Anyone Have Experience With Fuengfa Place?

Genericnic

I am retiring to Thailand and will arrive in Chiang Mai the 2nd week in February. I am considering staying in a serviced apartment for a month while I look around for some place long term.

Does anyone have any experience with Fuengfa Place? The rates look reasonable and the location is not bad. Any reason not to stay there?

Thanks

David

Staff is very nice and honest, location is good. They provide TV and free wifi, but it is a very basic studio. They clean once a week I believe. It is more a "Thai" or "Guesthouse" accommodation than what we would call a "serviced apartment" (though that at that price that's something I guess you already expect). The only negative to me was that my bed was as hard as rock. I wouldn't want to live there long term, but it's ok for a month.

PS: there's aircon in the room, and my electricity bill was very low at the end of the month.

Edited by thedistillers

I stayed there a month and my experience of it was akin to thedistillers - good deal all around. Rooms are not big, no armchair, beds Thai-hard, but very able staff and extremely clean. I moved then to the Loft because a two-room residence hotel was much more roomy and as I had rented a motorbike I did not need to stay inside the moat.

Edited by CMX

I stayed there a month and my experience of it was akin to thedistillers - good deal all around. Rooms are not big, no armchair, beds Thai-hard, but very able staff and extremely clean. I moved then to the Loft because a two-room residence hotel was much more roomy and as I had rented a motorbike I did not need to stay inside the moat.

CMX -- Loft looks like a good place, would you recommend it?

I have a friend who lived there for a while (a year I think) and had experience similar to what's been outlined here. Clean, good staff, room basic but consistent with the price. The road it's on is quiet. The location is excellent -- kind of midway between Nimmanheiman and the Thapae/Night Bazaar area, so it would be a good place to stay for a month or two while you get your bearings and decide which part of town would make the most sense for long-term accomodation.

Regarding The Loft

My interest was more space, as I was going to continue in town for 2-3 months (and then decide to lease a house, as it turned out). If it's just a room, I'd go with Fuengfa Place - location just inside the moat, but not hectic. On the other hand, if one wants a bedroom with its air-con and a general room with another - and porch - (no kitchen), the "apartments" at The Loft offer a great deal. However, The Loft when I was there was near night time entertainment that one could hear. Also, they have but one of these larger units per floor, so availability is an issue.

You might want to check both places for price of electricity (though it is not HOT now).

genericnic.

i booked a month in fuengfa in jan 09 to see if i wanted to live there but moved somewhere else after two weeks coz of the day and night barking of two small dogs at the front one at the side and one at the back ..... they may not all still be there ... but beware

as everyone has said the rooms are small and staff were very good .. room cleaned once a week bedding / towels but when i told them i was leaving coz of the dogs constant barking .... they said .... dogs ? .... what dogs ?

the loft ... i looked at living there as well but when someone told me its next to diffa a thai disco that starts 11 ish to 6 am i said bye bye

also i went past there a few weeks ago and the area in front of it has quite a few new bars which will probably generate noise all night as well

you have been warned : ) ... dave2

thedistillers.

the op s question was ......Anyone Have Experience With Fuengfa Place?

i did and gave my honest opinion ... you didnt ... you know when i stayed there ... what month / year did you stay there coz you forgot to say ?

just interested : ) ... dave2

Thanks all for the feedback.

I will be staying at a guesthouse for the first day or two after I arrive in CM so I will be able to get a first hand look at Fuengfa Place before making a decision. I appreciate the information from those of you that have actually had dealings with the place. Since it will only be for a month or so, I am not too worried about the size. Being a sound sleeper, I doubt that the dogs would be an issue. :)

Best to all

David

PLEASE do NOT stay there !

otherwise I will not be able to get a room there for another six weeks in early January, as I found it to be the best value-for-small-money apartment anywhere in CNX (and I have checked around 15 places or so).

Friendly people (not much English spoken, though), spotless rooms, relatively quiet by Thai standards, and walking distance to KAD SUAN KAEW MALL (if you don't mind playing "frogger" a little when trying to cross busy ARAK ROAD at the Moat).

Again: Do NOT stay there, the room must be MINE ! :whistling:

otherwise I will not be able to get a room there for another six weeks in early January, as I found it to be the best value-for-small-money apartment anywhere in CNX

What I don't get is the references to it being an apartment- surely to be thus described it needs something to cook on/with?

genericnic

assuming you want that area for some reason ? you could look at this brand new place

750 yards from fuengfa @ 699 a night day rate and right on the corner of the moat by khud suang khew ( central )

obviously cheaper by the month but it might be worth a look

good luck ... dave2

otherwise I will not be able to get a room there for another six weeks in early January, as I found it to be the best value-for-small-money apartment anywhere in CNX (and I have checked around 15 places or so).

Friendly people (not much English spoken, though), spotless rooms, relatively quiet by Thai standards, and walking distance to KAD SUAN KAEW MALL (if you don't mind playing "frogger" a little when trying to cross busy ARAK ROAD at the Moat).

Again: Do NOT stay there, the room must be MINE ! :whistling:

I'm sure your room will be the other one. :)

David

genericnic

assuming you want that area for some reason ? you could look at this brand new place

750 yards from fuengfa @ 699 a night day rate and right on the corner of the moat by khud suang khew ( central )

obviously cheaper by the month but it might be worth a look

good luck ... dave2

Thanks dave2

Another place to check out.

David

I stayed at the Fueng Fa a couple of weeks in March this year. I liked it. Quiet, clean, ( i think they actually cleaned my room every day ) good internet , friendly staff . The size of the room was fine for me given i was only staying a couple of weeks. I will happily go back next time im there, although it wont be during the smoke season ( feb march ) again.

Just one thing about the Internet: I'm not sure if it's their provider or themselves, but they block any Internet address with the substring "avi" (and "torrents" too I think). So it means if you search "David" on Google for example, your page will be blocked as the resulting address will contain the "avi" substring. It can be extremely frustrating if you need to access specific pages.