Colorful Private Car Plate Numbers

CroBiker

Here in Phuket I see some of the reg plate shops have some for sale on occasions.

On auctions they are usually sold between 20k and 1,5 million baht depending on reg number

If you dont mind the white plate, you can swap to any reg number at DLT, I just did on my Ninja 650R at 635 baht. Simply bring book and registered owner apply, if your number is not availabe on day of appication they let you que and call you when it comes up, at least if you make the 635 baht to 700 baht :) .

Sure there are plenty of those web sites... One is called "Tabiendee"...

They do buy and sell plates of nice colours...

Ps, what number do you want? I am considering to sell my 666 (first auction)

The nice thing about these numbers are that you can keep the plate and move it to your next car all the time. Sometimes they even increase in price...

We dont have too much money, I have 500b to spend until the end of the week for food, petrol, fun...

We just have some different priorities from other people...

Down here in NST the local toyota dealer is selling some really expensive numbers... He offered to help me sell mine- since he likes 666 (i know because I outbid him during the auction)...

Very nice colours on some of them... I do like the Bangkok plate, but the NST is still my fav. The phuket, and Songkhla plates look silly (but that is just me)

What if we were to post our plates up and we could have a debate on which design is the best? Anyone up for that???

There's quite a few websites selling sought after license plates:

http://www.lovetabien.com/

http://ams.unseencar.com/plate/

http://www.tabienrod...n_detail/id/181

Cool, thanks.

Sure there are plenty of those web sites... One is called "Tabiendee"...

They do buy and sell plates of nice colours...

Ps, what number do you want? I am considering to sell my 666 (first auction)

The nice thing about these numbers are that you can keep the plate and move it to your next car all the time. Sometimes they even increase in price...

I am not buying, have 2 sets right now. Want to sell one set, it just collects dust in storage room.

You should be aware that if your numbers have not been registered on a car for three years your ownership is automatically cancelled - the DLT often forget to warn buyers of this. Presumably your numbers are not on your car, Snowflake, if your avatar is yours, as they can only be registered to 4 door pick-ups?

You should be aware that if your numbers have not been registered on a car for three years your ownership is automatically cancelled - the DLT often forget to warn buyers of this. Presumably your numbers are not on your car, Snowflake, if your avatar is yours, as they can only be registered to 4 door pick-ups?

Good piece of info, wasn't aware of that.Thanks.

I know, and that is why I left the plates on the Jazz, which is still in my name :-)

Last years auction started with the plates could be used on ANY car/pickup- so if you bought it then, you could put it on a 2 door pick up... Its annoying that I can not put it on mine... I bought the plates a long time ago...

But true it is, and a very good comment for most people, they will expire after a time of no usage...

Yes, I have sold the car, but the person that is using it is my friends cousin and it is still in my name (girl drives it now)... Soon, It will come off, as I will either buy a new car or sell the plates...

For anyone thinking of buying plates as an investment rather than just their own use, or even just for their own use, you can get much better deals buying at auctions (as well as a free lunch and snacks!) than from dealers - often some 25 - 50% less. Its also worth bearing in mind that the letters can also have considerable meaning for Thais, and that our lucky numbers may not be the same as yours: 666 isn't the devil's number to us (4 is), nor is 13 (except that it adds up to 4) and 8 (particularly for Thai Chinese) or 9 are better than 1.

"Too much money" - come on, they're still a lot cheaper than they would be in the West. I couldn't help feeling that some of the signs at the last auction I went to recently (2 farangs, one spent over a million for two plates) were a bit over the top, though : Better to lose money than lose face !

I do like the 666 as it adds up to 9, 6+6+6=18= 1+8=9, lots of time to figure out that one at the table when my mates were playing cards... Pok Deng I think the game is called?

I just like 666, I don't like the 1 or 2 numbers and 4 is too long, 3 numbers are good and I like number 6, which is pronounced (sex) in my native sounds...)