Surf, Exercise And Fresh Veggies

seeker108

Hi all,

I am loking for suggestions on where might be the best place to spend a couple of recuperative months just focusing on getting a lot of good swimming exercise and eating fresh veggies.

In Thailand I have mostly lived in CNX (and BKK to some extent). Four years ago I stayed on Phuket for a couple of months, mainly with friends and I really enjoyed Nai Harn beach. I grew up near the ocean on the east coast of USA and have always been an ocean enthusiast.

I have never been to Ko Racha Noi or Ko Racha Yai and know almost nothing about them, but was thinking that perhaps there or the Similan Island group or maybe even Ko Surin might be good (just based on location). Does anyone know anything about any of these islands (especially what they might be like since Dec. 26).

I guess I need to know if a decent bungalow or hut might be obtainable for a reasonable long-term price. I could bring in much of my own supplies and cook, or hire one there, and would also be hoping for local produce. Is Racha Noi even inhabited? Does anyone know what would be the most economical way to get to the ko Racha islands?

I am not looking for night life or a touristy experience. Just a place to exercise in the surf, relax and eat healthy as part of losing weight and ridding myself of diabetes.

I might even spend more time on Phuket if anyone knows of a small and reasonable place (Maybe near Nai Harn beach, or some other non night-life area) available for a couple of months

I would appreciate any info or suggestions.

Thanks

Seeker

I know several people who rent a simple bungalow at Ao Sane for a couple of months every year ( the next beach around from Nai Harn). It's nice, quiet, great for swimming and snorkelling and the restaurant serves excellent food ... but also close enough to Rawai markets to stock up on your own fresh food supplies.

A good recommended base to explore your other options for shorter stays perhaps. :o

Thanks Khall,

do u have contact info for this?

I am still hoping for something less touristy like a private home or bungalow, but like u say this may be a good starting possibility. I wonder what prices are like there now. I remember 4 years ago finally finding a small, but nice and new, off the beaten path, studio bungalow (5 min bike ride from Nai Harn beach) that would have cost Baht 4,000 monthly.

Thanks again.

Have you looked at the classifieds of the Phuket Gazette (www.phuketgazette.net)? There are usually lots of houses etc listed in there

Thanks Slackula,

I had forgotten about the Gazette, but four years ago and it seems now also the Gazette classifieds is not much help for what I am looking for. Word-of-mouth and referral is what found the nice tiny home last time (though I ended up moving to Chiang Mai instead).

Anyway I am still leaning toward a more secluded island experience. Anyone know anything about the Racha or Similan islands?

Hi seeker108,

I got your PM but I thought I'd post here since there are some general info.

Surf is up but not great at the moment (I heard) -Almost a month ago I got caught by a 2nd wave in Nai Harn that sneaked up behind me and it threw me back to the beach head first with a blo0dy cut lip and that was my last attempt till further notice. You can get nice surfable ones in Kata, and perhaps up north in Kalim, Surin, etc. After 5pm seemed best as the high water goes down.

There is a website that reports surf conditions around Phuket: http://www.saltwater-dreaming.com/

Not sure about Racha Noi or Yai or Similan at this moment. Doubt they are good though (surf wise). You can stay in Racha Yai but I'm not sure if it's open at the moment (I hear the bungalows there are pricey). Try googling, and then call them to check when you are here.

To get there from Phuket, either take a long tail/ speedboat from Rawai or Chalong. Usually I go on dive charter boats, so I won't know how much a boat trip will cost. I won't recommend staying at Racha Yai for too long. A few days, fine.

I did hear that the Andaman islands (Nicobar islands) are good for surfing. Organize a group of people, charter a boat and shared expenses to go up for a few days. Not sure if that is allowed/ available since the big wave.

I last recommended Kat 'The Little Mermaid' in Kata and she loved it. Depends on the area you want to stay and also your budget. If you are staying for a couple of months it's better to get a non-hotel place to stay.

Most of us are living in Chalong/ Rawai/ Nai Harn - it's not hard to get long-term-ish places to rent now.

Good luck and let us know how you get on :o

Edited by LadyinRed