Thongma Named New Stock Billionaire

Thongma named new stock billionaire

By The Nation

med_gallery_327_1086_10834.jpg

Thongma Vijitpongpun becomes the new richest man in the Thai stock market, as his stock holding is valued the highest at Bt31 billion as of end-September, according to the survey by Money and Banking Magazine and Chulalongkorn University's Faculty of Commerce and Accountancy.

Trailing behind was Keeree Kanjanapas, with combined stock holding worth Bt17.8 billion which was 50,000 per cent higher than the same period last year. Anant Asvabhokin, the champion for several years, fell to the third place, with holding worth Bt17.6 billion.

In the 17th survey, 5,495 investors whose hold 0.5 per cent or higher in listed companies' shares were included. Their combined stock investment was valued at Bt690.23 billion, up 51.88 per cent or Bt235.77 billion from the same period last year.

The increasing value was mainly attributable to the sharp rise in the stock market this year. As of September 30, the SET Index rose 258.23 points to 975.30 points from last year, or an increase of 36.01 per cent.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-12-14

Thongma Vijitpongpun becomes the new richest man in the Thai stock market, as his stock holding is valued the highest at Bt31 billion

Good for Thongma that the Shinawatra clan divested from their 50 Billion Baht stock market portfolio:

Thaksin's Daughter Thailand's Richest Stockholder

If my math is correct, 31 Billion Baht = just over 1 Billion US Dollars, right? Is it just me, or are there (proportionally) a LOT more rich/super rich Thais/Thai-Chinese than there are equivalent in the "west"?

Yes your 'maths' is correct. And yes, there are a lot more wealthy individuals here than you get to know. Most don't take a headline for fear of being a target.

If my math is correct, 31 Billion Baht = just over 1 Billion US Dollars, right? Is it just me, or are there (proportionally) a LOT more rich/super rich Thais/Thai-Chinese than there are equivalent in the "west"?

If by rich you mean billionaires &

If by west you mean USA then.... Only if Thailand has 93 Billionaires

USA= 403 billionaires / 300 million population

Thailand = ?? billionaires/ 70 million population

Top Ten Countries as of March 2010

Rank Country Number of billionaires

1 United States 403

2 China 128

3 India 69

4 Russia 62

5 Germany 53

6 United Kingdom 29

7 Turkey 28

8 Hong Kong SAR, China 25

9 Canada 24

10 Japan 22

10 Indonesia 22

Judging by this list...I doubt Thailand has 93

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_the_number_of_US_dollar_billionaires

Edited by flying

I was probably not meaning "billionaires" per se here, more that it seems to me that there are a lot more VERY wealthy people here in Thailand than there were in the west . . . or maybe I'm just not running in the right circles and never noticed them anywhere else lol