How To Take The English Language Test

Has anyone managed to arrange an English Language test for their partner? Im trying to arrange the test for my wife. I emailed 5 of the providers on the that are listed on the UKBA website and only one of them replied saying to give these people a call

"Lloyds Jones

Lloyds Co Ltd (Thailand)

Unit-2, 489/1 Moo 12,

SOi 5,

Jorntien Beach

Chonburi 20260

[email protected]

0(66) 0896026239 - Thai

0(66) 878043943 - Eng

0(66) 38757527 - Office

0(44) 1745 585894 - UK

We hope the above provided information would be satisfactory, Should you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely,

Bilal Sheikh"

I got my wife to call the thai number provided and it was a lady who said we first had to deposit some money in a bank account. Im not really into putting money into unknown bank accounts with only a mobile phone number as a comeback. Also from what I understand it can take a month to get the results, the test is taken in Thailand, sent to England for marking and then sent back.

I need to arrange this test in January. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated

English Test Centres is the company that we work with, and they carry out the tests. The information you have given in your post is not entirely correct. Firstly, if you book a test, then you must of course pay for it. This is done in advance. You can pay cash in advance or it can be done by bank transfer into the English Test Centres account. Secondly, you are correct that the test is carried out here in Thailand and the test is then sent to UK for marking, but it doesn't take one month. It should take only about two weeks to receive the pass certificate ( if appropriate) in Thailand.

You can pay in advance for the test at either of the test centres in Pattaya or Bangkok.

If you contact English Test Centres they can arrange a test for you in January.

I understand your concerns about paying money into strange accounts, but the testers on the UKBA list are all approved by UKBA. If the name of the tester is on the UKBA list and also on the VFS ( the visa application centre ) list for Thailand then your money should be safe enough. As I said earlier, you can by cash, in advance, if you wish.

I Am in the UK at present , i know of some Thai people who sit in front of a computer and memories the Questions and answerers, One lady got a shock when she went for her English test ,They gave her a story to read, she could not , she failed , so be awhear,

My wife did the test about 3 weeks ago, she used the following agent

VISA2GO CO., LTD.

77/53 MOO 4,

T.BANCHANG, A.BANCHANG

RAYONG 21130

TEL/FAX : 6638 601773

MOBILE : 66 81 4108193,081 7623533

www.visa-2go.com

got the result back in 7 days with a 69% pass rate. just waiting for paperwork to come, should be this week.

i would advise taking the pre test, my wife said it helped her not to worrie about the actual test.

We paid in advance by bank account.

regards

john

English Test Centres also do a Pre-test. It costs 1,000 Baht and, as johnrushton1982 says, prospective applicants seem to like it as it removes some of the concerns about the actual test. The actual test costs 6,000 Baht. English Test Centres and Visa2Go charge the same for tests and Pre-tests.

I Am in the UK at present , i know of some Thai people who sit in front of a computer and memories the Questions and answerers, One lady got a shock when she went for her English test ,They gave her a story to read, she could not , she failed , so be awhear,

The requirement for the initial 'test' for a settlement visa is speaking and listening only; so I don't know why she was given a story to read!

My wife did the test about 3 weeks ago, she used the following agent

VISA2GO CO., LTD.

77/53 MOO 4,

T.BANCHANG, A.BANCHANG

RAYONG 21130

TEL/FAX : 6638 601773

MOBILE : 66 81 4108193,081 7623533

www.visa-2go.com

got the result back in 7 days with a 69% pass rate. just waiting for paperwork to come, should be this week.

i would advise taking the pre test, my wife said it helped her not to worrie about the actual test.

We paid in advance by bank account.

regards

john

Hi there, could you try and give me an insight into what will be expected of my girlfriend when she takes this test, does the speaking require her to speak with an instructor about her family life, how many family members, what they do, how old they are etc? and the listening?, i thought the pre-test seminars were just another money spinner, seems not so i will now book her onto one, but if you could ask your wife a little about the test it would help

regards

James

Edited by 7by7
Tidied up quote and deleted duplicate post

The requirement for the initial 'test' for a settlement visa is speaking and listening only; so I don't know why she was given a story to read!

Maybe i am confused , but they where taking the test for indefinite leave to remain in the UK , life in the UK test.

I am fairly certain that the OP was asking about the new basic test for the initial settlement visa.

Unless things have changed so recently that the LitUK website has not yet been updated, the LitUK test is multiple choice and taken on a computer.

Of course, if your acquaintance was sitting an ESOL test this may have been different; but even then to meet the requirement for ILR it must have included an element on citizenship.

A fiance visa is a settlement visa, so she will have to take the test, unless she meets the requirement by having a recognised degree taught in English or is exempt.

BTW, this requirement is not just for Thai people, it is for any person applying for settlement as a husband, wife, civil partner, fiance(e), proposed civil partner, unmarried partner or same-sex partner. Unless one is the citizen of a majority English speaking country, a country in the European Economic Area or Switzerland.

See New English language requirement for partners.

A fiance visa is a settlement visa, so she will have to take the test, unless she meets the requirement by having a recognised degree taught in English or is exempt.

BTW, this requirement is not just for Thai people, it is for any person applying for settlement as a husband, wife, civil partner, fiance(e), proposed civil partner, unmarried partner or same-sex partner. Unless one is the citizen of a majority English speaking country, a country in the European Economic Area or Switzerland.

OK, great stuff. And also she will have to do a TB Test too??? Anybody have any idea of the cost for this??? Or does it depand on the type of Hospital, she will be going to Saint Lewis in Surasak BKK.

OK, great stuff. And also she will have to do a TB Test too??? Anybody have any idea of the cost for this??? Or does it depand on the type of Hospital, she will be going to Saint Lewis in Surasak BKK.

You can only get the TB test done at one place. These are the details from the VFS website:

<LI>How to get a tuberculosis certificate

To obtain the necessary certificate, applicants will need to attend the clinic run by International Organisation for Migration (IOM) staff at:

Kasemkij Building

8th Floor, 120 Silom Road

Bangrak, Bangkok 10500

Tel: +66 2 234 7950-5

Fax: + 66 2 234 7956

Email: [email protected]

Attendance is by appointment only and the full test fee of 2600 Baht must be paid in advance.

Only certificates issued by the International Organisation for Migration clinic will be acceptable. Applicants will be tested for pulmonary tuberculosis by chest X-ray and, as necessary, sputum smears. If free from infectious tuberculosis, the applicant will be issued with a certificate (valid for 6 months) and the applicant can then submit their visa application in the normal way. Those found to be suffering from infectious tuberculosis will be asked to seek further treatment and will not normally be allowed to apply for a visa until after they have been successfully treated and are certified free of infection. Please see the information sheets below for more information.

Information Sheet for Tuberculosis Testing (PDF, 30.9KB) IOM location map (PDF, 47.2KB)

• 1 month later...

Just an update on the English test

My missus took the test on 28th Jan with VISA2GO as johnrushton1982 said he used. The test was 7000 baht and the pretest was 1000, so total 8000 Baht. And we paid in advance into the bank account provided.

The actual pretest consisted of 2 phone calls totaling about 50 mins in all which I thought was a bit odd, but anyway, we got to the test centre an hour early just to make sure we knew where it was and they were running a pretest then so my wife sat in on that and then took the test. We got the paperwork back today and she passed with 71%

When she initially came out of the test I asked her how she felt she did and she was cautiously confident she had passed. The test took place in the Soi post office in Pattaya, (the one next to the post office)

The test was just speaking and listening, there was no writing involved.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update on the English test

My missus took the test on 28th Jan with VISA2GO as johnrushton1982 said he used. The test was 7000 baht and the pretest was 1000, so total 8000 Baht. And we paid in advance into the bank account provided.

The actual pretest consisted of 2 phone calls totaling about 50 mins in all which I thought was a bit odd, but anyway, we got to the test centre an hour early just to make sure we knew where it was and they were running a pre-test then so my wife sat in on that and then took the test. We got the paperwork back today and she passed with 71%

When she initially came out of the test I asked her how she felt she did and she was cautiously confident she had passed. The test took place in the Soi post office in Pattaya, (the one next to the post office)

The test was just speaking and listening, there was no writing involved.

Orite Scouse

any chance you can help a fello scouse, can ya let us know what the actuall test consisted of,what was required of your bird, what sort of questions she was asked etc, what was the scenario? did she just have to hold a conversation with someone, asking each other about their family and work etc. im sure my bird will pass but she's panicking so the more info i can give her the better, ta la

Orite Scouse

any chance you can help a fello scouse, can ya let us know what the actuall test consisted of,what was required of your bird, what sort of questions she was asked etc, what was the scenario? did she just have to hold a conversation with someone, asking each other about their family and work etc. im sure my bird will pass but she's panicking so the more info i can give her the better, ta la

Yes of course mate, only just seen this now or would have replied sooner. The one thing I would say is deffo take the pretest, its an extra thousand but they sort of walk you through it, well not quite. my girls quite good at english but one of the questions was "do you have any pets?" once I explained to her what pets were she was able to rattle on about her goldfish for 5 minutes which helped a lot.

Another thing was what TV programmes she liked to watch (try and expand to at least a few sentences)

Then they read out an extract about a fictional character (in our case an actor living in London) and she had to answer some questions on that)

Another thing was what food you like to eat (dont just say Som tam)

I think the test was split into 2 halves, one was talking about yourself and your family etc which most of the girls passed, and the other bit was listening and understanding what was being said which was harder because words were being used which the girls dot hear everyday like "pets" in "do you have any pets"?

Cant really remember much more but if its possible to pm me Ill have my bird call yours and she can help her out