New Bar Owner Patpong

SnakeBite

Have a friend that is taking over a bar in the patpong area and he is being inundated with mafia types and police suggesting he pay for some kind of protection. I would like to know a few things about this.

1) Is this the norm?

2) how do you know who is who to pay or to contact to not pay?

3) How much do you pay?

4)What are the dangers if not paying?

5)What are the dangers of recording the whole thing on camera and mics?

6) Would this be the right thing to do or is it just plain stupid to even think about?

7) If you are a bar owner are you paying or how do you keep from doing so?

Would be interesting to see the comments here from any bars or any kind of biz that is or is not paying for this.

6) Would this be the right thing to do or is it just plain stupid to even think about?

And report it to who exactly? I would say pretty ###### stupid.

No offence to your mate dude, but did he not expect this kind of thing when he bought a bar? He should know what to do or have a partner that knows what to do. If hes a newbie in Thailand with no connections, hes gonna get a lot of hassle like this.

No offence to your mate dude, but did he not expect this kind of thing when he bought a bar? He should know what to do or have a partner that knows what to do. If hes a newbie in Thailand with no connections, hes gonna get a lot of hassle like this.

So what can you offer as experience in this to help the guy out. Have you ever had a bar or biz that had to do this type of thing? Please let us know your story of how you dealt with it.

britmaverick, how do you decide to what level you have to go to get this done?

Edited by SnakeBite

So what can you offer as experience in this to help the guy out. Have you ever had a bar or biz that had to do this type of thing? Please let us know your story of how you dealt with it.

Pay the police and be done with it. There are far worse things that can happen to your mate especially if he doesnt pay.

Go to another bar "owned" by a foreigner and ask. Should have done that before buying a bar of course! I hear from a long time barowner i know it is not that big a deal. But your "friend" is new so be prepared for a lot of hassle by people trying to squeeze the most out of you.

He probably paid a few million for a bar so there must be some money to get.

Have a friend that is taking over a bar in the patpong area and he is being inundated with mafia types and police suggesting he pay for some kind of protection. I would like to know a few things about this.

1) Is this the norm?

3) How much do you pay?

Would be interesting to see the comments here from any bars or any kind of biz that is or is not paying for this.

Tell him to sell it and look elsewhere. You buy a bar in Patpong without knowing the score? Everyone gets ripped off there.So if he goes through with it he'll have to rip off the customers to pay police and mafia. :o

1) Is this the norm?

3) How much do you pay?

1) Yes norm

2) They should have known that before buying the bar, but the cops will tell you who to pay. Ask another owner.

3) How big is the bar? How many seats? They will let you know what they want.

4) You don’t want to know this answer

5) This would make a good conversation piece; the cops would shiz their pants laughing then ram the whole mess down your throat.

6) See #5

7) Owned 3 bars, glad I don’t now. I paid 15K PM at Patpong but that was 27 years ago. Queens Park is 2 to 5k depending on size.

Suggestion sell the bar :o

The two happiest days of a bar owner in Patpong is the Opening day and the day you sell it. :D

I leave it all to my Thai eife who knows the score. If anyone asks about me then I tell them that I don't own the bars at all! (Very true since they are in her name...) I told her at the start that if she wanted the bars in her name then she would have to handle all the hassle that went with that. So far so good....

(And now that 2 of our bars are for sale she has made it very clear that every baht paid for the bars goes staright into my bank account, not hers:)

britmaverick, how do you decide to what level you have to go to get this done?

My friend has a bar with Thai partner, they pay the police, but not a great deal as his Thai partner has good connections with the police in the area. I suggest your friend pays up and gets 'connected' pretty soon.

I know from Thai friends that it costs 1.000.000 Baht keymoney/teamoney/whatever to get a job at Silom Police..... therefore, they look for ways to get it back..... its like a long chain...... everybody tries to make some benefit from it.....

I know from Thai friends that it costs 1.000.000 Baht keymoney/teamoney/whatever  to get a job at Silom Police.

Really :D Well i never knew that :o

Me neither :D

I looked at buying a bar but was warned off by people I knew here for exactly this reason, you are opening a can of worms that you can't deal with UNLESS you are very clued up.

I would be interested to know what the going rate is a month for "protection" from either the Boys in Brown or the Mafia types?

Some bars pay, some bars don't!

Bottom line is- If you want to bend the rules and be protected a bit then you pay the boys in brown.

If you want to be squeaky clean and close on time everynight and not bend any rules then you don't pay, if your legal then stand your ground.

Mafia in pattaya?????? Bkk maybe.

I know from Thai friends that it costs 1.000.000 Baht keymoney/teamoney/whatever  to get a job at Silom Police.

Your talking close to 8 digits for a big spot in pattaya's boys in brown :o

Your talking close to 8 digits for a big spot in pattaya's boys in brown :D

So your'e saying, to actually join the force you have to pay? Or you pay just to get the right spot when your'e already in?

The last one. :D (once your qualified enough i suppose)

:o Dave I prefered your old avitar, made you look a man of substance, not to mention MENACE this one makes you look.. well I won't say, just my opinion but this one is just NOT you mate.

Cheers

TP

PS i know who he is, maybee if you want a character from LB pick The hotel owner, cant look any more ridiculous than the one you have now. NO OFFENCE INTENDED MATE. You may dislike my Avitar and it is your perogative to say so, but knowing you a long time , it just aint you mate.

I know its off topic, but every time I see you and the Avitar together I cringe, because your posts are worthy, your Avitar reflects someone with a pea brain

Your talking close to 8 digits for a big spot in pattaya's boys in brown :D

So your'e saying, to actually join the force you have to pay? Or you pay just to get the right spot when your'e already in?

The last one. :D (once your qualified enough i suppose)

:D Dave I prefered your old avitar, made you look a man of substance, not to mention MENACE this one makes you look.. well I won't say, just my opinion but this one is just NOT you mate.

Cheers

TP

PS i know who he is, maybee if you want a character from LB pick The hotel owner, cant look any more ridiculous than the one you have now. NO OFFENCE INTENDED MATE. You may dislike my Avitar and it is your perogative to say so, but knowing you a long time , it just aint you mate.

I know its off topic, but every time I see you and the Avitar together I cringe, because your posts are worthy, your Avitar reflects someone with a pea brain

I have a good ear and this one screams "DUMB ASS" oh well everyone has an opinion as they do ..., :D

Avitar says something like what? Peeeee youuuuuu or was that :o

or sumthin LMAO

:D

Don’t worry what people think they don’t do it very often.

IMHO, and with respect to those that have been there and done that,

There is only one Mafia in Thailand and that is the Boys in Brown.

If a Thai should come to your bar, restaurant or whatever establishment in plain clothes with an offer you can’t refuse, he has either been sent there by the BIB or he is a chancer, sent by a bunch of chancers, going under the heading of mafia with a small m, (which means the BIB will come down on him / them like the proverbial ton of bricks as soon as they find out), or as soon as you make them aware.

In my experience the Boys usually carry out the negotiations by themselves, (in full uniform in broad daylight), I have seen them “dropping in” to chat with the new owner about security and “how we can help”, and “oh by the way for special consideration and quick response time you will need to pay this premium”, or words to that effect, leaving you or your darling Mia in no doubt that this is not an option.

If you open an establishment in LOS you will have to take the tea money into account. You will have to budget for it, how much depends on where you are and how much the BIB perceive you are profiting from your business.

Sometimes they get their sums wrong and put you out of business, sometimes you can live with it. If you’re smart and handle it right,

you can both live with it and make some profit at the same time.

There may be some areas that are left alone. Well know tourist areas for example, (Yeh, right).

The BIB does have a reputation to consider, after all.

Which brings me to Davey, glad to hear you do not have this kind of bother mate? “as far as you know”. (Good on ye).

PS

I have always been wary of any communiqué that’s begins with “A friend of mine”, or such like, usually means “I”.

I could be horribly wrong here, but I think this post was either made by a guy who is relatively new to Thailand and is sitting on a bar stool, thinking of opening a bar, ( now there’s a novel idea), or has been here a long time but still doesn’t have a clue, rather like me.

chechoie,

Didn't post this for myself but for a friend. He has been here for quite awhile and I think he knows a bit but it never hurts to ask for more info or any kind of help. I've been here a few years now and don't have that kind of dosh to buy a bar. Me I would look at it as just paying the BIB money to do security in some way to keep the bad guys away and take care of the idiots that play up in the place. I just wanted to know what the guys on TV do in this instance.

I want to thank everyone for their insight and help.