24 Killed, 425 Wounded On First Day Of Thailand's 'Dangerous Seven Days'

webfact

24 killed on first day of 'Dangerous Seven Days'

BANGKOK, Dec 30 - Twenty-four people were killed and 425 were wounded in nearly 400 road accidents on the first day of Thailand's "Dangerous Seven Days" with past indicators showing that the major cause of accidents is driving under influence of alcohol, said a senior official of Transport Ministry on Thursday.

Deputy Transport Minister Sorayut Petchtrakul said the number of accidents on the first day of the high risk period (Dec 29 through Jan 4), was at 393, 12.28 per cent lower than that of the previous year.

In 2009, he said 40 people were killed and 425 were injured in 448 accidents on the first day of the campaign.

Mr Sorayut said that drunk driving is the major cause of accidents, following by high speed driving exceeding the legal limit. Most accidents involved motorcycles and occurred between 4pm and 8pm.

Krabi, Phangnga, Phatthalung, Phetchaburi, Lop Buri and Sa Kaeo provinces recorded the highest death toll in road accidents, with two deaths in each province.

The vice minister said that 2,501 checkpoints have been set up across the country, with 65,494 personnel being deployed. Over half a million vehicles -- 526,610 -- have so far have passed through the inspection process at the checkpoints.

Legal action has been taken against 60,497 people for violating traffic rules -- 19,260 for riding motorcycle without helmets and 18,916 for driving without licences, stated Mr Sorayut.

Mr Sorayut said that traffic congestion is expected in every main route heading to other regions Thursday as it is the last working day before the long festive holiday weekend.

He said concerned security agencies have been instructed to closely monitor drunken driving, illegal sales of alcoholic beverages during the banned time, and to buyers under age 20.

Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Director-General Wiboon Sanguanpong on Thursday warned drivers to be cautious over possible accidents due to poor visibility as temperatures are dropping and thick fog is expected in the northern region during this period.

He said roads may be slippery in some provinces of the southern region, particularly Phatthalung, due to heavy rain.

Meanwhile, Transport Co Ltd Managing Director Wutthichart Kalayanamitr said the state enterprise expected over 200,000 passengers to depart from Mo Chit Bus Terminal Thursday and 7,000 buses have been prepared to facilitate travellers planning to leave Bangkok for provinces throughout the kingdom.

Mr Wutthichart said today will be the most crowded for passengers at the terminals during the holiday period. Seven thousand buses can carry over 300,000 people who will go to their home towns to celebrate the New Year with their families.

On Wednesday evening, 220,000 people returned to their provinces from Mo Chit terminal, said Mr Wutthichart, expressing confidence that passengers will not be stranded at the terminals due to insufficient availability of vehicles. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-12-30

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The vice minister said that 2,501 checkpoints have been set up across the country, with 65,494 personnel being deployed. Over half a million vehicles -- 526,610 -- have so far have passed through the inspection process at the checkpoints.

Legal action has been taken against 60,497 people for violating traffic rules -- 19,260 for riding motorcycle without helmets and 18,916 for driving without licences, stated Mr Sorayut.

WOW, Those are overwhelming numbers :o

11.5% of drivers passing thru the check point got a blister. (assuming no driver got more than one).

For nearly every rider that was booked not wearing a helmet there was a rider or driver without a licence :o . If those statistics ring through at that same ratio, everytime you see a rider without a helmet, very close by is a driver without a licence.

Amazing Thailand.

On a side note, I wonder how many of those rider/drivers that were booked for not having a licence were allowed to ride/drive away after being booked? :blink:

11.5% of drivers passing thru the check point got a blister. (assuming no driver got more than one).

For nearly every rider that was booked not wearing a helmet there was a rider or driver without a licence :o . If those statistics ring through at that same ratio, everytime you see a rider without a helmet, very close by is a driver without a licence.

Amazing Thailand.

On a side note, I wonder how many of those rider/drivers that were booked for not having a licence were allowed to ride/drive away after being booked? :blink:

hi

can someone explain to a thick scotsman. why is there so much accidents and fatalities ?? i am baffled..

brian

Edited by webfact
quote fixed /Admin

Brian,

In 11 years of living in the Land of Smiles, I would suggest the following reasons for such crazy road death & injury stats:

1) Cultural indifference to the risk of death....Buddhist influence of reincarnation?

2) Little or no law-enforcement

3) Rampant bribery at all levels of society

4) Variations of the above

regards

Brewsta

Amazing Thailand.

hi

can someone explain to a thick scotsman. why is there so much accidents and fatalities ?? i am baffled..

brian

Amazing Thailand.

hi

brian

It is soothing to see how much the police can do in one day.

Imagine Thailand the safest place on the globe to drive... if only they could make it their job 24/7/365 ....

Dogs and motorcyclists are the menace to all.

4 kids on one scooter and not one helmet between them! - this is the symbol of Thailand....- and no police in sight....

Because of all said above, the authority's initiative for the Seven Deadly Days is yet another useless 'crockdown':lol:

On my 50 km ride back from Mukdahan city to the village where I am living and working I saw 3 police checkpoints today. At the first one they stopped me to fine me for not wearing a helmet. When I opened the seat of my motorcycle the ploiceman saw my helmet under the the seat and asked me why I am not wearing it. I told him, that I had been wearing in the city area - but took it off later (that was true!). He checked my passport, my driving licenses (everything ok with it) and started to talk about New Year's Eve, many accidents and so on and on ....

I told him about my job as English teacher in my village about 30 km further on and about the sports day together with the provincial governour the day before - and it worked. He remided me to put on the helmet right now - and send me further on back home ... without any fine. Lucky me that day.

But - infront of the law all people should be treated in the same way! Good for me to be able to talk in Thai to him, to mention my job and the governour - but this is not the way it should be!

BTW - the next 2 checkpoints were abandoned ...

To my knowledge their is no demerit point system which leads to a lot of repeat offenders.

A positive is the add campaign on the tv recently which pretty graphically shows the consequences of drink driving.

Maybe we will see some pro helmet campaigning in the future *fingers crossed

From the OP:

Mr Sorayut said that drunk driving is the major cause of accidents, following by high speed driving exceeding the legal limit. Most accidents involved motorcycles and occurred between 4pm and 8pm.

Of 60k people, 38k either were not wearing a helmet, or had no driving license. What about the other 22k people? Any 'driving under influence'?

If the major cause of accidents is 'drunk driving', may be the checkpoints are not situated at the right spots. Time for another commission to determine where to place checkpoints. Just marking the accident cases on a map may also do the trick, especially when you do this for various holiday periods and over the last ten years :ermm:

Comparison statistics for non-holiday periods are never included in these articles. Just the usual moronic carnage I imagine!

Actually, I've looked at that previously. History has shown that this time of year (as in most other places in the world) the injury and fatality rates increase significantly. The 24 figure isnt actually that bad with some days during past period where that number has double or even tripled.

Around 12,000 fatalaties per year, thats 30 odd per day.

YEAR: ACCIDENTS: FATALITIES: INJURIES: DEATH RATE: INJURY RATE:

1993 84,892 9,496 25,330 16.3 43.4

1994 102,610 15,176 43,541 25.7 73.7

1995 94,362 16,727 50,718 28.2 85.6

1996 88,556 14,405 50,044 24.0 83.2

1997 82,336 13,836 48,711 22.8 80.1

1998 73,725 12,234 52,538 19.9 85.5

1999 67,800 12,040 47,770 19.5 77.5

2000 73,737 11,988 53,111 19.4 85.9

2001 77,616 11,652 53,960 18.7 86.6

2002 91,623 13,116 69,313 20.9 110.4

I can give you more stats, theres plenty of them or you can look here;

http://www.iatss.or..../28/28-1-14.pdf

Edited by neverdie

On my 50 km ride back from Mukdahan city to the village where I am living and working I saw 3 police checkpoints today. At the first one they stopped me to fine me for not wearing a helmet. When I opened the seat of my motorcycle the ploiceman saw my helmet under the the seat and asked me why I am not wearing it. I told him, that I had been wearing in the city area - but took it off later (that was true!). He checked my passport, my driving licenses (everything ok with it) and started to talk about New Year's Eve, many accidents and so on and on ....

I told him about my job as English teacher in my village about 30 km further on and about the sports day together with the provincial governour the day before - and it worked. He remided me to put on the helmet right now - and send me further on back home ... without any fine. Lucky me that day.

But - infront of the law all people should be treated in the same way! Good for me to be able to talk in Thai to him, to mention my job and the governour - but this is not the way it should be!

Some people would say that a teacher should be setting a good example, especially to their students.

Wearing a helmet is one such example.

hi

brian

Brian, no insult intended, but in my opinion only someone who has not been in Thailand for more than, ooooh, a WEEK would ask that question. Thai drivers are notoriously reckless, aggressive and have absolutely ZERO comprehension of "rules of the road", and think that speed limits are merely "suggestion", or something for other drivers to obey, but not them.

Passing on curves with a double yellow line, then flashing their lights (sometimes) for oncoming traffic to get out of their way.

To a Thai, a yellow light, prior to read, means SPEED UP, not slow down, and most have this idea that if they are within 100 meters of a light when it turns red, that it's still okay to go through it.

They make left hand turns from the far right lane, and vice-versa, and usually with no turn signal.

And that's just those in cars, trucks, minivans, etc. The motorbike riders are just as bad. Zipping between cars at 60-80kph as if they're on a wide open road with no traffic. They will shoot out of a side soi (street) without even bothering to look and see if there is any oncoming traffic, and most male riders drive as if they have been shot full of testosterone and have no fear of death.

Take all those things, then add in alcohol, and perhaps a few other things, and you see why there are so many deaths and accidents in Thailand, especially during the holidays.

I've been riding mini bikes, dirt bikes, and larger motorcycles (Harley Sportster, Ninja 650) all my life, and have also raced dirt and motocross. Now I drive a new Honda CBR 150, and you know what? There are times when I will take the car instead of the bike because it's just safer to do so.

Table 3 Type and number of vehicles involved in road

accidents, 2000-2002

Type of Vehicles Number of Vehicles

2000 2001 2002

Passenger Car 37,440 38,437 44,019

Bicycle 1,770 1,942 2,584

Motorcycle 37,498 41,215 53,732

Light Truck 21,372 22,785 26,226

Medium Truck 2,624 2,696 3,220

Heavy Truck 3,780 3,668 4,523

Bus 6,010 6,593 6,114

Others 3,994 3,961 4,700

Total 114,488 121,297 145,008

Source: The Royal Thai Police

Amazing Thailand.

Yes, overwhelmong numbers indeed, but " Mr Sorayut said that drunk driving is the major cause of accidents ". How many of the remaining 22,321 offenses were for driving under the influence of alcohol ? You would think that this would be the most important statistic !

..and if there were a substantial number charged for drunken driving, were they also allowed to drive home ?

You are incredibly unfair. The police officer shows you some compassion and understanding and you consider him a fool for letting you off? Has it occurred to you that the police officer probably figured you were the typical teacher living a hand to mouth existence and took pity on you? I really don't think he was impressed by the fact that you were in attendance at a local sports day during a governor's visit. The whole intent behind the checkpoints is verify driver permits, to reduce speed and to encourage people to wear a helmet and use seatbelts. It's called education. By letting you go, the police officer did what police officers in the west do, they take into consideration the type of offense and whether or not your learnt your lesson. The cops in Thailand can't win can they? You didn't put too much value on your life when you took off the helmet did you?If you do not consider your life to be worth something, how then can you expect others to respect you. I am not surprised you are a foreign teacher in a rural area.

Amazing Thailand.

hi

brian

One must also understand statistics. You can make the numbers look like anything you want. Especially if you need to make them look good or bad for you or someone else. I don't believe any numbers from national sources. I live, obey the law, check in every 3 months and stay out of the way.

In 2004 the following figures were fatality rates based per MVK (Million vehicle Kilometres)

Thailand: 2.85

Canada 0.01

France 0.02

Germany 0.02

Italy 0.01

UK 0.01

USA 0.001

Bahrain 0.002

Egypt 0.44

Oman 0.04

Yemen 0.11

The figures are directly from the Thailand Accident Research Centre.

Came through about 15 checkpoints yesterday evening in an 85k drive back home in Ubon and SiSaket provinces. Not one showed any interest in stopping traffic - just lay people sitting around marking up traffic numbers and chatting to each other.

Are these village checkpoints, having been given some kind of authority by the police I understand, supposed to be doing anything useful? My TW just tells me they are there to 'help local people' if there are any troubles or accidents, whatever that means. I suspect that if Fred down the road came riding or driving thru' one of these checkpoints pi$$ed out of his head they would have a laugh and wave him thru'.

Is there any attempt by the government, through TV advertising say, to change the laissez faire attitude?

I go to a party thrown by my wifes uncle - a policeman - and there's loads of booze and all his police friends and mates drive there and back. If I decline more than the odd drink 'because I'm driving' you should see the incredulous looks I get. Love it though we do, Thailand is another (self-deluding) planet sometimes.

Amazing Thailand.

hi

brian

One reason - no enforcement of traffic laws. Add to that - I have seen on more than one occasion a motorcycle cop taking his daughter to school with the daughter not wearing a helmet. Leading by example. I would hazard a guess that if the traffic laws were enforced - at least the laws against speeding with the consequence of failure to pay the fine resulting in the loss and auction of the offender's vehicle, the result would be a reduction in said offences, and therefore traffic fatalities/injuries.

I wonder how many of those rider/drivers that were booked for not having a licence were allowed to ride/drive away after being booked?

all of them, of course - how else to get these people out of sight?

Edited by thurien

Before we were married I paid for my now wife to have driving lessons in Bangkok and was very pleased when she passed her test. I hired a car as we had decided to tour Thailand (15,000 km in about 5 months). I wanted my fiance to help me with the driving. After she drove for about 200 metres I took over and did the remainer of the driving. After we were married we moved to the UK for about 4 years and she had proper driving lessons, however she had first to "unlearn" what she learned in Thailand. Asking her to learn to drive in Thailand was a big mistake. She has now a UK driving licence and now fully appreciates just how bad Thai driving actually is in general. However Driving in Thailand, I now have a Thai driving licence, has made me a better driver because in the UK you tend to expect the other driver to follow the Highway Code. In Thailand I am much more aware of all the other vehicles around me and what they may or may not do! Most Thai drivers are self taught which is probably worse than being taught by instructors!

Edited by Billmont

I wonder how many of those rider/drivers that were booked for not having a licence were allowed to ride/drive away after being booked? :blink:

All of them! I was in that situation myself already.