Soul Music In Chiang Mai

Charlie_Rain

Is there somewhere in CMai that plays true Soul music, Northern Soul, and Motown? I know there is plenty of live music, and dance music, but how about the ONLY music?

Talking Sam Cooke, The Supremes, Teena Marie, Aretha, Isley Bros, Sly and The Family Stone etc.

I too have searched in vain and am pretty sure you will be flat out of luck for anything regular.

Kevin does play complilations but understandably it varies to keep everyone entertained which is fair enough and is not particularly "wall of sound" volume, aga. so everyone can have a yack (fair enough again)

I get my fix in a sly way several times a week at a small local Thai karaoke place in Wat Ket from maybe 5.00 pm to 8.00pm solid there is a farang guy who the owner lets plug in his Ipod into the karaoke machine. Fantastic collection (including some great live tracks/albums)...have heard there Ben E King, Sam Cooke, The Drifters, The Temptations, The Four Tops, Otis Redding, Jimmy Ruffin, Smokie Robinson (and the Miracles), Aretha Franklin, The Supremes, Blues Brothers, Ray Charles, (little) Stevie Wonder, Booker T, Dorothy Moore, Jackie Wilson, Marvin Gaye....and thats just off the top of my head.

As soon as the Thais start coming (around 8.00pm) the plug gets pulled so the machine can be coin fed for karaoke.

Love going there..and the live tracks are so much different (quicker/louder) than the studio stuff. You can really hear how great some of these artsists were live as entertainers as well as singers.

I too have searched in vain and am pretty sure you will be flat out of luck for anything regular.

Kevin does play complilations but understandably it varies to keep everyone entertained which is fair enough and is not particularly "wall of sound" volume, aga. so everyone can have a yack (fair enough again)

I get my fix in a sly way several times a week at a small local Thai karaoke place in Wat Ket from maybe 5.00 pm to 8.00pm solid there is a farang guy who the owner lets plug in his Ipod into the karaoke machine. Fantastic collection (including some great live tracks/albums)...have heard there Ben E King, Sam Cooke, The Drifters, The Temptations, The Four Tops, Otis Redding, Jimmy Ruffin, Smokie Robinson (and the Miracles), Aretha Franklin, The Supremes, Blues Brothers, Ray Charles, (little) Stevie Wonder, Booker T, Dorothy Moore, Jackie Wilson, Marvin Gaye....and thats just off the top of my head.

As soon as the Thais start coming (around 8.00pm) the plug gets pulled so the machine can be coin fed for karaoke.

Love going there..and the live tracks are so much different (quicker/louder) than the studio stuff. You can really hear how great some of these artsists were live as entertainers as well as singers.

That sounds pretty cool Robert, and I will 100% check it out (just have to leave this pesky UK --- in Summer 2011!!). But is there no club/bar that plays soul/Motown/funk/Northern Soul, even disco. I want to throw some moves and impress the ladies with my Soul Train-esque moves. Maybe I'll bring a massive collection of tunes and start a night?

That sounds pretty cool Robert, and I will 100% check it out (just have to leave this pesky UK --- in Summer 2011!!). But is there no club/bar that plays soul/Motown/funk/Northern Soul, even disco. I want to throw some moves and impress the ladies with my Soul Train-esque moves. Maybe I'll bring a massive collection of tunes and start a night?

Chaps, i will speak to the guys who own the Red Mango about a Motown / Soul night, to be fair i'm not sure if there would be much call for it myself but you never know.

By the way they have A NIGHT OF OLD SKOOL AND FUNKY DANCE MUSIC on New Years Eve if that's also your thing.

From what I have experienced Motown has limited (if any) appeal to Thais, especially younger "club girls in Chiang Mai.

Generally they seem happier with Usher, JayZ, Black Eyed Peas or what my father gnerally refers to as "doof doof" music.

Motown has had limited exposure and regarded as "old". As for impressing with your movess, good luck, they will not know what you are doing and may just regard you as a drunk farang.

The taste here seems to be pretty mainstream and modern...its not like the UK with various charts....

I remember in 1987 in the UK, "Stand By Me" charted againv (after a TV advert, and had already been up the year before from the movIE), One wonders how many doof doof songs will chart again in a few decades time.

From what I have experienced Motown has limited (if any) appeal to Thais, especially younger "club girls in Chiang Mai.

Generally they seem happier with Usher, JayZ, Black Eyed Peas or what my father gnerally refers to as "doof doof" music.

Motown has had limited exposure and regarded as "old". As for impressing with your movess, good luck, they will not know what you are doing and may just regard you as a drunk farang.

The taste here seems to be pretty mainstream and modern...its not like the UK with various charts....

I remember in 1987 in the UK, "Stand By Me" charted againv (after a TV advert, and had already been up the year before from the movIE), One wonders how many doof doof songs will chart again in a few decades time.

Mamo, i wouldn't expect young Thai girls to know anything about Motown and why would they ;) even the older Thais wouldn't have been listening to Motown in the 60's and 70's.

I was thinking of trying to attract Ex Pats for a Motown night not Thai's.

Mamo, i wouldn't expect young Thai girls to know anything about Motown and why would they ;) even the older Thais wouldn't have been listening to Motown in the 60's and 70's.

Could'nt .agree more and that was my point.

Methinks the OP was more interested in displaying his skills in a club/bar to Thais (and younger females at that), rather than Ex Pats (that may have well danced to these tracks when they were first released). Its hard to do the twist in support hose with a walker.

Having said that...bring it on to a venue and I will come with Thai wifey, I will dance, drink and grin, she will sit, drink and growl (not a fan at all).

Look forward to i if it can be arranged.:D

Methinks the OP was more interested in displaying his skills in a club/bar to Thais (and younger females at that), rather than Ex Pats (that may have well danced to these tracks when they were first released). Its hard to do the twist in support hose with a walker.

Having said that...bring it on to a venue and I will come with Thai wifey, I will dance, drink and grin, she will sit, drink and growl (not a fan at all).

It's not about impressing young Thai females with my soulful grooves, it's about them HEARING such incredible music. For any person regardless of race and creed and musical taste, soul music has a power to make one move.

But Chiang Mai NEEDS to have a soul/funk/Motown night, surely?

It's not about impressing young Thai females with my soulful grooves, it's about them HEARING such incredible music. For any person regardless of race and creed and musical taste, soul music has a power to make one move.

But Chiang Mai NEEDS to have a soul/funk/Motown night, surely?

I'm on the case Charlie.