How To Recover Data From A Faulty External Hard Disk?

Mobi

Here we go again. First I lost an overwritten file and now it seems I am in danger of losing my life long photo collection, literally thousands of pics.

They were all stored on a 120 gig external hard disk, connected to my pc by USB cable and the last time I accessed the disk there was no problems.

Last night I connected it to my laptop and got the message that the disk was corrupted and needed re-formatting. I declined to do this and continuously tried to disconnect and reconnect on different USB ports and even on a second computer in the hope that it may bring up the data one last time so that I could copy it elsewhere.

Unfortunately no success, and eventually the disk failed to even show on my pc at all - even as a corrupt disk. All I get is the connection USB 'noise signal', but nothing on the screen.

I have taken the disk out of it's box and reconnected it another box - still nothing. I have also put a 'good' external disk in the box that contained the bad disk and it works OK, so it is not the box electronics.

When I first connect the bad disk I can hear a knocking sound. Two knocks then a whirring. This repeats several times before coming to a silent halt.

Googling this problem has indicated that the heads inside the disk have stuck and there is little I can do to fix it. However there is one suggestion that involves freezing the disk for a couple of hours and then quickly connecting it before it warms up. Apparently freezing the disk will release the heads in 60% of cases, but as soon as the disk warms up it will stop working again and become permanently damaged. As it only takes a few minutes for the disk to warm up, there is no way I can transfer thousand of pics in such a short time.

I assume I could send the disk to a data recovery service but this could prove extremely costly so naturally I am reluctant to do this.

Any bright ideas, anyone?? :o

You will have to balance the value of your data to you with the cost of recovery. Doing anything will lessen the chance of recovering the data. Sending it to a good proffessional data recovery place will almost certainly recover most of the data if it has not been ruined by attemted recovery by amaturs,

What I did with such disks is to bang it switched off with the side on a hard surface - but not that you brake it - so carefully. If this did not work than I switched them on and did this when they were running. ALL disks so far recovered and worked without any problems afterwards and this for years - they still work so I cannot say when they will stop. But it is risky. And always use the side in an exact 90 degree angle and nothing else. Especially if the disk is running always bang only one time to avoid that you bang again when it is working already. That can give an ugly head crash. BUT AGAIN IT IS RISKY. The other and better option is to look for a data recovery company. This is not so risky but more expensive <_<But whatever you do don't blame me for it afterwards if it did not work.

For the future - think about backup disks. Disk are so cheap in the meantime. I have 3 TB mirrored. The 3 TB are Raid 0. If this breaks it takes me only a couple of minutes to continue with 3 TB backups not in RAID. And if this brakes there is still a disk with the most important data in a safety deposit box at a bank.

Although I stand by what I said about professional recovery being the only safe solution it may be worth going to the disk maker's website and downloading the appropriate disc tools for the drive. Run these and if they work breathe a sigh of relief..Then Backup fast.

Edited by harrry

We've all been there. Now we all back up regularly.. ;o)

1. It is true, the more you try to fix this, the more you reduce the chances of a professional being able to recover your files. Be very careful what you try.

2. The freezing stunt seems to work. From what I've read, if this gets it going, the drive will operate until hot AND powered off. I think this would be worth a try, but be sure to put it in a dry watertight bag before freezing.

3. "Banging" is very high risk, especially if you don't know in what direction the heads need to go (because you can't see them) and where banging would provide the force to move them. Maybe the manufacturer lists an exploded drawing you could use to your advantage if you employ this technique.

4. Electrical damage would be easier. Each drive has a small controller board attached to it via torx screws and a cable. Its the board the connectors are attached to. I've saved data in the past by buying a like (exactly, same model number, series, version, etc) drive and switching this boards, then retrieving my data..

2. The freezing stunt seems to work. From what I've read, if this gets it going, the drive will operate until hot AND powered off. I think this would be worth a try, but be sure to put it in a dry watertight bag before freezing.

This was the method I used when same thing happened to me. I put drive in zip lock bag and placed in freezer overnight then quickly connected in morning. Worked great and was able to transfer data to another drive.

Have you powered the PC down and up and down then up again with it plugged in. If not safely removed they can act funny and this often gets them sorted. Its free to try and only takes a few minutes. I have had flash drives come back from the dead this way as well.

Most of us have been down this road at least once. In my case two times and I have been bitten both times. Try to find a data recovery service but it will be expensive. My last situation would have cost me over 500 USD or more and I was not willing to pay that much so I lost the data,,,,,,,,as you many photos and music files that I neglected to save to another location. If you play you will pay at some point. Learn from this lesson and always keep at least 2 copies on different media if possible.