Update Failed

ignis

Please can someone help/advise ?

Something odd just cannot find the problem, let alone fix it.

I have Windows 7, Office 2007. Open Office,

Graphics card 1 MB 9800 GT

Athlon64X2(4600+/940)AM2/Dual-G

4 GB DDR 3 Ram

AMD Gigabyte 760G Motherboard

3 x 640 GB WD Hard drives

I built this PC about 2 years ago.

About a month ago had some odd problems with freezing would last a second or 2 then was fine, then it got a lot worse, and for a week looked at all the help I could find..

The Freeze = Not responding = 3 Browser + Word + Open Office + photo + simple games, so everything will freeze up.

Anyway 3 different programs I have installed long ago found no problems on my PC, so then went and updated all software and all drivers for everything on my PC, not a lot better… even used MS 'Fit It'

Then did a backup… Problem backup failed after 3 hours.. when I restarted a black screen came up to say checking one of my discs…. The disc with the backup on…. Then started normally, only this is my back up from before as well as the part backup was gone + the restore dates.. On that drive + Partition is only used for backup…

Reading more help pages, found could be the Graphics card driver went to ‘nVidia’ and downloaded the newest drivers, all faster and appears no problem……… Only thing NOT updated as no idea how is the BIOS

Tried to do a backup, again failed....... have tried again today also failed @ 20% and just over 3 hours… after the message then had the freeze again. Switched off and then re started and again scanned and deleted everything in that partition + the restore points, otherwise is running fine..

[Have done a backup to a RW- DVD] why will the PC not backup ? why is it taking hours ?

Could it be the Graphics card itself ?

NO new hardware or for that matter software has been installed for some months.

Thanks, will try anything

I'm sure some one with more knowledge will come along soon but in the meantime:-

Sounds like a HDD problem.

Check all your connections inside the computer especially to the hard drives. Unplug everything spray on cleaner and replug.

Disconnect all drives except the OS (Drive "C") and see if that works then reconnect drives one at a time, restarting each time.

Don't know if you can run "CHKDSK.EXE" on Win7 try if you can.

Run a program called "SpinRite" or "HDD Regenerator" or "Crystal Diskinfo" some are free some not.

Good Luck

:)

I'm sure some one with more knowledge will come along soon but in the meantime:-

Sounds like a HDD problem.

Check all your connections inside the computer especially to the hard drives. Unplug everything spray on cleaner and replug.

Disconnect all drives except the OS (Drive "C") and see if that works then reconnect drives one at a time, restarting each time.

Don't know if you can run "CHKDSK.EXE" on Win7 try if you can.

Run a program called "SpinRite" or "HDD Regenerator" or "Crystal Diskinfo" some are free some not.

Good Luck

:)

Yes done the "CHKDSK.EXE" a number of times....

'Sounds like a HDD problem' Can't see this as the same disk with partitions 'F' & 'G' I use 'F' every day many times.. 'G' is Backup only.. The 'Not responding' happens on all 6 partitions [ 2x partitions on each of the 3 HDD's] + on the Internet in Chrome, Firefox and I.E.

Thanks will look at the Disk programs.

Edit: Just looked and downloaded "Crystal Diskinfo" ran it and the report is 'Healthy' on all 3 HDD Drives

Edited by ignis

Thanks

post-42643-0-07202200-1293368664_thumb.p

Is this good ?

Forgot I change the CPU to the then brand new 7750

Edit: Just done this RAM Memory test, score is 7.1

reading the info page this is good... so cannot be that ?

Edited by ignis

Temps look fine. I wish my CPU was running as "cool" as yours...

Check your computer's memory... Run diagnostic tests and/or reseat the RAM. I suggest you do both, in whatever order you like.

You mentioned having 4GB RAM, therefore I will assume you have 2 x 2GB modules installed. Try running with only 2GB and see if there's any improvement.

Temps look fine. I wish my CPU was running as "cool" as yours...

:D Bought some years ago a 'Cool Master' changed it to this PC when I built it, as it is huge compared to the normal CPU fan... Never use air con hate them, so need something big in PC to keep it cool.

That's the WEI (Windows Experience Index) score which isn't a memory test per se. You need to run Memtest86 or Windows Memory Diagnostic -- see my first post. Either that, or swap out the RAM. It's no easy task to narrow down the problem, so I suggest you do both.

As far as diagnostics are concerned, you should run Memtest86 for at least 8 hours (let it run while you're asleep). There should be ZERO errors. Anything else = faulty RAM or wrong memory timings.

Edited by Supernova

That's the WEI (Windows Experience Index) score which isn't a memory test per se. You need to run Memtest86 or Windows Memory Diagnostic -- see my first post. Either that, or swap out the RAM. It's no easy task to narrow down the problem, so I suggest you do both.

As far as diagnostics are concerned, you should run Memtest86 for at least 8 hours (let it run while you're asleep). There should be ZERO errors. Anything else = faulty RAM or wrong memory timings.

Problem is the 1st step is to make a Boot disc.... Have not used floppy disc for years so did not even put one in this PC, appears no other option but floppy disc..

As I said in the 1st post the PC is running fine now after downloading the newest drivers from ‘nVidia’ , can open and run 30+ pages on the internet and have document pages open at the same time all running fine and fast.... just will not backup or save the restore points..

At this moment run backup and save it to a DVD, I have 10 x TDK DVD+ RW

Problem is the 1st step is to make a Boot disc.... Have not used floppy disc for years so did not even put one in this PC, appears no other option but floppy disc..

Boot disc = Bootable CD.

Download Memtest86 bootable ISO and burn to disc.

If using Windows Memory Diagnostic, follow these instructions for creating a CD Image.

PC is running fine now after downloading the newest drivers from ‘nVidia’

You should still run a memory test regardless.

Edited by Supernova