Radar Detectors

Heh, when you find THE radar let us know :D

The cops have recently (in the last year or so) discovered radar speed traps, but have only a few (maybe even one). I've seen it operating on the highway, set up just short of a toll, with a catcher on each open toll gate to get the unlucky few. :D

The normal method for speed detection is to set up a spotter just before a road toll or restriction, see a farang in a decent car, radio ahead, stop him for 'speeding'. :o

NOTE: Actual velocity of the vehicle has nothing to do with it :D

To answer your question, probably illegal (most things that are not regular radios are), but no cop will ever have seen one so I'm sure you're quite safe.

So it is strictly subject....   "You drive fast, you pay now..."

Got it in one :o

Actually more like 'You drive, you pay now'.

It's not just farangs either, Thais have identical problems, although their 'fines' are usually smaller by a factor of 10 or so. My stepson got pulled for 'having a number plate that was too big', '200 Baht please'. His plates look identical to mne, and all the others I've seen.

There are numerous threads regarding 'traffic offences', read, enjoy and beware !!

On a positive tack, every time I've seen the radar set up it's been pointing in the direction of traffic flow, meaning that you can see it before it gets you.

Edited by Crossy

Police here will never stop you for speeding itself. On highways they usually set up road posts where you can't drive in the right lane (provincial roads) and get you for that. In Bangkok most of the time you'll see traffic cops actually waving at you to move faster. They'll fine you for illegal entering/exiting/u-turns, not for speed.

They've got radars, just as every classroom in Thailand theoretically has got computers, but they use them sparingly, on big holidays, on selected roads, only. Often they can't detect the speed of individual vehicles and if you want to defend yourself in court they can't prove anything.

Generally just be a nice guy, pay 200 baht tops, and drive on. Everyone wins.

The cops have recently (in the last year or so) discovered radar speed traps, but have only a few (maybe even one). I've seen it operating on the highway, set up just short of a toll, with a catcher on each open toll gate to get the unlucky few.  :o

You must have seen it at Don Muang tollway haven't you?

I've seen cops using speed gun almost every morning on my way to work last week (or the week before that) driving past the Don Muang tollway. They were hiding at expressway exit at Jeang Watthana ramp and when they're there, there are always bunch of cops waiting for the offenders at toll booth immediately after the airport.

And yes, cops here do catch drivers for speeding violation. Me and my brother were both pulled over on Don Muang expressway for speeding last year (on different occasions). I was only going at 107km so the cop let me go after I insisted on receiving a ticket (rather than to bribe him) but my brother was going too fast not only the cop didn't take an offer for bribe but they suspended my brother's license for almost a month and made him pay a big fine (well, don't remember the figure but a few thousands).

Edited by Nordlys

I just went to Don Muang tollway (inbound) last week to check the traffic - it's getting terrible were I usually drive. The only police I saw were the ones helping with merging the lanes at the romps. The speed was about 60 nearly all the way.

Today I took Don Muang outbound in the early afternoon and I haven't seen any cops at all. I admit that there are cops occasionally in the Chaeng Wattana area (that's how it's spelled on the tollway signs, if you haven't noticed) and that people seem to slow down a bit, but I've never seen the police doing anything as dramatical as pulling people over - on the expressway, with 120 km/h as a legal limit. Perhaps they catch only those who exit - wait for them on the ropms, and let the rest go about their ways.

Good tip, anyway. Will look out. General rule - don't stick out of traffic in front of cops and they won't single you out.

They will pull you over at toll booths after the airport where tolls are no longer collected but where people slow down to drive between the toll boths. Never seen cops on inbound lanes either. Are you sure Don Muang tollway speed limit is 120km/h? I've seen signs that say 80 but not sure if it's 80 all the way through till the end of the tollway or just partially. I was caught driving at 107km/h (that's what the cop said) there.

The speed limit on the Don Muang tollway is definately 80k's there are signs every 1km or so saying just that.

Both times I've been done for 'speeding' is at the toll (unused) after the airport going out of town (the Rangsit turn), at the 'public holiday' vehicle stopping excercise. Note to self -- don't go there on public holidays or sundays.

Yes, you DO get stopped for speeding, the man says 'you do 95, pay now?'. I've also been done for using a bus lane when turning left (actually I didn't turn, it was the wrong road), got done 300 for that, but so did others and I got a ticket, so fair enough.

Every time I've seen the radar operating it's been outside rush hour on a weekday, positioned just before the Prachachun (50 Baht) toll on the expressway coming in from Chaeng Watthana. They have it hiding at the top of the previous on ramp and catch people at the toll.

EDIT- I remember reading this earlier this year that the cops had just got their first radar (can't fint the article now), so it is a fairly new thing here.

Edited by Crossy