• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Years ago, I bought a pair of Cobra shoes,

just thought I needed a pair,

cobra%20shoes.jpg

People started calling me Cobra for short,

the shoes are long gone but the name stuck,

One friend saw them and said all you need now is a cheap polyester jacket and you'd look just like a tacky Las Vegas P. I. , hence the Avatar, Cobra, Private Investigator .... :o

Thaipwriter came to me in a moment of minor genius, when it suddenly occured to me most of what i write is tripe that is Thailand related.

I will have to create a new one soon as I tend to get banned every now and then for slagging people off. maybe i will come back as 5hitewriter? :o

I have been asked many times what my user name "Narachon" means.

It's originally a made-up compound Japanese word, using the prefix of "Chonga" but I have been told on more than once occasion by Thais that "Narachon" is actually a real Thai name....  :o

The word "Chonga" is a Japanese word originally an expression from Korea.

"Chong gag" which means a traditional  knotted hairstyle worn by Korean boys and unmarried men.

In the early 20th century, Korean guys began to cut their hair western style, so the word "chong gag" became the accepted term for bachelor. Before and during World War Two, millions of Koreans where brought to Japan as forced laborers, military draftees, etc. so millions of Korean words gradually found their way into colloquial Japanese language, especially the slang of the Japanese underworld.

So now "Chonga" is the most popular word for Bachelor in Japan.

Chonga seikatsu 'tte, naka ii yo na!

( "Bachelor life is great!" )  :D

A recent linguistic trend coming from the Kansai dialect has the decription of an out of town "chonga" in a snappy, funny way by adding the first syllable or two of his hometown to the prefix, now suffix of "chon"...

Fukuchon.  A bachelor from Fukuoka.

Sachon.  A bachelor from Sapporo.

Sakachon. A bachelor from (O)saka.

Nara and Himeji are two of my most favorite towns in Japan.... :D

"Himechon" just did not sound right ( And it would  mean "Princess Bachelor" in Japanese..... :D )

So I went with "Narachon"...... A Bachelor from Nara  :D

( Technically I should be called "Newchon", or "Jamaichon" , being from the town of Jamaica, in New York City, but Narachon sound so much cooler...  :D  )

"Narachon Aitsu Torendii...Guu na yatsu da!"... :D

Wow, where did you learn all that (obviously in Japan?)? All this time being a Japanese for almost 40 years I never knew what they meant, this is a completely new knowledge for me. Although I knew word "chon" can be derogatory term for Koreans.

My handle name Nordlys = Norwegian word for northern light (Aurora Borealis). Just happened to have seen it in Norway on the deck of a coastal liner named "Nordlys".

Edited by Nordlys

(<deleted> is Burdock anyway?)

:D

Burdock :o

totster :D

A big thanks for that link Tozza/Tozzie/Toz :D

I did kinda figure it was plant though. The only time I recall having ever seen the name was on a pop bottle when I was a kid. ....Or so I thought. When I saw the photo of it in the link I realised that it was the same plant that we used to call a 'Doc Leaf'.

Whenever we got stung by nettles we'd look for a doc leaf and then rub it on the rash caused by the nettles.

Of course!......Doc = Dock. Dock is short for Burdock.

Crikey! It's only taken me 40+years to figure that out. :D

I have been asked many times what my user name "Narachon" means.

It's originally a made-up compound Japanese word, using the prefix of "Chonga" but I have been told on more than once occasion by Thais that "Narachon" is actually a real Thai name....  :D

The word "Chonga" is a Japanese word originally an expression from Korea.

"Chong gag" which means a traditional  knotted hairstyle worn by Korean boys and unmarried men.

In the early 20th century, Korean guys began to cut their hair western style, so the word "chong gag" became the accepted term for bachelor. Before and during World War Two, millions of Koreans where brought to Japan as forced laborers, military draftees, etc. so millions of Korean words gradually found their way into colloquial Japanese language, especially the slang of the Japanese underworld.

So now "Chonga" is the most popular word for Bachelor in Japan.

Chonga seikatsu 'tte, naka ii yo na!

( "Bachelor life is great!" )  :D

A recent linguistic trend coming from the Kansai dialect has the decription of an out of town "chonga" in a snappy, funny way by adding the first syllable or two of his hometown to the prefix, now suffix of "chon"...

Fukuchon.  A bachelor from Fukuoka.

Sachon.  A bachelor from Sapporo.

Sakachon. A bachelor from (O)saka.

Nara and Himeji are two of my most favorite towns in Japan.... :D

"Himechon" just did not sound right ( And it would  mean "Princess Bachelor" in Japanese..... :D )

So I went with "Narachon"...... A Bachelor from Nara  :D

( Technically I should be called "Newchon", or "Jamaichon" , being from the town of Jamaica, in New York City, but Narachon sound so much cooler...  :D  )

"Narachon Aitsu Torendii...Guu na yatsu da!"... :D

Wow! I like your creativeness. :o

And I thought I was being creative naming my daughter Hana. As you know it means Flower in Japanese but sounds the same as the western names of Hanna or Hannah. Plus, my wife's name was Dokmai which is Thai for Flower, so I figured why not? Seeing that a beautiful flower was created from another beautiful flower. :D

My yahoo nick is maybe more realistic than my handle here,

when I created the yahoo name I was to dumb to write "farang" correct.

In real I use in thailand a nick my ex wife gave me : moo aon

It´s pretty idiotic, cause I´m not fat and thais actually use it only

for really fat ppl, but my german firstname is nearly impossible

to speak and remember for thais, so I use this name since years.

It works great, they hear it, laugh and hardly forget it again ever.

Karl

Edited by mai_chop_gohok

• 2 weeks later...
Years ago, I bought a pair of Cobra shoes,

just thought I needed a pair,

cobra%20shoes.jpg

People started calling me Cobra for short,

the shoes are long gone but the name stuck,

One friend saw them and said all you need now is a cheap polyester jacket and you'd look just like a tacky Las Vegas P. I. , hence the Avatar, Cobra, Private Investigator ....  :D

I dont know the skin is from real Cobra, if yes.... :o

Two poor Cobra's are killed after all for your shoes. Please don't buy and encourage these killing and selling f$$kers. You might be arrested in some countries wearing or carrying for this. Already we have f**ked the nature enough. Now you can see Flooding, Tsunami and drought, more than enough. Our Eco system is already spoiled.

There are many very educated Farang's are buying this in the streets of Bangkok becuase they cannot find these speces in their own country, please kindly stop these.

Your name is 'guess what?'  :D

:o

Reminds me of Monty Python's "Mr. Smoke Too Much":

Tourist: My name is Smoke-Too-Much. Mr Smoke-Too-Much.

Bounder: Well, you'd better cut down a bit then.

Tourist: What?

Bounder: You'd better cut down a bit then.

Tourist: Oh I see! Cut down a bit, for Smoke-Too-Much.

Bounder: Yes, ha ha ... I expect you get people making jokes about your

name all the time, eh?

Tourist: No, no actually. Actually, it never struck me before. Smoke

...Too...Much!

And my nick means absolutely nothing. :D

no Aussie would want to be known by Jonathon surely

The only Jonathon that I ever met in Oz was an apple. :o

In England, "Johnny" is (or was) slang for condom;

In South Africa, "Johnny" is slang for shark.

Which led to this amusing exchange between a South African friend visiting England and a Brit:

UK: Not going swimming ?

SA: No.

UK: Why not ?

SA: I'm worried there might be a lot of Johnnies in the water...

(but this was Cornwall, not Bournemouth :D )

I'm called dave and i live in thailand :D

I'm younger than your average expatriate bear.

:D

JxP

How young? Hope your younger than me, that would take away my "young" label :D

Took me a while to spot this reply - sorry Ice Maiden :D

The key word is 'average' :D I'm young enough to claim youth over the average expat but old enough to second tukyleith's comments :o and old enough to miss vinyl :D (yes there was music before CDs!)

JxP :D