, I clicked on "Chiang Mai ads".

This took me to a page with, I kid you not...1332 ads. Most with multiple colour photos attached.

You can refine the search in many other ways as well........adding "apartment to rent" yielded 135 ads. This took all of maybe 20 seconds to complete......

:rolleyes:

May I suggest Huaykaew Residence. WWW.huaykaewresidence.com

No I am not an agent for them.

They don't have the best reputation for returning deposits .....

The best way to find a place that meets your personal needs is to wander around. It helps if you read and speak Thai, but having a Thai friend with you can solve that issue if you don't read/speak Thai.

<avoiding the agents like "April"> Correct.

April took me and another couple that was staying at the same B&B to a few places. She was prompt, courteous and professional. Though I rented a place by responding to an ad, not one of the ones she showed me, I will call her the next time I'm here to see what she has. In short, I'd recommend her as an agent.. At least she promptly returned calls and showed up on time, unlike ;Century 21 and two other "professional" rental agents that I left messages with.

Edited by jsflynn603

April took me and another couple that was staying at the same B&B to a few places. She was prompt, courteous and professional. Though I rented a place by responding to an ad, not one of the ones she showed me, I will call her the next time I'm here to see what she has. In short, I'd recommend her as an agent.. At least she promptly returned calls and showed up on time, unlike ;Century 21 and two other "professional" rental agents that I left messages with.

The only reason I mentioned April was that she's an agent. While I understand that for some people agents seem to be an easy way out, they do increase the costs involved. It is strictly a personal bias against paying people that tend to show you what they want to move (highest commissions etc)

The only reason I mentioned April was that she's an agent. While I understand that for some people agents seem to be an easy way out, they do increase the costs involved. It is strictly a personal bias against paying people that tend to show you what they want to move (highest commissions etc)

This is nonsense of course - the owners pay the commission and there is NO difference in price to the buyer. It's standard 3% on sales and one months rent for a one year contract - so there are no 'highest commissions'.

April is ok but she deals with 'lower end' properties around the 3,000 to 6,000 level - chiang mai properties are one of the best for higher end (7,000 to 40,000) - both charge the standard commissions.

This is nonsense of course - the owners pay the commission and there is NO difference in price to the buyer. It's standard 3% on sales and one months rent for a one year contract - so there are no 'highest commissions'.

April is ok but she deals with 'lower end' properties around the 3,000 to 6,000 level - chiang mai properties are one of the best for higher end (7,000 to 40,000) - both charge the standard commissions.

:) In your dreams it might be the way that you suggest, however negotiating directly with the owner cuts out the commissions (and yes they are frequently more than you suggest.) I have gotten the same property offered by an agent at significantly less than the offer through the agency. While my assertion is of course anecdotal it is also .... taadaaah ..... true :) In a renter's market such as we have in Chiang Mai with so many properties sitting vacant owners will often offer more to agents (and up the price to do so.)

Just glancing through citylife online ads right now ...

April -- studio 7500

April -- condo (1br i think) 16k-17k

April --- 2br/2ba rowhouse 7k-10k

April --- 3br single story partly furnished 10k

April -- 2br 10k

April --- 2story 3br 18k

April -- 33m2 studio 7.5k

Next entry not april

Next entry not April

next entry not april

Now that is just the first 10 listings on that site --- none in the 3-6k range -- etc ...

Again, using an agent in Thailand just isn't the way to go.

:) In your dreams it might be the way that you suggest, however negotiating directly with the owner cuts out the commissions (and yes they are frequently more than you suggest.) I have gotten the same property offered by an agent at significantly less than the offer through the agency. While my assertion is of course anecdotal it is also .... taadaaah ..... true :) In a renter's market such as we have in Chiang Mai with so many properties sitting vacant owners will often offer more to agents (and up the price to do so.)

Just glancing through citylife online ads right now ...

April -- studio 7500

April -- condo (1br i think) 16k-17k

April --- 2br/2ba rowhouse 7k-10k

April --- 3br single story partly furnished 10k

April -- 2br 10k

April --- 2story 3br 18k

April -- 33m2 studio 7.5k

Next entry not april

Next entry not April

next entry not april

Now that is just the first 10 listings on that site --- none in the 3-6k range -- etc ...

Again, using an agent in Thailand just isn't the way to go.

Wrong again! I actually am in real estate and know the market very, very well - the commissions are standard and never have I heard different than I quote - I don't increase my prices because of commissions. Agents are the ONLY way to go (unless you are very, very fortunate) - they know all of the market and will hear of properties in a persons price range that you will never hear about. April does do a lot of 'free' ads in CityLife but has no web site, no office and no staff and usually concentrates on the 'lower' end - good for her and good luck to her - you quote houses we were discussing condos - you need to read more carefully (as usual).

:)

Again I noted my personal experiences AND my personal bias .... That other people have different opinions are to be expected. I didn't quote "houses", I quoted houses and condos and apartments that April listed. (Who needs ... ahhhh why bother?) So, you are in the real estate biz here in Chiang Mai? You are recommending agents?

Please note that my opinion seems to be shared by others.

:)

Again I noted my personal experiences AND my personal bias .... That other people have different opinions are to be expected. I didn't quote "houses", I quoted houses and condos and apartments that April listed. (Who needs ... ahhhh why bother?) So, you are in the real estate biz here in Chiang Mai? You are recommending agents?

Please note that my opinion seems to be shared by others.

I am bored clashing swords with someone who obviously knows everything about everything! I do own several properties here and I sell/buy frequently - I use agents (obviously) as they know the market much better than I) trying to 'go alone' and hope you find a great property is one strategy, I guess, but not a very intelligenmt one unless you are very, very fortunate and know someone who is selling or renting privately. I can honestly say, amongst the 30 or so agents and developers I know, there are none that try and go alone - they may have their own web site of course - but they cannot invest in offices, staff and web sites like the agents can. That's been my experience - take it or leave it.

-------- from Naboo on this thread --------

From experience, its far cheaper to go direct to the owners, which the above site seems to do.

I've previously used Chiang Mai House, and whilst they were very good, I later discovered the price of the house I rented was far too high. You'd need to haggle very hard to get a reasonable price.

crazygreg44 says -------

Best is to rent a motosai and start off checking out Soi's and places you think you would like to stay. There you will find so many "for rent" posts with a phone number, then have your - thai speaking - friend call them up on the spot for more details. Make notes, keep them at bay saying "will think about it and probably get back to you" and keep on searching until you think you have found the right location. My GF and me found our pretty & inexpensive townhouse on the first day out . . . .

If you plan to rent an apartment or a condo unit, go to the buildings by yourself and ask the management in the lobby on available spaces for rent.

Easiest way to do - and you will find the good offers, deal with owners directly, btw, the internet only sports the more expensive offers, mostly agents-wise. Good Luck !

-----Asmerom says --------

------jingjoke says -----

Seems as if the majority of the people on here suggest not using agents. Then again they probably aren't in the real estate game and have no vested interest ---

In fact, I think you may be the only person that does suggest using them that I have run across on TVF.

Again, my personal experience is that I have gotten the same property that was on offer from an agent at FAR less than they offered it to me for. That seems to be other people's experience as well. Like all things in life ---- your experience may differ!

Hi,

Since most are suggesting renting a house without an agent, how would one go about searching and renting a house without an agent for a better deal?

I know citylife classify is one, is there any other English classifies?

Are there non-agent Thais who helps foreigners find a house for cheaper price for a fee, perhaps an hourly rate?

Thanks!