Cd Store In Bkk - The Physical Kind

chrgrims

actually, there are no more decent "physical" CD-stores in Thailand.

CD WAREHOUSE in Emporium was the "last of the Mohicans" until it closed 2 years ago or so.

same happened to the big TOWER Records stores that I knew in KL at KLCC and at Midvalley.

the last remaining option nowadays is HMV in Singapore, and they have actually opened a new store at Orchard just last year or so (closing down the other one which was a giant 2-storey-operation).

everytime I am at SG, I am having a look there and usually spend 200 S$, though their staff is completely ignorant and clueless.

they do have a decent Jazz and Classical-Section, even that's actually not my cup of tea (I go for the NOISE instead ^^ )

Rex has a lot of guitar oriented music -- jazz, blues and rock. Most (not all) is pirated copies.

The only 'stand alone' CD music shop I know of is on the 4th flr of paragon. They have jazz and classical sections. Also, first floor B2S in Central World has a bigger than most (these days) selection of jazz and classical.

No cd stores, can't download from iTunes, shipping costs from Amazon are atrocious, and they wonder why some people download illegally?

actually, there are no more decent "physical" CD-stores in Thailand.

CD WAREHOUSE in Emporium was the "last of the Mohicans" until it closed 2 years ago or so.

same happened to the big TOWER Records stores that I knew in KL at KLCC and at Midvalley.

the last remaining option nowadays is HMV in Singapore, and they have actually opened a new store at Orchard just last year or so (closing down the other one which was a giant 2-storey-operation).

everytime I am at SG, I am having a look there and usually spend 200 S$, though their staff is completely ignorant and clueless.

they do have a decent Jazz and Classical-Section, even that's actually not my cup of tea (I go for the NOISE instead ^^ )

Yes i agree with THAIIBAN that with the demise of CD Warehouse and Tower Records there is not many stores that provide too much for anybody with musical interests outside of the narrow mainstream.I occaisionally find something interesting in jazz in Boomerang but that is a rarity. Usually their idea of Jazz begins ands ends with Kenny G -(enough said about Kenny G !!!!!) .

I use CD Universe on the net and their freight costs are not too bad (to Oz anyway) but their selection is becoming more narrow as well.

When i am in LOS i am now tending towards exploring Thai traditional ,Classical and Thai jazz now. I do find it it is very difficult to learn about Thai musical forms - most Thais do not see their music as art form to collect and intellectulize the way we westerers do, and those stalls in MBK, Pantip and other markets have some great music but they do expect u to know what u want (not too much English is spoken and my Thai is not good enough to discuss music) and they are generally surprised a falung wants to hear "old" music.