What Can I Do In Thailand?

Maybe you could start a falang orientated security agency business. Train some youngsters with your skills and experience. Like guards that don't fall asleep on the job be a start. Not only guards though; I reckon people could use an agency for personal security or on functions / events etc.

There are also private detective agencies if your inclined to hassle for not greatmoney.

With your amounts of cash though personally I'd be looking at getting tsking it easy abit and getting in to some charitable endeavours rather than hard workings for a fraction extra money for nothing

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some years ago a chap that I had worked with in Hong Kong claimed that he was working in a security-related position for a very high ranking person in Thailand, after he retired from his position in HKG. Mind you, he had an SAS background. Why not contact one of the corporate security firms? I mean, the big, regional ones, not little local Thai firms.
SAS background, yes I have also bumped into several in my time.:rolleyes:
what a coincidence! i too have an SAS background. in 1973 i flew Skandinavian Airlines System from Bangkok to Copenhagen. :ph34r:

In an earlier post I referred to a chap I worked with in Hong Kong who had an SAS background, and after retirement moved to work for a very high ranking person in Bangkok, looking after his personal security.

For the record, this ex-SAS chap and I both worked in Hong Kong for The Royal Hong Kong Jockey Club (as it then was), he was in charge of overall security, and I can assure the sceptics hereabouts that he was genuinely ex-SAS. The Chief Executive of the Jockey Club at the time was a full general in the British Army, and several of the top echelon were also former British Army officers - there is no doubt about the genuine credentials of any of these men.

There are genuine ex-SAS people around, believe it or not. Perhaps some of the sceptics have spent too long in the bars of Bangkok.

:rolleyes:

The bad news? If you retire in Thailand on a retirement "visa" (really an annual extension of your visa for the purposes of retirement, but often wrongly called a retirement "visa") you are specifically prohibited from working.

So legally if you are here on a retiremeny "visa", you cant work here.

I think you said you were over 50 years old, and your pension seems enough to qualify for a retiement "visa"...but like I said...on that "visa' you can't work legally.

:blink:

There are several private detective services, mostly proving to love-sick British dudes that there 'girlfriend' is cheating on them the second they leave the country.

I have inquired about work with one and they said they only hired people with experience in law enforcement.

Don't know how much they pay but it is probably interesting work. You could also found your own firm doing the same thing.

Edit: spelling

Edited by HC82

In addition the Tourist Police employ farang as volunteer police. No money but something to do and I'm sure they'd take you with all of that experience. I've seen them specifically in Pattaya and Koh Samui, I'm sure they hire them other places too. In Koh Samui the farang appear to be running the operation.

You are a 50 or 60 year old policeman looking for work in Thailand? Not a hope.

On second thoughts, maybe you could do some detective work for Stickman. :whistling:

The OP clearly states he is 30 not 50 or 60.

Must be nice to retire before your career begins. lol

NOOOOO the OP clearly states he is a 30 year veteran police....

That means he did his 30 yrs on the force and is qualified to retire.

Does age make that much difference in Thailand?

If you are curious, I just turned 58.

As I mentioned, I have a great pension. $5600 a month till the day I die and $700,000 in Drop and 457b (401k like).

I do not have to work. I am just looking for something to do to make myself useful.

Prior to departing you better check with your poor excuse of a president, I think he's already spent your pension & then some and probably has something install for you to be detained and forced to work as a volunteer over there, god knows they're gonna need all hands on deck to control the mobs when the American people wake up and realise what these aholes are doing to their country.

You should hurry to Thailand, because at the rate the USD is going, your gonna need every bit of your monthly $5600 USD to buy 1 THB. ;)

In addition the Tourist Police employ farang as volunteer police. No money but something to do and I'm sure they'd take you with all of that experience. I've seen them specifically in Pattaya and Koh Samui, I'm sure they hire them other places too. In Koh Samui the farang appear to be running the operation.

Little tip for you. A real Policeman would most likely be REVOLTED by what goes on here and probably wouldnt want anything to do with it ;)

Little tip for you. A real Policeman would most likely be REVOLTED by what goes on here and probably wouldnt want anything to do with it ;)

That comment is for sure. OP will jaw drop and flabergast at the traffic cop activities here.

-U,S, UPS driver retired

-4.5 yrs Thailand

On second thoughts, maybe you could do some detective work for Stickman. :whistling:

I would imagine it would pretty difficult to work as a policeman/detective for over 30 years and still be only 30 years old. ??????

As I mentioned, I have a great pension. $5600 a month till the day I die and $700,000 in Drop and 457b (401k like).

I do not have to work. I am just looking for something to do to make myself useful.

Be sure not to buy a property that is higher than the second floor, and if you do install a good safety net. :ph34r:

Thats only Pattaya

The OP has 30 years experience as a detective, his age is not mentioned.

working for some Thai company, yes, age does make a difference. However, as a lot of the posters on here suggest, there are foreign private investigations companies here as are foreign security companies. Again though, you cannot not work in Thailand on a "retirement" visa. I would come over here on a 60 tourist visa first and check out all the opportunities, ask a lot of questions, then make a decision. Please don't just chuck it all in and arrive at Bangkok with a "retirement" visa in hand with all your wordly posessions with out a plan. Your going to be in for a shock. With that kind of retirement, and money in the bank, you will get along here very well. You might check with JUSTMAC or the Vet Post in Bangkok to get some suggestions.

I am also retired and had similar thoughts as the OP when I first moved here 8 years ago. It didn't take me long to realize that after spending the better part of my life in law enforcement, and doing that with true professionalism, I didn't want to be associated in any way with what they refer to here as police departments.

OP, if you still consider this, most the above posts are good info. Even in the private sector, Thai language ability would be a necessity I would think. A work permit a major hurdle, and as one poster said, don't even consider it on "retirement' visa. I have also heard comments, and one quote in particular when a U.S. group wanted to train EMT's. "We would rather die the Thai way, than learn the falang (western) way!" They are not interested in consultants or instructors ( again the language barrier anyway). Come over and relax and learn the Thai way for a while. It will be an eye opener.

I would imagine it would pretty difficult to work as a policeman/detective for over 30 years and still be only 30 years old. ??????

They just dont speak, read or understand American lingo in thailand

Some years ago a chap that I had worked with in Hong Kong claimed that he was working in a security-related position for a very high ranking person in Thailand, after he retired from his position in HKG. Mind you, he had an SAS background.

Why not contact one of the corporate security firms? I mean, the big, regional ones, not little local Thai firms.

SAS background, yes I have also bumped into several in my time.:rolleyes:

Shame you have not had acquaintances with the SBS the best of the best ,:ph34r: .:ermm:

Just a thought, why not request a transfer to the DEA, they are well represented here in Pattaya and you can still be paid a US rate of pay and working oversea allowances!

Kindest regards and Happy New Year. BW

Now that sounds like the best idea yet.

i can't make up my mind. is the OP a troll or does he need our sympathy? :huh:

I'm sure he meant great for his chosen profession. Not "great" as in any challenge to your undisputed undesirable "richest member on the forum" crutch. :)

Edited by OxfordWill

Just a thought, why not request a transfer to the DEA, they are well represented here in Pattaya and you can still be paid a US rate of pay and working oversea allowances!

Kindest regards and Happy New Year. BW

One cannot just "transfer" into DEA, and certainly not if you are at retirement age.

I'm sure he meant great for his chosen profession. Not "great" as in any challenge to your undisputed undesirable "richest member on the forum" crutch. :)

I wondered what this was about too. It seems a good pension to me. Not everyone is a company president.

i am always amused when poor boys display their envy by making irrelevant statements :lol:

I wondered what this was about too. It seems a good pension to me. Not everyone is a company president.

and i wonder why somebody who enjoys a relatively good financial status is looking for a job in Thailand :ph34r:

quote: "...what kind of jobs will I be able to find in Thailand?"

and i wonder why somebody who enjoys a relatively good financial status is looking for a job in Thailand :ph34r:

quote: "...what kind of jobs will I be able to find in Thailand?"

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4108290

Maybe you Naam might consider putting him on the payrole. Think how good that will look in front of the neighbours, 15 gardners, 3 maids, 4 drivers. Perhaps he could be ur body guard. :ph34r:

Some people do wish to keep themselves occupied you know. The last thing my father wanted to do was retire and so as soon as it was forced on him by the company he worked for, he sought other work. Money was not the issue. His pension was good. Much easier to do in the UK though.

Retirement is something I dread too. I do not have enough hobbies to keep me occupied so would prefer to work when the time comes. I know a few others for whom the thought is scarey too. What is so shameful about working. I am sure in your circles you know many a fellow with more than enough money to retire on (a Naam satisfying amount) and yet they keep working. They can't all just be simply greedy. Some must actually continue because they enjoy working.

Anyway, enough from me. Back to work. :lol: So much for working eh. Please don't tell my boss.

The OP has 30 years experience as a detective, his age is not mentioned.

Regardless on what you end up doing don't be sprouting off stuff like that wherever you end up or you will become a target. Low key always wins.

Some people do wish to keep themselves occupied you know. The last thing my father wanted to do was retire and so as soon as it was forced on him by the company he worked for, he sought other work. Money was not the issue. His pension was good. Much easier to do in the UK though.

Retirement is something I dread too. I do not have enough hobbies to keep me occupied so would prefer to work when the time comes. I know a few others for whom the thought is scarey too. What is so shameful about working. I am sure in your circles you know many a fellow with more than enough money to retire on (a Naam satisfying amount) and yet they keep working. They can't all just be simply greedy. Some must actually continue because they enjoy working.

Anyway, enough from me. Back to work. :lol: So much for working eh. Please don't tell my boss.

there's nothing shameful about working and i did not mention anything about being greedy. i too work hard even though i consider myself "retired" since more than 21 years. but that was not the point i raised. i referred to the context "financially sound but looking for a job in Thailand".

retirement is indeed something you should dread. once you are retired your day is fully booked with tasks you never thought of before and you will have difficulties to find time for any hobbies, even hobbies which you might pursue when still working. you don't believe me? just wait till you are retired!