Advice Computer For Game

falkan

went down to the local computer store (banana it) and asked if he could put together a package for around 30000tbh.

I play a lot of new pc-games, and my old computer does not work any good anymore!

cpu 6350tbh

Intel I5 760 2,8ghz

ram 1700tbh

kingstar 20/1333 4gb

vga 5350tbh

sapphire hd 5770 1gb vapor-x

mainboard 3210tbh

p55-ud3l gigabyte

hard disk 2850tbh

wd1002faex 1tb

power supple 1450tbh

rx-53055

monitor 4890tbh

lg 21,5

dvd/dvdrw

liteon 24x 690tbh

case 2300tbh

in win

mouse 590tbh

microsoft desktop

30000-31000tbh all together

Were some things that I wondered if it's worth upgrading, i found this things in the store to!

ram 2300tbh

4gb corsair XMS3 ddr3 but 6 or even 8gb?

hard disk dont remember the price..

wd 2000/7200 sata 11 64mb gp 1,5 tb

what do you guys think? i got a budget for 35000tbh

The main thing that will affect gaming is the graphics card, if the budget will allow it go higher on it as you never know what new games are around the corner. Extra hard drive space is much cheaper to upgrade now than it will be later. A 2 TB hard drive may be less than 50% more than the 1 TB.

First thing I'd be asking is whether you couldn't keep your existing monitor and invest the ฿5,000 you've earmarked for a 21' one in something else? If that's possible, you could consider some other options. For someone looking for a 2.8GHz processor I'd really suggest saving for an Intel Core i7-869, but sticking with the 760, invest in more RAM or save for 2GB graphics card like the NVIDIA Geforce GT330.

I kinda agree about the monitor...if you can get by on your lld one, forget about it.

RAM quantity listed is fine; granted I've been running 12GB for the last 5 years, but that's kinda way overkill (plus in the begining it was only valid on x86_64 Linux...XP64 didn't game that well).

Between what you save on the monitor and your overhead budget, get yourself an SSD. I haven't priced them out in LOS, but I got a 128GB Crucial RealSSD for ~7000 THB buying from the States.

The smoothness of your system afterwards has to be seen to be believed; everything opens immediately, there are no slow downs, etc. Best upgrade I ever made since going to four cores.....

I kinda agree about the monitor...if you can get by on your lld one, forget about it.

RAM quantity listed is fine; granted I've been running 12GB for the last 5 years, but that's kinda way overkill (plus in the begining it was only valid on x86_64 Linux...XP64 didn't game that well).

Between what you save on the monitor and your overhead budget, get yourself an SSD. I haven't priced them out in LOS, but I got a 128GB Crucial RealSSD for ~7000 THB buying from the States.

The smoothness of your system afterwards has to be seen to be believed; everything opens immediately, there are no slow downs, etc. Best upgrade I ever made since going to four cores.....

Agree fully with the SSD drive and the performance gains from it. Not just start up, but the incredible read/write times, give a major boost to game performance too. Suggest 100 GBs to 150 Gbs etc. I would not go for a single 1 TB SATA drive, as it will "bog you down" as it starts to fill up and the read/write timing suffers. I would use 2x say, 500 GB SATA 2 or SATA 3 drives to give you a major safety factor too, as well as performance gains. Then you just run your O/S and most of your critical programs on the SSD(non critical programs can be run on the D:/ or E/: drives) and set up your game saves, docs, videos, downloads - pretty much all to your stuff to the D:/ and E:/ drives. Then if you have to reinstall the O/S or get bombed by a virus, you still have all your data and stuff safe - I keep an auto updated(by "Acronis True Image Home") system image, so that if I ever have a problem(which I never have with Win7 ultimate 64 bit), I can do a quick system recover on start up, from the saved "disc image" in a short time. As also pointed out, your "graphics card" will make a huge difference to not only your game play, but overall PC performance. A single 1 GB DDR5 ram card is now not so expensive - I use 2x 1 GB, ATI Radeon HD 4850s crossfired together - but a single 1 gb card should be OK - only get the best you can afford anyway. An ATI FirePro V4800 has 1GB of GDDR5 memory with 24.5 GBs/memory bandwidth and all "the bells and whistles" and is under $200 now. Shop around. Also necessary as suggested by someone, is a good Power Supply - like a Tagen 1400 watt, which has more than enough connectors to go around and your graphics card - or any good one - needs a power supply. The one below needs 75 watts or more of power.

AMD_Cohn3_305.jpg

Hope this has been of use to you and has not just confused the hell out of you. You are welcome to PM me if you need any help. Best of luck putting together your new "killer desk top" anyway and cheers/best wishes for the "New Year". thebom

PS: You need to have Win 7 - or at least Vista 64 bit - to get the full value from anything over 2 GBs of RAM. Win XP just can't cope.....

Edited by newtronbom

The BananaIT recommendations have some good parts but really miss on some key components. The most prominent is the PSU, which is the foundation of a stable, reliable computer. Hard to get a good one for under 3k baht. The recommended memory is inadequate, your Corsair alternative is far better; 4GB is adequate, Windows cannot use more than 3.4GB. Use 1600 speed just in case you get enthused about tuning. Gigabyte H55M USB3 mobo has more value for gaming, also has USB3.

You would do well to go talk to the gents in the enthusiast shops at Pantip Plaza. These include the several Jedi Cool shops (3 of them) on the ground floor, and the several others right by them. Look for the high-tech Cooler units in the windows, a good clue for the clientele, which is geared toward gamers and overclockers.

thanks for all the replies! am going to check out the SSD disk to.

I have these two systems to choose from

Intel I5 760 2,8ghz 6350tbh

Corsair 4gb xms3 ddr3 2300tbh

Radeon hd 5870 pcs+1gb power color 12950tbh

P55-ud3l gigabyte 3210tbh

WD1002faex 1tb 2850tbh

Power supple rx-53055 1450tbh

Monitor LG 21,5 4890tbh

DVD/dvdrw liteon 24x 690tbh

Case in win 2300tbh

Mouse microsoft desktop 590tbh

37000tbh

AMD Phenom TM II x 6 Processor 7990tbh

3.2 GHz, 3.6 GHz turbo Core, X6 40901

DDR 3 4gb (2x2gb) Corsair 1950tbh

WD1000 1000/1200 SATA 3690tbh

HD5850PCS 9120tbh

GA-880GA-VD3H 3200tbh

LG 24x 690tbh

Samsung 233T 5190tbh

Power supply 750W Corsair 4750tbh

Case 2900tbh

Discount -1000tbh

38500tbh

Seems that AMD uses more electricity an intel and that Intel has a better graphic-card but the processor is faster in AMD.

Guys which option would you chose?

The BananaIT recommendations have some good parts but really miss on some key components. The most prominent is the PSU, which is the foundation of a stable, reliable computer. Hard to get a good one for under 3k baht. The recommended memory is inadequate, your Corsair alternative is far better; 4GB is adequate, Windows cannot use more than 3.4GB. Use 1600 speed just in case you get enthused about tuning. Gigabyte H55M USB3 mobo has more value for gaming, also has USB3.

You would do well to go talk to the gents in the enthusiast shops at Pantip Plaza. These include the several Jedi Cool shops (3 of them) on the ground floor, and the several others right by them. Look for the high-tech Cooler units in the windows, a good clue for the clientele, which is geared toward gamers and overclockers.

Sorry to be the one to correct you, but Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit is designed to handle up to 192 GBs of RAM. Even Windows 7 "starter" 64 bit version, which is the most basic version of '7' 64 bit you can buy, can handle up to 8 GBs of RAM. Correct however that the 32 bit "unmodified" versions of Win 7 can only do 4 GBs RAM, although there is now an unofficial "tweak" out, that will boost that handling up to 16 GBs RAM - though please don't ask me where to get it, as I have never had to use it. This link 8 GB makes a difference is interesting though as the guy has 8 GB RAM on a Win 7 32 bit O/S and although it reads that in system properties, in 'task manager' his 8 GBs only shows as 3581 GBs - with the system using the diff of the 4 GBs. The interesting point here though, is that when he actually tests it for performance differences running a program, it runs much slower when he takes out 4 GBs! Bit of a gamble, but if you can afford it, just try 8 GBs and see what the difference is for you. Also check out the following link on ZDNet. RAM specs for Win 7 Read this useful link on what the various Windows 7 O/Ss can handle. I have only 8 GBs of DDR3 1600 mhz, but will upgrade to 32 GBs next month (as that's all my mainboard will handle) as Alias's 3D Max 2011 can be very Ram hungry. This next link may enable me to overcome this problem and I will try it myself shortly. My final ink is this one ram workaround which gives a pretty good workaround to the RAM limitation. Lastly. A good alternative to the usual Phantip Plaza Pratunam drama, is the much newer Phantip Plaza 2, over on Ngarm Nong Wan road, near to "The Mall" Ngarm Nong Wan. It's well stocked with computer stuff, very well ordered and laid out, very clean, prices much the same as the more well known Phantip, has some pretty good repair and service shops at decent prices and you don't get those dam guys hounding the heck out of you and making a nuisance of themselves by whispering out the side of their mouth saying....sexy movie, you want, sexy movie.......hey, you .......sexxxy mooovieeeee. Apart from the shops selling computer stuff, there are also many nice shops selling all sorts of other goods too, including clothes, jewelery and even some antiques. I found the food there to be better too. Think it has 4 or 5 floors. Best of luck. Hope some of this can help you out. thebom

PS: I just found this link. You will find it a great relief. Win 7 32 bit will use over 8 GBs Ram And this one can be used on Win 7 I think as well. Ram tweak Also I would check out the price of a Samsung Hi - Def rather than standard monitor. You get a 5 year warranty on all their monitors too, which from my sons own experience, they honor. His 21" LCD fizzed after 3 years and they actually replaced it. When I asked them why the generosity, they said they don't fail very often!

Edited by newtronbom

I'd opt for a very small SSD for O/S and key applications and a larger normal hard drive for data, movies, music etc... which don't need to stream fast.

4Gb of Ram is plenty for gaming, buy the cheapest (but still branded).

Go Asus for the motherboard, I build quite a lot of PC's (15+ per year) and have had bad experience with Gigabyte and Intel motherboards here for some reason.

I'd go for a branded PSU (I like Corsair, Antec, Enermax) and the 5850 Radeon.

Intel over AMD everytime for me.

thanks for all the replies! am going to check out the SSD disk to.

I have these two systems to choose from

Intel I5 760 2,8ghz 6350tbh

Corsair 4gb xms3 ddr3 2300tbh

Radeon hd 5870 pcs+1gb power color 12950tbh

P55-ud3l gigabyte 3210tbh

WD1002faex 1tb 2850tbh

Power supple rx-53055 1450tbh

Monitor LG 21,5 4890tbh

DVD/dvdrw liteon 24x 690tbh

Case in win 2300tbh

Mouse microsoft desktop 590tbh

37000tbh

AMD Phenom TM II x 6 Processor 7990tbh

3.2 GHz, 3.6 GHz turbo Core, X6 40901

DDR 3 4gb (2x2gb) Corsair 1950tbh

WD1000 1000/1200 SATA 3690tbh

HD5850PCS 9120tbh

GA-880GA-VD3H 3200tbh

LG 24x 690tbh

Samsung 233T 5190tbh

Power supply 750W Corsair 4750tbh

Case 2900tbh

Discount -1000tbh

38500tbh

Seems that AMD uses more electricity an intel and that Intel has a better graphic-card but the processor is faster in AMD.

Guys which option would you chose?

If you're set on either those two systems I'd recommend going with the Intel one. Since you don't indicate that you're planning to transcode videos or other heavily threaded programmes the Intel bet is better. While stock it only is 2,8 Ghz, if it detects single or dual threaded processes running it will disable two of its cores and ratchet the other core(s) up to 3,5 Ghz....a bit of free speed which means it would definitely be better in gaming.

As others have mentioned, be careful of the power supply....the AMD system has a branded one and I don't even know what the specs are on the Intel system's PSU. If you can have them get you a 'real' PSU you can rest easy with the rest of the specs...even though I've been burned with Gigabyte before it was one of their workstation models.

Thanks for the advice! 'll check what brand the intel power supple was,

but it seems like most people I've talked to recommend intel system..

I agree that the intel systm seems the better option for you. I think you may have underestimated your power requirements though. Recon you need around 1000 watts at least. We all usually upgrade our PCs after a while, and add more hardware, so best to over kill, than run short. The graphics card alone, can chew up a lot. Check this one out. Good quality and not too expensive. Probably cheaper than this in Phanthip. 1000 wt power Good luck. thebom

Depending if ur system is just built for gaming , surfing , torrents.

i could give u a proper spec list. Never trust these shops to put u a "gaming pc" according to them.

a AMD gaming system is more than enough unless u really have to go to the Intel route for encoding purposes.

For gaming machines always -

Screen size = graphics card = how much of eye candy u want.

CPU chip - cheap 6 core

motherboard - Anything usable , dont need expensive stuff unless u overclock.

memory - 64bit OS?

Power supply - trusted reliable brand.

hard drive - SSD for random reads/write.