Traffic Accident Pattaya North / 3Rd Road

jori

Thai guy jumped red lights straight into a fast moving line of traffic with two females passengers aboard on motorcycle. Inevitable consequence..bodies lining the road.

The effort that was exerted to pin the absolute blame on farang driver of pickup was truly amazing,dozens of Thais coming out of the woodwork to invent a story as to pin the blame on the hapless and helpless farang was amazing and truly evil. I suppose in one sense he was to blame for the fact he was in Thailand,if not here it would never have happened.

Heated exchanges,my limited Thai,but for the fact my longstanding TGF was informed she would be dumped there and then if she did not speak up in the defence of the innocent farangs.

If any of you are viewing this thread I hope you escaped the wrath of those b*****rds, the girlfriend just wanted to get away as soon as she informed the cops of the circumstances

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TIT

Always the foreigner to blame ! a friend of mine had a DRUNK thai fly out in front of him on his motorbike, no chance to stop and bang, the thai losts his legs ( even those the police knew he was drunk ) and my friend had to pay a hefty fine or face prison...

its a sad fact, but in Thailand a one way street doest mean one way, and if you are green ALWAYS check, as thais do have a habbit of jumping red lights

TIT

Always the foreigner to blame ! a friend of mine had a DRUNK thai fly out in front of him on his motorbike, no chance to stop and bang, the thai losts his legs ( even those the police knew he was drunk ) and my friend had to pay a hefty fine or face prison...

its a sad fact, but in Thailand a one way street doest mean one way, and if you are green ALWAYS check, as thais do have a habbit of jumping red lights

Yes, I do not condone the attempts to put the blame on the farang, but I would like to know if the Thai motorcyclist passed the lights just after they turned red and whether the farang driver put his foot down the second his light turned green.

If so, he should know that this is a dangerous thing to do as there are always a few vehicles that will pass a junction after the lights have changed to red.

If you drive in Thailand, you should be aware of the way Thais drive and be prepared to react accordingly. It matters little if you are obeying the law but an 'avoidable' accident occurs. Who knows? - next time it may be the farang lying in the middle of the road and it will be cold comfort that he was simply following the Thai traffic regulations.

• Like 1

Was well and truly the Thais fault,did not even stop behind a line of us waiting for the lights to change.There is no way ,no way at all I would pay a cent if not my fault.

Already had an incident a year ago that was not down to me,cops tried every which way to make me pay but I refused. Glad when my rotas finished here,

Edited by Rimmer
Racial Flame

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Car-Camera-DVR-Video-Recorder-w-2GB-SD-Card-/310235099779?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item483b73f283

http://www.electroflip.com/shopexd.asp?id=108

Here are two links to solve this in good health & safety fashion engineer theproblem out the camera cant lie seem to be inexpensive but ideal for this situation there are more expensive versins available.

if you can afford the big 4 x 4 in thailnd this is a bargain i have already ordered one

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item483b73f283

http://www.electrofl...pexd.asp?id=108

Here are two links to solve this in good health & safety fashion engineer theproblem out the camera cant lie seem to be inexpensive but ideal for this situation there are more expensive versins available.

if you can afford the big 4 x 4 in thailnd this is a bargain i have already ordered one

i have two cameras in my car with fold down viewing screens, front and back

i have a spare one with night vision but no screen if anyone wants one here and now

4000 in Tuk com, 2000 from me, boxed as new no offers

believe me when i say i enjoy my driving a good deal more now with this protection

Once a Thai woman backed into my car while I was driving in the carpark in Foodland. She was held to blame (after I chased her inside).

In another incident, my car was hit while I was driving by a Thai driver overtaking illegally. He was held to blame.

I always hear these stories about Farangs completely in the right being blamed. Has anyone experienced this FIRST HAND?

I suppose to balance things, people should also chime in FIRST HAND experiences of being in the right and *not* being blamed.

Edited by Jimmyd

Once a Thai woman backed into my car while I was driving in the carpark in Foodland. She was held to blame (after I chased her inside).

In another incident, my car was hit while I was driving by a Thai driver overtaking illegally. He was held to blame.

I always hear these stories about Farangs completely in the right being blamed. Has anyone experienced this FIRST HAND?

I suppose to balance things, people should also chime in FIRST HAND experiences of being in the right and *not* being blamed.

A Thai cut across me to turn right on Sukhumvit. An outrageous piece of stupidity and I hit his back end, as he cut across me. The people in the car tried to make me pay (?!), then tried to call it quits, but I insisted they pay for my damage, and they flatly refused.

So I called the police thinking "F. you", and sure enough they began to worry when i did so. The police came, thoroughly professionally weighed up the incident, the road and the damage, listened to them. listened to me (well, I speak no Thai but I drew a diagram anyway) and he took us all to the cop shop, where he fined them for dangerous driving, handed me their insurance details and his business card in case there was any problem with their insurance!

Superb service at Soi 9.

Another time in the North of Thailand a tractor reversed into me. The driver ran away (Burmese illegal I think). I knew no-one in that town, and still went to the police. They found the owner of the tractor, and made him pay me 20,000 baht for the damage.

So my experience of Thai police and traffic incidents is overwhelmingly positive, but maybe I've just been lucky.

Edited by sharecropper

A Thai cut across me to turn right on Sukhumvit. An outrageous piece of stupidity and I hit his back end, as he cut across me. The people in the car tried to make me pay (?!), then tried to call it quits, but I insisted they pay for my damage, and they flatly refused.

So I called the police thinking "F. you", and sure enough they began to worry when i did so. The police came, thoroughly professionally weighed up the incident, the road and the damage, listened to them. listened to me (well, I speak no Thai but I drew a diagram anyway) and he took us all to the cop shop, where he fined them for dangerous driving, handed me their insurance details and his business card in case there was any problem with their insurance!

Superb service at Soi 9.

Another time in the North of Thailand a tractor reversed into me. The driver ran away (Burmese illegal I think). I knew no-one in that town, and still went to the police. They found the owner of the tractor, and made him pay me 20,000 baht for the damage.

So my experience of Thai police and traffic incidents is overwhelmingly positive, but maybe I've just been lucky.

Send me six numbers from one to forty-nine .Thanks

• Like 2

I have two rules that I follow. Never be the first to go when the lights turn green and never be the last one just before the lights turn red. :)

Excellent advice. Better to reach your destination a few minutes later than to end up maimed, dead or facing trumped up charges and a hefty pay off.

.There is no way ,no way at all I would pay a cent if not my fault.

It's great you have so much confidence in your ability to do everything your way. But sometimes paying is the best way even if you're not a fault. Paying could save you time in jail or high legal costs, far in excess of a negotiated settlement. If it's your word against a Thais and you have no credible witnesses, what will you do when they make up a story?

I have two rules that I follow. Never be the first to go when the lights turn green and never be the last one just before the lights turn red. :)

Forget about rules, just keep your eye open. Your rule could easily get you into trouble when a person jumps mid-point between changes as Thais often do.

This incident was not caused by changing traffic signals,the guy and women charged out into heavy speeding traffic , through a red light( not about to change ) laughing into what I would describe as likened to a suicide mission.

Just like to get the facts correct

This incident was not caused by changing traffic signals,the guy and women charged out into heavy speeding traffic , through a red light( not about to change ) laughing into what I would describe as likened to a suicide mission.

Just like to get the facts correct

Fair enough. I guess we've all seen so many motorists jump lights just after they've turned red that we assumed that was the situation with this particular incident.

There is nothing anyone can do if some nutter charges out into speeding traffic except keep your eyes very alert and always expect the worst to happen.

I think it is true to say that there many 'close calls' in traffic here that would have almost certainly resulted in accidents in the west. In our home countries we do not expect nutters to do crazy things in front of us and we are not prepared for it when it happens; but in Thailand, all western drivers must develop a second sense, always expect the unexpected and be very alert the whole time they are driving.

It's not the fact that it whas a falang driver.....

the fact is it whas a car....

motobike/car exident 99% is always the car's fault...........even it is not the car's fault

Edited by Rimmer
Rule 8

A postscript...All of two days after this incident numerous phone calls in Thai to my phone,sometimes eight in one hour leads me to assume ..yes a Thai national wants to speak to me.

Putting two and two together methinks it is an injured party,...I did leave my phone number with other farangs as to witness statement,but to no avail other than get a bunch of flowers prepared AKA my baseball bat.

Somebody robbed of ill gotten gains,somebody smarting? no doubt. Still Happy New Year to One and All :lol:

When lights turn green, never ever enter the crossing immediately, but wait 1 - 2 seconds then gently accelerate, looking for any later traffic from left and right. No 100 % protection but a good advise.

Otherwise avoid any speeding, drive slowly and carefully, be aware of any traffic entering your lane from the left, without taking a glimpse. Obeying those advises, however you might be rolled over from behind. TiT.

Superb service at Soi 9.

I have had 2 accidents since settling in Thailand :-(

Before these accidents, not a blemish on my driving record.

In the 2 accidents, one was the fault of the other party and the other accident was "doubtful"...both were fairly dealt with and I did not feel any of the "motorcyclist vs car" or "thai vs foreigner". While waiting for police, the Thai motorcyclist offered me a cigarette. No ranting or raving, just respect and concern by me and the other party as is normal I imagine.

I am not doubting the veracity of the horror stories that I have heard. But in my own direct experience, and I hasten to add the first hand experiences of people I know, we all seem to have been extraordinarily fortunate not to have encountered the "mercenary-rob/blame-the-farang-Thai" that many of TV posters seem to have accidents with or heard of from mates at the bar..

It's not the fact that it whas a falang driver.....

the fact is it whas a car....

motobike/car exident 99% is always the car's fault...........even it is not the car's fault

Not in my experiance ,i was hit by a motorbike overtaking on the inside while i was turning left ,the bike did not belong to the girls riding it but her brother ,who turned up at the same time as my wife ,he apologised for the accident ,bollocked his sister and apart from the fact that i gave up waiting for the insurance guy(since changed insurers) that was it.

Excellent advice. Better to reach your destination a few minutes later than to end up maimed, dead or facing trumped up charges and a hefty pay off.

Sorry but have to disagree in the case of driving a bike on Sukkie...Since changing from my sports bike to a chopper..i am now shit scared on that road because i dont have the acceleration to get away from the Thai drivers...Usually at lights as long as YOU LOOK IN EVERY DIRECTION AT LEASE TWICE then get the hell away from the jam it's by far safer than waiting for all the madmen in pickups just cutting you up like your not even there...

You need to anticipate everything, but you also need speed for Sukkie.

You don't need speed for Sukkie you just need to be careful. Sports bike owners are always trying to justify their need for speed.

Sorry but have to disagree in the case of driving a bike on Sukkie...Since changing from my sports bike to a chopper..i am now shit scared on that road because i dont have the acceleration to get away from the Thai drivers...Usually at lights as long as YOU LOOK IN EVERY DIRECTION AT LEASE TWICE then get the hell away from the jam it's by far safer than waiting for all the madmen in pickups just cutting you up like your not even there...

It's a judgement call. There are some situations when I can accelerate out of trouble as I have a very fast car. However I have to remember that as the rest of the traffic is going much slower than me, their reaction to my accelerating manoeuvre may not be as I would expect it to be. It's a bit like trying to walk fast in a crowded Thai side walk - you will end up bumping into everyone.

In and around road junctions, proceeding with extreme caution is the rule of the day and quite frankly, the longer I have lived and driven here, (35 years and counting), I have concluded that the number of times I can safely use speed to get out of a tricky situation are becoming few and far between. My right foot is very, very gentle on the gas pedal unless I have a 3-lane open road in front of me. Then I can put my foot down, but even then I must always have eyes in the back of my head and keep my wits about me as you just can never tell what you might encounter around the next bend - maybe a ten wheel truck coming straight at you on the wrong side of the road.....

Sorry but its a myth that Farangs are blamed for just being in Thailand for accidents, I am sure Farangs have been blamed before unwittingly but its one of the stupid comments that I hear people say after another stupid person has told them.

I work closely with the Thai police and its rubbish, sure they are different in dealing with this issue but if a Thai is to blame then the Thai will be held responsible, getting compensation from a poor Thai national is another matter but if a Thai is to blame in 99% of cases then thats that.

Those who tell you the Police only stop Farangs and blame them for everything for being in the country is rubbish, its often said by people who just heard it from another fool.

Sorry but its a myth that Farangs are blamed for just being in Thailand for accidents, I am sure Farangs have been blamed before unwittingly but its one of the stupid comments that I hear people say after another stupid person has told them.

I work closely with the Thai police and its rubbish, sure they are different in dealing with this issue but if a Thai is to blame then the Thai will be held responsible, getting compensation from a poor Thai national is another matter but if a Thai is to blame in 99% of cases then thats that.

Those who tell you the Police only stop Farangs and blame them for everything for being in the country is rubbish, its often said by people who just heard it from another fool.

My personal experience tells me this is absolute rubbish. It may be how it is supposed to transpire but there is "by the book" and reality. Calling people who disagree with your rose tinted views "fools" is just arrogant on the posters part. I can recall getting a ticket for going 50 metres up a one way to reach Second Road - a 500 baht fine. As he was writing the ticket 3 Thai's on one motorbike drive right by us going the wrong way with no helmuts, I pointed this out and the police officer just shrugged. No difference being a farang? - bullocks. Similar incidents have happened where as a farang I have been targeted and tea money requested, no tickets were issued and the money was requested to be given discreetly to the police officer. On the other hand I have been treated fairly by many police so please don't make blanket statements that all police treat all farangs fairly and equally as Thai nationals - it just isn't so. I have never had an accident here but will be cautious if I do and will not wear those rose tinted glasses you like so much, I may be a farang but I am a realist.

I don't think that's what Danlo is saying. Sure the police will target farangs for petty fines, not unsurprisingly as they have more money, although in Pattaya I've seen just as many Thais pulled over. Danlo is thankfully adding some sensible comment on the ridiculous myth that 'farangs are blamed for every accident' because they're in Thailand and if they weren't the accident wouldn't have happened.

Edited by brewsterbudgen

You don't need speed for Sukkie you just need to be careful. Sports bike owners are always trying to justify their need for speed.

That's a sweeping statement...i'll be the first to say that driving slow is just as enjoyable as driving fast....but when you drive slow on Sukkie everybody is passing you and cutting you up. If you can stay ahead of the traffic then you only have to keep your eyes peeled for cars turning etc....but statistics show that if you have 1 motorcycle accident, then you are more than 4 times more likely to have more accidents..(i read that in a poll of bikers in MCN.) So in other words if you are good with your eyes and observe the traffic flow then you should not have an accident and if you do have one then the chances are you will have more than one.