Man Eating Snakes

Thetyim

I know that we get some very big snakes here, but do they eat people ?

I have never read about anyone being eaten by a snake.

I found these three pictures of a snake eating a man.

I am only going to post two of them as the last one is a bit gory as it shows the snake cut open and the man inside.

post-624-1124604239_thumb.jpg

post-624-1124604278_thumb.jpg

Where are the pics from Indonesia?

I know of three incidences I think this one is from Indonesia, but it is a young girl not a man. There was another set of photos from a plantation in Malaysia.

post-17667-1124607092_thumb.jpg

Another I personally know of was a 15 year old boy, he was picking mushrooms in a cave and they could not get him and the snake out at the same time, the snake was too big. They also found 4 other sets of human remains in the cave.

Missing person’s case solved!

The snake in question is the Reticulated Python which can grow to 10 metres in length. They are non-toxic and kill by enveloping prey in their coils and suffocating the victim before swallowing it whole a feat they can perform by dislocating their jaws temporarily. They then hide for up to two weeks to digest the meal.

There are a number of documented cases of pythons swallowing or partly swallowing people but it is rare. Typically the victim would have to be sleeping or lying sick when the snake is doing its rounds looking for food which would be at ground level for a python big enough to swallow a person. To the opportunistic snake it matters not if its a pig, goat or human.

I have seen pythons that have swallowed pigs whole on three occasions on my travels. Always in very rural areas but have yet to see one filled with human remains.

Reticulated pythons and pythons of other species are common in Thailand. Captive and semi tame examples can be seen in the zoos and some temples. Some years ago there was a 14 footer in a temple on the tourist river tour route in BKK.

Of course, you can turn the tables and eat the snake!. It is not uncommon in rural areas for man to eat python. I have tried it. Some say it resembles chicken but to me it's more like cod!

Small pythons make amiable pets but as they grow and shed their skins and get bigger they become unmanageable.

Don't malalign them, most eat vermin such as rats so they do a good service and I would not object to one living in my garden.

I know that we get some very big snakes here, but do they eat people ?

I have never read about anyone being eaten by a snake.

I  found these three pictures of a snake eating a man.

I am only going to post two of them as the last one is a bit gory as it shows the snake cut open and the man inside.

post-624-1124604239_thumb.jpg

post-624-1124604278_thumb.jpg

RDN spotted one of these Retculated pyhtons just the other week and posted a pic in a recent topic. I think with these snakes they often have trouble getting past the shoulders on bigger people, but it doesn't matter as by that time they would have killed you anyway. :o

My friend was almost attacked by a Burmese Python in his shop once (the daughter snake of the one in Moonraker), but thats another story. :D

I have a one eyed trouser snake, that women like to eat :o

Must be because it's small and doesn't take long and then it's gone. :D:D:D:D

If its a lite snack where are they going for the main course? Or are you saying they diet?

I had a business partner who ended up with a ten foot python, burmese I think because it wasn't as colorful as the reticulated variety. Anyways, he kept it at our warehouse for awhile since he had no place for it. And get this he put it in a 35 gallon plastic rubbermaid trash can! To keep the snake inside he fliped the metal handles up to lock the lid shut. Yeah right. I came into the warehouse one night to do some work and knew the snake was on the prowl because the dog, a standard sized poodle, did not greet me at the door. I found the dog sniveling in a corner and I found the snake draped over the door I had walked in through. It wasn't big enough to eat me but it would have had a go at the dog. I hear they have a nasty bite too though we handled this one often. My partner was a nut.

we had a very big male aggressive burmese python ... we put a rooster in for him to eat and forgot that his albino female was there also, he started to swallow HER!!! (he struck at her instead of the rooster and once they grab, they dont let go until they've curled around their prey). we pulled her out of his mouth but of course the helper got his hand bitten and almost swallowed also (they have one way teeth, two sets of them)...

burmese are know for becoming very non user friendly with age and size; i'm 42 kilo and when i had to give antibiotic injections to ours(along his spine) , we used three people for handling... and when we went in his aquariam area (glass cage) we always went in with a broom and one person outside watching...

he once got loose and got to the rabbit area (a large walk in cage); he found a way in, but five rabbits later, he couldnt crawl back out...

an other time he entangled himself in some external electric wiring outside of his cage; we eventually found out where he was escaping from : he had pushed his ceiling fencing off its frame just enough to slide out (he was 4 meters long and very very strong)... never never never underestimate a large, hungry, or mature, snake even if they are only constrictors.

i only keep small constrictor types now....

For all the disbelievers out there. There could be bigger specimens than this one at a jungle near you! This one could swallow a baby elephant, never mind a human!

An amazing specimen:

49-foot python captured in Indonesia

983-lb creature believed to be world's largest

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3845750

includes photo and video footage link

• 1 month later...

These pics have been circulating on the net for years,

The first two are probably credible, where as the snake probably consumed a pig or similar, the 3rd showing a human has been determined to be digitally manipulated, :o

Anaconda3.jpg

RDN spotted one of these Retculated pyhtons just the other week and posted a pic in a recent topic.  I think with these snakes they often have trouble getting past the shoulders on bigger people, but it doesn't matter as by that time they would have killed you anyway.  :o

My friend was almost attacked by a Burmese Python in his shop once (the daughter snake of the one in Moonraker), but thats another story. :D

Here is the one that tried to cross the road:

img0070r6mv.jpg

img0071r5mf.jpg

And here is the one I saw at a festival:

img0276r7mh.jpg

img0277r4rr.jpg

img0280r4vj.jpg

img0279r8sb.jpg

Here's the thread: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=42192

we had a very big male aggressive burmese python ... we put a rooster in for him to eat and forgot that his albino female was there also, he started to swallow HER!!!  (he struck at her instead of the rooster and once they grab, they dont let go until they've curled around their prey). we pulled her out of his mouth but of course the helper got his hand bitten and almost swallowed also (they have one way teeth, two sets of them)...

burmese are know for becoming very non user friendly with age and size; i'm 42 kilo and when i had to give antibiotic injections to ours(along his spine) , we used three people for handling... and when we went in his aquariam area (glass cage) we always went in with a broom and one person outside watching...

he once got loose and got to the rabbit area (a large walk in cage); he found a way in, but five rabbits later, he couldnt crawl back out...

an other time he entangled himself in some  external electric wiring outside of his cage; we eventually found out where he was escaping from : he had pushed his ceiling fencing off its frame just enough to slide out (he was 4 meters long and very very strong)... never never never underestimate a large, hungry, or mature, snake even if they are only constrictors.

i only keep small constrictor types now....

You wouldnt be australian by any chance!! lots of so called herps keepers here in queensland, get called out quite often to help capture escaped family pets(mostly retics and burmese pythons), getting more and more cases of larger exotic wrigglies being set free because the owners get fedup with them or shock, horror they outgrow their vivariums, those photo,s by the way are off a website for weirdos called rotten .com, they were published in the Zookeeper magazine also, any readers in the sunshine coast area, due to early burst of hot weather lots of Browns and Red bellies on the move :o nignoy

capt.sge.ogx76.051005183436.photo00.photo.default-378x271.jpg

Clash of titan reptiles leaves python, alligator dead in Florida's swampland

MIAMI (AFP) - The tail of an alligator protruding from the ruptured gut of a python, which had swallowed its foe alive, bore witness to a fierce and unusual battle between two of the deadliest predators in Florida's swamps.

Park rangers, who photographed the remains of the two huge reptiles in the Everglades National Park, say the clash demonstrates the threat to the fragile swamplands posed by a growing population of non-native Burmese pythons.

Pythons, thought to have abandoned by pet owners, have been multiplying in the large swath of swampland, and environmentalists fear the exotic intruders threaten to overrun the national park, preying on native species.

The latest find suggest the huge pythons might even challenge alligators' leading position in the food chain.

Park biologist Skip Snow described the gruesome scene he found on September 27 in a remote corner of the Everglades park, which he said showed an almost 4-meter-long (12.5-foot) Burmese python had "apparently" entirely swallowed an alligator about half his size.

"I say apparently because the tail and hind limbs of the dead alligator were protruding from a hole in the mid-body of the dead python," said Snow.

"Although some bones of the jaw were present, the head of the python was missing," he said in a field report, illustrated with graphic photographs.

The photographs show the hind quarters of the alligator protruding from the snake's mid-section. "The stomach of the python still surrounded the head, shoulders, and forelimbs of the alligator," said Snow.

"When extracted from the snake, the alligator was largely intact except for two open wounds, one to the top of the skull behind the eyes and one on the shoulder," he said adding that it was unclear how the python's gut was ruptured, or how the snake died.

Park officials have removed dozens of Burmese pythons from the Everglades over the past years, and are training a Beagle, nicknamed "Python Pete," to track the exotic invaders.

-AFP

Wed Oct 5, 2:34 PM ET

Regarding the maneating snake pix, as Cobra pointed out, they've been on the Net for several years. One story has it take place in Indonesia. Another in Malaysia. Another in South America. The snake is indeed a whopper, but the pic showing a kid inside it is fake.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/animals/anaconda.htm

About the world's largest 49-foot long python found in Indonesia, again a long snake, but not mearly as long as described. Turns out the reptile is about half the size that was claimed, and was probably a way to attract visitors to the small zoo where it's kept. I'll see if I can find the link that talks about it. I think the followup article was on MSNBC.

Edited by AmeriThai

I know of three incidences I think this one is from Indonesia, but it is a young girl not a man. There was another set of photos from a plantation in Malaysia.

post-17667-1124607092_thumb.jpg

Another I personally know of was a 15 year old boy, he was picking mushrooms in a cave and they could not get him and the snake out at the same time, the snake was too big. They also found 4 other sets of human remains in the cave.

This is most likely fake as the digestive acids would have at least scarred the legs of this actor. The shorts are also in a seemingly undamaged state.

A few years ago one of my reptile expert buddies who runs a university outdoor education school said that ever documented case up to that point were stages.

Could a big snake eat a man? Perhaps. Could it eat a child? Perhaps. What does a Reticulated Python normally do when a human is coming? If it knows what's good for it, it'll hide.

Why do we want to think that a snake will eat people... so we can kill it and act like heros? This type of hype is the stuff that makes uneducated people think that man is supposed to be pitted against nature, you know, for self defence. Total crap, I don't believe one minute of it and photos aren't proof either - ever hear of PhotoShop?

When and where exactly did this take place? Are there any articles or references to support such horrors? Links please.