Affirmation Of Freedom To Marry

Hello Everybody

If I was to get Married in Thailand, I understand I have to get an Affirmation of freedom to marry first... Question is, is it true that if I hand in my paperwork to the British Embassy, and then get it signed in front a British Consular official, before 11:00 hrs will be ready for collection in the afternoon ???

How quick can One get Married in BKK ???

Reasons for my questions are because, now I'm working in the UK, its hard to get time of work, is it possible to do all this in a week or two?? I could fly to BKK, do the affirmation of freedom to marry first, get papers translated, marry in Bangkok, I then could fly back to the UK, and the misses could then change Passport, ID Card, etc and then file for the Spouse Visa.

Alan

Hi Alan,

I was in pretty much the same boat as yourself.

This was our experience.

Sunday, I arrived in Thailand.

Monday 8am, submitted the Freedom of Affirmation to Marry to the British Embassy.

Monday 9am, went to the IOM to organise the TB test.

Monday 12am, returned the Xray to the IOM.

Monday 2:00pm, received the results (All OK fortunately)

Monday 2:30pm, collected the Freedom of Affirmation to Marry from the British Embassy.

Monday afternoon got the Freedom of Affirmation to Marry translated in the Shopping centre across the road from the Embassy. (Make sure you check the translation, ours was OK but some have had problems)

Many in this forum have mentioned it is worth getting your marriage certificate translated in to English once married, we listened to that advice and used the same translation shop to ensure consistent spelling when going back in the other direction. Also a good idea to get your wifes birth certificate translated too, it really does make things easier when you finally make it back to the UK.

Tuesday 8am, submitted the translated version of the Freedom of Affirmation to Marry to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for legalisation.

Tuesday 11am, collected the legalised version of the Freedom of Affirmation to Marry.

Now from this point on you can get Married at any Amphur but if you want your wife to change her name the only place this can be done is at the district office in her home town.

We travelled to her home town on Tuesday afternoon, got married and changed the name on her ID card on the Wednesday.

Changing names on ID cards is a 30 minute job but changing names in passports means a new passport in this world of digital passports and that takes 2 days.

Applied for a new passport due to the name change at 8am on Thursday at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and collected it the following Monday.

Visa applications are accepted up until 3:30pm at VFS, my wife turned up at 9am this Monday morning after having collected her new passport and was seen at 1pm, out by 2:30pm (2 applications, one for her and one for her son).

This might also be of help

There's a fair bit of travelling involved, here's a bit of a guide using mostly BTS where possible.

Map here >> http://www.bts.co.th.../Route_BTS.html

British Embassy.

BTS Ploen Chit

Map here >> http://www.into-asia...s/ploenchit.php

IOM

BTS Sala Deang

Map Here >> http://www.vfs-uk-th...emkij%20map.pdf

Then off to get Xrays, choice of two hospitals, we used Payathai 2

BTS Sanam Pao

Map Here >> http://www.phyathai..../contact/m2.htm

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

BTS to Mo Chit, use exit 3 or 4, can't quite remember, then you can get a mini van from 25 BHT each to the Ministry or get a taxi, the ride was about 30 mins at the time of day we went.

VFS Global Bangkok

BTS Ratchadamri

Map here >> http://www.vfs-uk-th.../images/map.jpg

I hope that helps, good luck.

Top post above :thumbsup:

Just a question on what you've written below:

Now from this point on you can get Married at any Amphur but if you want your wife to change her name the only place this can be done is at the district office in her home town.

We travelled to her home town on Tuesday afternoon, got married and changed the name on her ID card on the Wednesday.

Changing names on ID cards is a 30 minute job but changing names in passports means a new passport in this world of digital passports and that takes 2 days.

Applied for a new passport due to the name change at 8am on Thursday at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and collected it the following Monday.

When the gf come's to the UK and we get married on a fiancee visa how do we go about changing her name, getting a new Thai passport in the UK?

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

When the gf come's to the UK and we get married on a fiancee visa how do we go about changing her name, getting a new Thai passport in the UK?

RAZZ

That's tricky because it would mean a trip back to Thailand as the ID Card name change is a pre-requisite to the Passport name change and the only place that can be done is at the district office in her home town.

Then there's the complication/expense of either having to carry around old and new passports with marriage certificate or transferring the visa to the new passport.

Changing her family name isn't required by law and there are many that haven't done so, we just chose to do so.

Just to confirm the consular section opening hours,

We accept affirmations during normal consular public hours on Monday to Thursday at 08:00 - 11:00 hours and collections only at 13:00 - 14:00 hours, and on Friday at 08:00 - 11:00 hours and collections only at 11:00 - 12:00 noon. An appointment for this service is not necessary. The affirmation which is submitted before 11:00 hrs will be ready for collection in the afternoon.

(Source)

RAZZ

That's tricky because it would mean a trip back to Thailand as the ID Card name change is a pre-requisite to the Passport name change and the only place that can be done is at the district office in her home town.

Then there's the complication/expense of either having to carry around old and new passports with marriage certificate or transferring the visa to the new passport.

Changing her family name isn't required by law and there are many that haven't done so, we just chose to do so.

Aland2012

MMMM !!! Thats a good point, in getting married first in the UK, makes it very hard to change her name, because she will still have to go back to Thailand to do this. So is it better then to Marry in Thailand first, change her name, change passport and ID card and Bank Details, then get the Spouse Visa ( not Fiancee Visa ? ). Then come to the UK and get Married.

Am I right in thinking this is a better option, to get things done in Thailand first???? But in changing her name means that she will have a new passort, so it will not have all of her old stamp in it like Holiday Visa Stamps etc, would this be a problem?

Or like you say, does One really need to change her family name? Does it make a difference to life in the UK, as in paperwork???

I feel like it makes me feel better like more of a couple, and then what about if we were to have children in the UK.

Alan

I did not change or my wife did not change her name on her ID card or passport , It can be done later, you could do all the paperwork and get married in two days, If it was for settlement visa maybe three days. If you did you paperwork and booked your appointment at the Visa centre, before you arrive in Thailand , you could get the Chest ex ray done, Get married and submit your settlement visa in three days.Job done

Edited by Thongkorn

getting married first in the UK, makes it very hard to change her name, because she will still have to go back to Thailand to do this.

I believe that this is now the case. However, there is no compulsion under UK law for a wife to take her husband's surname upon marriage, so having her Thai ID card and passport in her maiden name will not effect her status in the UK in any way. It is also permissible under UK law to have more than one name, as long as there is no intention to deceive or defraud or some other criminal purpose. Therefore she could use your surname in the UK and her maiden name in Thailand, until she changes it.. Just remember that the name on any airline tickets must match the name on her passport.
So is it better then to Marry in Thailand first, change her name, change passport and ID card and Bank Details, then get the Spouse Visa ( not Fiancee Visa ? ). Then come to the UK and get Married
I think that it is better to marry in Thailand and obtain a spouse visa because:-

It cuts out the FLR stage and fee (as explained to you in another topic).

Fiances cannot work in the UK until after the marriage and they have FLR; spouses can work in the UK immediately they arrive.

However, it is a personal choice.

Remember, though, as explained to you in another topic, if you have married in Thailand it may be difficult to find a registrar to marry you again in the UK, as legally you will already be married. Legal Thai marriages (that's the ampur registration) are recognised in the UK

But in changing her name means that she will have a new passort, so it will not have all of her old stamp in it like Holiday Visa Stamps etc, would this be a problem?
No, her old passport will be canceled and returned to her, so she can still use it as evidence of previous travel for her visa application. Also, any valid UK visas in the old passport would still be valid, she simply carries both old and new passports plus your marriage certificate to show the link.

We married in Thailand 10 years ago, and although my wife changed her ID card immediately after the marriage (I think it was a legal requirement then, but is no longer) she did not change the name in her Thai passport until it expired, some 4 years after our marriage. By which time she also had a British passport in her married name!

As I said above, there is no reason why she cannot use whatever surname she wishes in the UK, regardless of the name on her Thai passport and ID card. If (when) you have children, you and she can decide which surname you wish them to have.

Thanx 7by7 you really know your stuff, yes, thinking now not to worry about changing family name. Just concentrate on getting my love to the UK.

Alan

Edited by 7by7
Unnecessary quote of preceding post removed.

You're welcome.

Should add that if her Thai passport is in her maiden name and she is using her married name in the UK, then should she need to produce her passport to prove her identity, e.g. applying for a NI number, then she should produce your marriage certificate as well (with a certified translation if you marry in Thailand).

MMMM !!! Thats a good point, in getting married first in the UK, makes it very hard to change her name, because she will still have to go back to Thailand to do this. So is it better then to Marry in Thailand first, change her name, change passport and ID card and Bank Details, then get the Spouse Visa ( not Fiancee Visa ? ). Then come to the UK and get Married.

Sorry but I do not understand the last sentence, if you have been Married in Thailand then you do not have to get Married in the UK again, you just submit your Marriage Certificate at the Registrar in your hometown.

Edited by beano2274

you just submit your Marriage Certificate at the Registrar in your hometown.

You can deposit your Thai certificate with the General Register Office (GRO England / Scotland / Northern Ireland) in the United Kingdom. This not a legal obligation and has no bearing on the validity or otherwise of the marriage. It simply means that you are able to obtain a certified copy of your marriage certificate directly from the GRO, should you need to do so in the future. You can either do this via the embassy in Bangkok (and pay their fee) or once you are in the UK.

Are you saying, Beano, that your local registry office will do this for you? If so, how much does it cost? The embassy currently charge Baht 1,850.

Personally, I don't think it's worth the time or effort, let alone the fee, but it's an individual choice.

From the FCO website:

Applying to deposit your certificate

If you live in the UK you can apply through our office in London.

Deposit of Marriage certificate Form (Link)

Deposits of Foreign and Commonwealth Civil Partnership Documents Form[/u]

We can’t accept personal callers so all applications are dealt with by post.

Ensure you send us all the documents we ask for on the checklist of the form plus two copies of the application form.

You’ll need to send us your original documents with two photocopies so we recommend you send them by special delivery.

Please enclose a self-addressed, pre-paid special or recorded delivery envelope for the safe return of your passport.

We’ll send an acknowledgement letter and return your passport within 20 working days.

Your marriage/civil partnership certificate will then be sent to the British Consulate in the district where the marriage took place.

After certifying the certificate the Consulate will then forward it onto the General Register Office (GRO). The GRO will write to inform you that the documents have been deposited. Please note it can take 2-3 months for the certificate to reach the GRO from our Consulate.

Please note your original certificate will not be returned and once documents are deposited they cannot be released.

The GRO issues black and white certified copies of original certificates and their translation on GRO paper which are usually accepted in the same way as an original copy.

Added - the links do not work please go to the FCO website, the first link opens to produce a word document

Edited by beano2274

That was my mistake, you can send it to the FCO in London whilst you are in England, the instructions are above, I believe it would be cheaper than the Embassy way. Am sure someone really interested in doing it could contact the FCO and get the prices.

Please Note

Sorry I do see my mistake, why would the FCO Post it back to Thailand and then get send it back to the UK, what a run around

Edited by beano2274

why would the FCO Post it back to Thailand and then get send it back to the UK, what a run around

I think a clue to this is in your quote from the FCO:

After certifying the certificate the Consulate will then forward it onto the General Register Office (GRO).

It is a run around and, as I've already said, I don't think it's worth the (admittedly minimal) effort.

Hi Alan,

I was in pretty much the same boat as yourself.

This was our experience.

Sunday, I arrived in Thailand.

Monday 8am, submitted the Freedom of Affirmation to Marry to the British Embassy.

Monday 9am, went to the IOM to organise the TB test.

Monday 12am, returned the Xray to the IOM.

Monday 2:00pm, received the results (All OK fortunately)

Monday 2:30pm, collected the Freedom of Affirmation to Marry from the British Embassy.

Monday afternoon got the Freedom of Affirmation to Marry translated in the Shopping centre across the road from the Embassy. (Make sure you check the translation, ours was OK but some have had problems)

Many in this forum have mentioned it is worth getting your marriage certificate translated in to English once married, we listened to that advice and used the same translation shop to ensure consistent spelling when going back in the other direction. Also a good idea to get your wifes birth certificate translated too, it really does make things easier when you finally make it back to the UK.

Tuesday 8am, submitted the translated version of the Freedom of Affirmation to Marry to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for legalisation.

Tuesday 11am, collected the legalised version of the Freedom of Affirmation to Marry.

Visa applications are accepted up until 3:30pm at VFS, my wife turned up at 9am this Monday morning after having collected her new passport and was seen at 1pm, out by 2:30pm (2 applications, one for her and one for her son).

This might also be of help

There's a fair bit of travelling involved, here's a bit of a guide using mostly BTS where possible.

Map here >> http://www.bts.co.th.../Route_BTS.html

British Embassy.

BTS Ploen Chit

Map here >> http://www.into-asia...s/ploenchit.php

IOM

BTS Sala Deang

Map Here >> http://www.vfs-uk-th...emkij%20map.pdf

Then off to get Xrays, choice of two hospitals, we used Payathai 2

BTS Sanam Pao

Map Here >> http://www.phyathai..../contact/m2.htm

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

BTS to Mo Chit, use exit 3 or 4, can't quite remember, then you can get a mini van from 25 BHT each to the Ministry or get a taxi, the ride was about 30 mins at the time of day we went.

VFS Global Bangkok

BTS Ratchadamri

Map here >> http://www.vfs-uk-th.../images/map.jpg

I hope that helps, good luck.

Hi,

We got the whole thing done in half a day and a morning really, the wife got her TB certificate pre to my arrival. We used an agent and it cost B6,000 all in but can do on your own. I was pushed for time so didn't want any problems and I must say for what was then less than £100 it was well worth it, they did all the paperwork, translations and paid for taxi fares to and from the hotel, embassy, their office and registry office, everything. I just sat there and got lead around and was back drinking beer legally married in Suk by 2.30.

Happy Days

Hi,

We got the whole thing done in half a day and a morning really, the wife got her TB certificate pre to my arrival. We used an agent and it cost B6,000 all in but can do on your own. I was pushed for time so didn't want any problems and I must say for what was then less than £100 it was well worth it, they did all the paperwork, translations and paid for taxi fares to and from the hotel, embassy, their office and registry office, everything. I just sat there and got lead around and was back drinking beer legally married in Suk by 2.30.

Happy Days

Thats interesting, do you still have their details ??? Because that might be a root I will go, so you and your wife to be, went around to all these places with an escort, they where with you till the point of marriage ???

So now you are going for the Spouse Visa to the UK???

Can I organize a the TB test in the UK and bring the documents with me or does this have to be done in Thailand ?

Where would I obtain the Freedom of Affirmation to Marry?

you apply at your embassy.. in bkk,,

Can I organize a the TB test in the UK and bring the documents with me or does this have to be done in Thailand ?

you apply at your embassy.. in bkk,,

Yes, but does the TB test need to be carried out in Thailand or can I have it carried out in the UK and the cert will be recognised by the thai officials ?

Why does anyone need a TB test?

Not required for marriage in Thailand or the UK.

Is this something needed to get the spouse Visa to the UK?

Yes a TB test is required if you wish to settle in the UK.

Edited by theoldgit

It is the person wishing to visit the UK who needs to be tested...

Cut&Past from VFS Global http://www.vfs-uk-th.com/tb.aspx

Applicants who want to come to the United Kingdom for longer than 6 months will need to obtain a certificate confirming that they are free from infectious tuberculosis (TB) before submitting their visa application.

To obtain the necessary certificate, applicants will need to attend the clinic run by International Organisation for Migration (IOM) staff at:

Kasemkij Building

8th Floor, 120 Silom Road

Bangrak, Bangkok 10500

Tel: +66 2 234 7950-5

Fax: + 66 2 234 7956

Email: bkk.tbdp.uk(at)iom.int

If it is the case your Fiancé is in the UK at present, IOM do have offices in the UK but I am unsure if they do TB testing in the UK and if they did whether their certificate would be valid for submission in Thailand, I doubt any certificate issued by any other organization would be acceptable either.

Edited by 7by7
direct email link removed to frustrate spambots.

For details of obtaining the AFM, assuming one is British, see Guidance for British nationals wishing to marry in Thailand. Other nationalities should obtain their AFM from their own embassy.

You do not need a TB test in order to marry in Thailand.

However, visa applicants who want to go to the United Kingdom for longer than 6 months will need to obtain a certificate confirming that they are free from infectious tuberculosis (TB) before submitting their visa application; see Tuberculosis testing for applicants visiting the UK for longer than 6 months.

Obviously the test cannot be carried out in the UK as it must be done before the visa application. Indeed, as can be seen from the link, for applicants in Thailand only certificates issued by the International Organisation for Migration clinic in Bang Rak are acceptable.

Edit: Must type faster!

Edited by 7by7

• 3 months later...

When I am filling out the affirmation of marriage, as I have 2 jobs do I list both i.e. Civil Servant / Bar Person or do I just enter my main occupation but enter my combined earnings. Sorry for sounding like a complete tool but I just want to get it right.

When I am filling out the affirmation of marriage, as I have 2 jobs do I list both i.e. Civil Servant / Bar Person or do I just enter my main occupation but enter my combined earnings. Sorry for sounding like a complete tool but I just want to get it right.

Hi

Fair question.

IMHO, I would keep it simple and only mention your main daytime occupation. As long as your declared earnings are reasonably in line with this, then I think you should be ok.

Regards