2011 Pajero Sport Minor Change

today im visiting the mitsu dealer, have appointment at 3pm :)

i was wondering, is it normal to ask like 50,000 discount (so pay less)? or is it more like, instead of discount, you get 50k of extra stuff ?

dont know how buying cars in thailand works :o besides, is 50k reasonable? not that the dealer thinks im totally crazy, lol :D

one more question, will the yokohama parada spec-x 285/50R20_112V will both look awesome as well as keeping good performance

and not damaging body or other parts on bumpy roads or when making u turns ?

might change that immediately when buying from dealer, and does anyone know the price for a set of 4 of these tires ? MRO ? ;-)

btw, i will be buying the new pjs 2wd at gt white for 1.15 i believe. wish me good luck :D

cheers,

hans

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was wondering, is it normal to ask like 50,000 discount (so pay less)? or is it more like, instead of discount, you get 50k of extra stuff ?

dont know how buying cars in thailand works :o besides, is 50k reasonable? not that the dealer thinks im totally crazy, lol :D

one more question, will the yokohama parada spec-x 285/50R20_112V will both look awesome as well as keeping good performance

might change that immediately when buying from dealer, and does anyone know the price for a set of 4 of these tires ? MRO ? ;-)

btw, i will be buying the new pjs 2wd at gt white for 1.15 i believe. wish me good luck :D

cheers,

hans

Change the wheels, lose your warranty ;).

cheers,

hans

Max. discount available for the 2WD GT model is 60K Baht, and can be taken as a discount off full price, downpayment (if financing), in freebies or any combination of these. Note that Insurance and Tabien Rot (road tax) normally comes out of this 60K, so if taking these you're down to ~40K discount.

As T/A notes, changing the wheels will void the differential, suspension and brakes warranty (same goes for all manufacturers). On reports, Parada Spec-X at 285/50R20 handle very well, and ride quiet/smooth and def. look the business. Will be what I put on next..

Now with MRO post snap's you can see what I mean about the cheap seat's just compare the thickness of the Fortuner one's (all) to the Pajero. Yes agree that the rear seat set up is crap in the Fortuner, but as there are only two + of us the back one's have been out on mine two day's after I got it. You can also see what I said about the wheel arche's in the rear of the Pajero. As far as the rear air con: go's the Fortuner set up knock spot's off the Pajero. IE 4 roof vent's + extra power All adjustable from the rear. And no they dont ever run hot. If anything to powerful. Well that's what Im told as I never sit in the back. I rest my case on the HiFi set up.

Now with MRO post snap's you can see what I mean about the cheap seat's just compare the thickness of the Fortuner one's (all) to the Pajero. Yes agree that the rear seat set up is crap in the Fortuner, but as there are only two + of us the back one's have been out on mine two day's after I got it. You can also see what I said about the wheel arche's in the rear of the Pajero. As far as the rear air con: go's the Fortuner set up knock spot's off the Pajero. IE 4 roof vent's + extra power All adjustable from the rear. And no they dont ever run hot. If anything to powerful. Well that's what Im told as I never sit in the back. I rest my case on the HiFi set up.

Because of the superior rear seats in the Fortuner, that is the only way to stow them. :)

LOL, you guys are funny - I have no idea what you're using as a measuring stick here, perhaps you think that fat seats = better seats? If so, perhaps you should take a good look at the Recaro chairs in the next Boeing you fly in, hehe ;) Chairs don't need to look like sofa's to be comfortable, and too soft chairs in a car are just fatiguing, and in Fortuner's case, along with the color scheme, make it look like they took the interior out of a 1970's Amercian land yacht :P

Speaking of interiors (that's what tipped the balance in favor of the Pajero Sport over Fortuner for me), here's some pics comparing the pickup with it's PPV cousin:

Triton/Pajero Sport:

tritonpjs.jpg

VIGO/Fortuner:

vigofortuner.jpg

As you can see, Mitsubishi have gone to much further lengths to differentiate their PPV from it's lower-grade pickup cousin than Toyota has. Good news if you own a VIGO though I guess :D

LOL, you guys are funny - I have no idea what you're using as a measuring stick here, perhaps you think that fat seats = better seats? If so, perhaps you should take a good look at the Recaro chairs in the next Boeing you fly in, hehe ;) Chairs don't need to look like sofa's to be comfortable, and too soft chairs in a car are just fatiguing, and in Fortuner's case, along with the color scheme, make it look like they took the interior out of a 1970's Amercian land yacht :P

Speaking of interiors (that's what tipped the balance in favor of the Pajero Sport over Fortuner for me), here's some pics comparing the pickup with it's PPV cousin:

Triton/Pajero Sport:

tritonpjs.jpg

VIGO/Fortuner:

vigofortuner.jpg

As you can see, Mitsubishi have gone to much further lengths to differentiate their PPV from it's lower-grade pickup cousin than Toyota has. Good news if you own a VIGO though I guess :D

I can see the Mitsu looks like sitting in an arcade driving game, especially after dark, sort of in your face, perhaps it's an age thing with me cos looks like for a teenager. :D Mitsu have obviously gone that route to attract more sales but has it worked.:huh:

Must confess l have put ' walnut ' stuff in my interior to ' Jag ' it up and am very happy with the feel.

I can see the Mitsu looks like sitting in an arcade driving game

Interesting observation. There should be enough resolution in those images to do a button count :)

Perhaps it's an age thing with me cos looks like for a teenager. :D Mitsu have obviously gone that route to attract more sales but has it worked.:huh:

You may have just hit the nail on the head there.. Most PJS owners I know (including myself) are in their 30's to mid 40's, while most Fortuner owners I know are 55-80. Perhaps the different design styles just appeal to different generations? Make sense the more I think about it..

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Interesting observation. There should be enough resolution in those images to do a button count :)

Perhaps it's an age thing with me cos looks like for a teenager. :D Mitsu have obviously gone that route to attract more sales but has it worked.:huh:

You may have just hit the nail on the head there.. Most PJS owners I know (including myself) are in their 30's to mid 40's, while most Fortuner owners I know are 55-80. Perhaps the different design styles just appeal to different generations? Make sense the more I think about it..

Just finished the Vigo interior, cool eh.

post-41816-0-95962800-1294646447_thumb.j

Thought you'd be impressed. :lol:

to be honest, I like the foturner's interior (Mid 40's guy here), don't care too much for the brushed alum in my Monty, but that would be my only real beef..

the rest of the vehicle for me is tops, again, my buddy who has 2 fortuners, rides my car in envy..

Triton/Pajero Sport:

tritonpjs.jpg

VIGO/Fortuner:

vigofortuner.jpg

The snap of the Fortuner you've put in is the lesser model. I can't put in snap's, That's because Im a dick head, but look at the Sportivo cab. Edited by fredob43

Can we get down to the serious subject of why is warranty void on drive train when changing wheel size. An example would be one model fortuner has 17" and another 18" so why if someone puts 20" on and the overall Tyre diameter is the same why should the warranty be void.

Hey Fellas, I'm 63 and still a boy racer. How do you make a Fortuner look like it's flying when standing still, i think its impossible, whereas the GT gives you something to work with. If you feel old you buy something old fashioned, that how they sold Volvo's. But if you still have it in you, and you want to stay that way, you have to think that way, young at heart. I'm still working on my GT 3.2 and your info on Performance Mods is great to read, now all i have to do is give it some extra grunt and i'll feel even younger :rolleyes: Thanks for the Tips.

Hey Fellas, I'm 63 and still a boy racer. How do you make a Fortuner look like it's flying when standing still, i think its impossible, whereas the GT gives you something to work with. If you feel old you buy something old fashioned, that how they sold Volvo's. But if you still have it in you, and you want to stay that way, you have to think that way, young at heart. I'm still working on my GT 3.2 and your info on Performance Mods is great to read, now all i have to do is give it some extra grunt and i'll feel even younger :rolleyes: Thanks for the Tips.

The word l would use is '' Feel ''. I raced my Pontiac till recently on the street and track, it is an animal BUT l loved my Volvo and Merc to bits to do the job and make me feel relaxed.

We are of similar age. :D

Just finished the Vigo interior, cool eh.

post-41816-0-95962800-1294646447_thumb.j

Thought you'd be impressed. :lol:

LOL, I'd only ride in that if I were dead ;)

my buddy who has 2 fortuners, rides my car in envy..

Have 3 neighbors that have also sold Fortuner's to buy Pajero Sport, and one who hates selling so has an '06 Everest, an '08 Fortuner and a '10 Pajero Sport, heh - he starts the former two every weekend, and loans them out to friends from time-to-time, but his DD is the PJS.

The snap of the Fortuner you've put in is the lesser model. I can't put in snap's, That's because Im a dick head, but look at the Sportivo cab.

You can't buy Sportivo's anymore, so I used the current top "V" model as the best comparison. Sportivo's are a little nicer for sure - for the kind of usage you have (2 people only, no long trips), I'd have one.

Can we get down to the serious subject of why is warranty void on drive train when changing wheel size. An example would be one model fortuner has 17" and another 18" so why if someone puts 20" on and the overall Tyre diameter is the same why should the warranty be void.

While rolling diameter can easily be maintained by choosing the correct tires, as you move up in rim size you unavoidably increase the total weight of each wheel (unless you can find a magnesium 20x8.5" 137x6 wheel).. Going up to 22" and 24" can mean up to double the weight of an OEM 17" wheel and tire combo, which destroys the suspension tuning, and puts additional load on the drivetrain and brakes, hence the warranty exclusion. That's not to say that these PPV's won't handle it (they will) but it can be so far out of original spec, it would take a brave manufacturer to keep on warranting it.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

While rolling diameter can easily be maintained by choosing the correct tires, as you move up in rim size you unavoidably increase the total weight of each wheel (unless you can find a magnesium 20x8.5" 137x6 wheel).. Going up to 22" and 24" can mean up to double the weight of an OEM 17" wheel and tire combo, which destroys the suspension tuning, and puts additional load on the drivetrain and brakes, hence the warranty exclusion. That's not to say that these PPV's won't handle it (they will) but it can be so far out of original spec, it would take a brave manufacturer to keep on warranting it.

AND you are eliminating tyre side wall flex in a low profile tyre putting more strain on the mechanicals. :)

AND you are eliminating tyre side wall flex in a low profile tyre putting more strain on the mechanicals. :)

True, especially the standard rubber bushings.. Urethane bushings are relatively cheap (few thousand baht each end) and improve overall response markedly, and give better road feel as well, so a worthy upgrade if looking for a little bit more out of your PPV racing machine ;)

All look's quite nice But the thing's I dont like.

Inside.

1. The tacky looking radio Hi Fi set up.

2. The front seat's now have two of them.

3. The wheel arch's that protrude into the rear. Reducing space.

4. The rear air con: set up.

Out side.

5. Most of all the gap between the wheel's and the wheel arch. Ok if you want someware to sleep I supose.

Sorry about that. But just some of reason's why I didn't buy one.

l agree about the ridiculous gap between the wheel and arch. No way this space will be used in any off road use. If the motor was lowered it would improve handling and safety by lowering the centre of gravity. :ermm:

l agree about the ridiculous gap between the wheel and arch. No way this space will be used in any off road use. If the motor was lowered it would improve handling and safety by lowering the centre of gravity. :ermm:

Suspension travel is absolutely required for proper road manners when loaded, as noted earlier. In off-road, suspension travel is king.

I spent 3 months touring TH in rented Fortuner in 2008, a month in a CR-V doing the same in 2009, and did the same in early 2010 with the PJS for a month before deciding on what to buy, so have direct experience with all in the same driving and loading situations. Fortuner feels/handles heavier, lower in the rear, and stiff riding when loaded, whereas PJS handles it as if it were half the weight on board. CR-V just crumbles with 5 ppl and luggage on board - just awful.

As for center of gravity, Pajero Sport is a full 100mm lower than Fortuner B) - this has been discussed before BTW, here's a refresher:

The Pajero Sport has a stationary rollover angle of 45 degrees, while the Fortuner is 42 degrees - which makes the PJS center of gravity 100mm lower than the Fortuner, and about the same as a Hilux 4x4.

For the vehicle dimensions being discussed (Foruner & PJS are practically identical width/height/length), every 100mm lower will improve stationary roll-over angle by +3 degrees.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Suspension travel is absolutely required for proper road manners when loaded, as noted earlier. In off-road, suspension travel is king.

I spent 3 months touring TH in rented Fortuner in 2008, a month in a CR-V doing the same in 2009, and did the same in early 2010 with the PJS for a month before deciding on what to buy, so have direct experience with all in the same driving and loading situations. Fortuner feels/handles heavier, lower in the rear, and stiff riding when loaded, whereas PJS handles it as if it were half the weight on board. CR-V just crumbles with 5 ppl and luggage on board - just awful.

As for center of gravity, Pajero Sport is a full 100mm lower than Fortuner B) - this has been discussed before BTW, here's a refresher:

The Pajero Sport has a stationary rollover angle of 45 degrees, while the Fortuner is 42 degrees - which makes the PJS center of gravity 100mm lower than the Fortuner, and about the same as a Hilux 4x4.

For the vehicle dimensions being discussed (Foruner & PJS are practically identical width/height/length), every 100mm lower will improve stationary roll-over angle by +3 degrees.

I remeber your posts but why the huge gaps. :)

How the does the Alpine head-unit in the new Pajeros interface with USB based Apple products like iPods and such. Is there a way to play audio and video content from say and iPod or iPhone on the stereo system in the Pajero? Also, how is the media controlled, from the iPod's controls or the Alpine unit?

Edited by FarangBuddha

Why the huge gap's . Answer it as a take up for the wheel's on bend's. And boy do they need it as they Pajero lean big time. Not questioning the center of gravity. But to my small mind, lean, less weight on the inside wheel's, less grip. In 08 the Fortuner you had was an early one crap brake's Ect, Ect. I agree with the comment's about the CR-V and there still rubbish.

Edited by fredob43

back from dealer!!

dealer.jpg

sorry, phone picture :(

i also saw the brown grayish one in the showroom.. i must admit that the color looks pretty classy

and not as ugly as ive seen on some pics before. even might go for the brown, lol.

anyways..

this is the max i could get from the mitsu dealer in bkk:

PJS '11 / 2WD GT = 1,142,000

This is the standard dealer price everywhere for the black/gray/brown one (15k more for white)

The freebies I wanted were:

- Tinted windows (50% front, 80% rest) by 3M (worth 5,000)

- 1st Class insurance 1 year (worth 22,000)

- Tabien Rot (worth 6,600)

- Rainshields for the 4 windows (worth 2,000)

- Add GPS navigation (by Alpine or something?) unit, as replacement for the standard music/dvd screen (worth 25,000)

- Layer of some special stuff covering and protecting all underneath the car from dust/sand/debris/water/sea/etc (worth 5,500)

- Add alarm (worth 4,500)

The ones the dealer will provide for free are listed in green, the ones I dont get listed in red.

5,000+22,000+6,600+2,000+5,500=41,100

So Basically I get 41,100 on freebies.... now my question is, is this a good deal?

I personally don't think so, perhaps when I push the dealer to give alarm for free as well, it is an ok deal I think...

what do you think? MRO ? :)

Cheers,

Hans

PS. I'm getting my Thai ID (mommy is thai hehe) within 1 week, so i'll wait till then because I want to buy it with my Thai name :)

Also checking some other dealer in Isarn, as I'm going there tomorrow to visit some cousins and aunts of mine :)

PSS. If you know a dealer either near Khon Kaen, Bangkok or Pattaya which can offer 50k or even 60k on freebies, instead of 40k

then please PM me, because it's a lot of money... every baht is a baht :)

Why the huge gap's . Answer it as a take up for the wheel's on bend's. And boy do they need it as they Pajero lean big time. Not questioning the center of gravity. But to my small mind, lean, less weight on the inside wheel's, less grip. In 08 the Fortuner you had was an early one crap brake's Ect, Ect. I agree with the comment's about the CR-V and there still rubbish.

The huge gaps are for clearance. As any proper multi purpose vehicle vehicle should have. Sadly the Pajero's competition don't offer the same amount of tire clearance and suffer from other short comings. The lack of tire clearance causes problems both off-road and when increasing tire and rim size. But again the Pajero's competition can't compete with the Pajero's off road legacy. :whistling:

How the does the Alpine head-unit in the new Pajeros interface with USB based Apple products like iPods and such. Is there a way to play audio and video content from say and iPod or iPhone on the stereo system in the Pajero? Also, how is the media controlled, from the iPod's controls or the Alpine unit?

There is a full-speed iPod adaptor available from Alpine, which gives you iPod/iPhone control from the touch screen (~1500 THB). You'll need another smaller adaptor to go in-line with this if using an iPhone (to support charging). There's two different USB modules that can plug straight in and play MP3's from USB sticks, a bluetooth module for phone integration, and at least two options for built-in touch-screen compatible GPS (Alpine and Kamaz).

However, for GPS I'd still recommend going for a standalone unit like the Garmin Nuvi's - that way you can have both displays active at the same time, rather than being forced to select only one for viewing.

back from dealer!!

dealer.jpg

sorry, phone picture :(

i also saw the brown grayish one in the showroom.. i must admit that the color looks pretty classy

and not as ugly as ive seen on some pics before. even might go for the brown, lol.

anyways..

this is the max i could get from the mitsu dealer in bkk:

PJS '11 / 2WD GT = 1,142,000

This is the standard dealer price everywhere for the black/gray/brown one (15k more for white)

The freebies I wanted were:

- Tinted windows (50% front, 80% rest) by 3M (worth 5,000)

- 1st Class insurance 1 year (worth 22,000)

- Tabien Rot (worth 6,600)

- Rainshields for the 4 windows (worth 2,000)

- Add GPS navigation (by Alpine or something?) unit, as replacement for the standard music/dvd screen (worth 25,000)

- Layer of some special stuff covering and protecting all underneath the car from dust/sand/debris/water/sea/etc (worth 5,500)

- Add alarm (worth 4,500)

The ones the dealer will provide for free are listed in green, the ones I dont get listed in red.

5,000+22,000+6,600+2,000+5,500=41,100

So Basically I get 41,100 on freebies.... now my question is, is this a good deal?

I personally don't think so, perhaps when I push the dealer to give alarm for free as well, it is an ok deal I think...

what do you think? MRO ? :)

Cheers,

Hans

PS. I'm getting my Thai ID (mommy is thai hehe) within 1 week, so i'll wait till then because I want to buy it with my Thai name :)

Also checking some other dealer in Isarn, as I'm going there tomorrow to visit some cousins and aunts of mine :)

PSS. If you know a dealer either near Khon Kaen, Bangkok or Pattaya which can offer 50k or even 60k on freebies, instead of 40k

then please PM me, because it's a lot of money... every baht is a baht :)

My PM is disabled, so will post here ;)

Try Khun Chun: 089-7671331 - chun.nkc [at] hotmail.com

I remeber your posts but why the huge gaps. :)

Long suspension travel is required for traction and stability in off-road use: http://www.google.co...spension+travel

Not that you need to go off-road to use big suspension travel, as noted a few times now, suspension travel is the difference between a good tourer and an average one on Thai roads with ppl and luggage. Mine hasn't seen any off-road in the latest road-trip, but as you can see from the shiny patch on the chassis, bump stops were still used:

bumpstop.jpg

The difference between PJS and others in the segment, is that it retains decent amounts of reserve suspension travel and spends a whole lot less time on the bump stops, making it much better behaved on Thai roads when traveling at speed and loaded.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis