Christmas Dinner

robbiecia

Just looking for a few ideas and recommendations on where to eat Christmas day. I'm in the BKK area.

Had a look in the villa.......3500 baht for a 5 kilo cooked turkey (wow $110, and that's before any of the trimmings )

Most of the pubs seem to be in the 1500-2000 baht range and that doesn't include drinks ( nearly $200 for two with drinks)

I would imagine the good hotels would be even more.

Do any of you out there have any recommendations on where to find a good dinner at a reasonable price over the holidays?

Cheers

Edited by robbiecia

Thank F@@K i dont live in bkk i would rather eat a hotdog or mama noodle from 7-11 than pay them prices

So i will be spending xmas in the local falang bar up in my little village up in Issan.

dinner will be a pork and duck leg buffet with all the the trimming free home made punch and free wine.

ok its not like the xmas dinners mam would make but for 350 baht a head you can complain rolleyes.gif

TOPS are doing the cooked Turkeys for 2,490 Baht for a 5-6 kg bird including gravy and stuffing.

Hotels seem to be in the region of 1400 - 2000 Baht. The Landmark for instance is 1400 baht, I presume it's similar to their regular Sunday Carvery Buffet , which normally costs 700 Baht, they have also reduced the discount they give to their paid Club Landmark members from 50% to 20%, because it's a special promotion - yeah that's a good idea, lets double the price and call it a special promotion.

moonshine joint in queens park plaza a hop and skip away from bourbon has a free christmas dinner buffet, maybe sportsman and bullys pub will also have good grub on xmas day but at a good value price, its really the hotels who go way over price for xmas grub

"Reasonable price" is completely dependent upon the individual. Many TVers post "what's the best value", when they mean "what's the cheapest". The December issue of "Big Chili" covers many venues, from Xmas eve all the way through New Year's day. The prices run from 500THB to 30,000THB.

"Reasonable price" is completely dependent upon the individual. Many TVers post "what's the best value", when they mean "what's the cheapest". The December issue of "Big Chili" covers many venues, from Xmas eve all the way through New Year's day. The prices run from 500THB to 30,000THB.

In this case hhgz, reasonable really just means reasonable.

I don't intend to go cheap, i'm just looking for a good christmas lunch without paying a silly premium for it.

1000 baht a head not including drinks seems reasonable to me.

Upon checking some of the prices for some of the local Bkk eateries, 1500-2000 ++ not including drinks seems a tad over the top to me.

But then that's just me.

In this case hhgz, reasonable really just means reasonable.

I don't intend to go cheap, i'm just looking for a good christmas lunch without paying a silly premium for it.

1000 baht a head not including drinks seems reasonable to me.

Upon checking some of the prices for some of the local Bkk eateries, 1500-2000 ++ not including drinks seems a tad over the top to me.

But then that's just me.

I would definitely recommend spending as much as you can afford- pay a cheap price and you'll get some pretty nasty food (1000 would be at the cheaper end)- since its xmas well worth going to one of the 5 star hotels and having their xmas buffet.

and to the OPs question the most i paid was at Fullerton hotel in Singapore about 200 $ per person for their xmas buffet..v pricey, but amazing- free flow v. cliq champagne, unlimited fresh alaskan king crab amoung other thing

Edited by ExpatJ

I would definitely recommend spending as much as you can afford- pay a cheap price and you'll get some pretty nasty food (1000 would be at the cheaper end)- since its xmas well worth going to one of the 5 star hotels and having their xmas buffet.

Fine, but at least one hotel they are putting on a Christmas Buffet for 1400 Baht which is similar to their regular Sunday buffet that normally costs 700 Baht. Seems like blatant profiteering to me, it's not like they have to pay the staff extra to work on Christmas day.

Definitely Bourbon Street if I go to one this year, fantastic food and buffets there. They also do take away, 4000 for 5kg Cajun deep fried turkey with all the side dishes, also do individual turkeys, hams, ribs and side dishes.

Agreed price does not always equate to value. My recommendation would be either of the well known Irish bars on Silom price will be more than 500baht!!!! but its cooked well and they use good produce and have reasonable portions.

I hear you about prices in this city for foriegn holidays theese thai people think were made of money.

The hotels are absolutely brutal on the foreigner and will take advantage any time they can.

What goes around comes around and I see most of theese high priced buffets going out of business sooner or later

If you really look around you can find some good prices with great food.

If you are tight for money but want a good quality meal for Christmas lunch or dinner try the recently opened due to the fires GUSTOSO Resturant at Central World on the seventh floor.

: Pasta Station Carbonara,Bolognese,Aglio bacon,Arrabiata,Seafood(excellent taste)

Carving Station: Austrailian Beef, Pork Loin,Virginia Ham and Sea bass ( I have seen Turkey there at times)

2 kinds of soup and a full salad bar spread along with Italian cold cuts

Pizza thin crust, Japnese food sushi, sashimi , Chinese food dim sum, Seafood normally shrimp and squid fried and steamed

And of course Thai food many dishes lots of noodles Then a dessert station with coconut icecream and sticky rice and some jello and cake and free Beverage corner icetea punch and soft drinks.

ALL FOR ONLY 269++ THROUGH DECEMBER 2010 !!!!!!!!!

I HOPE thoose overpriced aholes loose thier butts on thier buffets

I you don't feel like going out, I know Food by Phone deliver Christmas dinners (on the 25th) from Bourbon Street and the Black Swan, in my opinion two great restaurants!

Bourbon Street's one is 775Bt, so fairly priced (and food there is usually very good). Black Swan's is with its 1600Bt quite expensive, but knowing the Black Swan you ll probably get a huge amount of good food for it!

Bourbon Street Restaurant has buffet on 24th and 25th for 899 baht.

Thanks for that ballbreaker

Bourbon street sounds like a good optionrolleyes.gif

Well, my wife and I went there last year with great expectations after them e-mailing the menu to us. However we were quite disappointed, thought that the food was probably only average and we certainly didn't like where we were seated. Maybe others will disagree..........You could poke your head in the place and have a look, to me it's basically a pub....guess just not what we expected. They did supply a little entertainment

Edited by John45